Thread: Dragon USD2 in Alabama

Default Dragon USD2 in Alabama

Today while working on my boat at the Nelson Boat Yard in Gulf Shores, Al this prize appeared.
    Dragon USD2 built in 1947 and has not been in the water since the early 1980's.
    The boat just arrived today from New Jersey where the boat had recently been restored.

Mickey,
    The owner wants me to give you his phone number, I will PM the number to you.
    The boat will lay in the slings tonight and they will step the mast tomorrow.

Buddy Jumonville

Default Re: Dragon USD2 in Alabama

Who built it...which yard.....when?

Kairos

I was not able to get much time with the owner as he was busy preparing the boat for a long awaited launch and had just completed a very long drive.

He said Mickey Lake knows the boat, hopefully he will drop in and give us the details.

Buddy, thanks again for posting photos. I see that Nelson's is still going strong. I understood that there was some condo deal in the works at one time. Is the Biloxi schooner still down there?

Guys, this is the boat that was at Mystic two years ago. Built in 1947 in Norway, iirc. The Dragon was an Olympic boat from 1932, but there weren't any built in the States until quite a bit later and the best and fastest came from Europe during the whole Olympic lifespan. This boat was restored by Carter Richardson and his crew of young IYRS grads and sold by the fellow who owned her without really having a chance to do much sailing. She was bought by a guy who has houses both down here and in Maine, and I guess he is going to keep her in the water down at Bon Secour. We have two other boats in Mobile at the Buccaneer YC and maybe we can get together some time this winter or spring? Hope so.

She is indeed a beautiful boat and the guys who restored her did a great job.

Mickey Lake
    USA149 'Rune'

lol! My wife tells me that they towed her east towards Pirate's Cove, passing Lulu's on the way (by water). She said that she shouted at the guys in the boat 'hey, that's a beautiful boat. I've got one of those'. So maybe they will keep her down there, which would mean that we probably won't see her at Mobile any time soon. It's a long trip.

Oh well. I'll drop by and see her every now and then.

Mickey Lake

Is the Biloxi schooner still down there?
    Yes she is. I bought the schooner and am now preparing her to be towed back to Biloxi where I will start a major rebuild.

The bottom is severely worm damaged.

Buddy

Oh wow! I can't tell you how many times I fantasized about buying her. I am very glad to hear that she found a happy home. If you ever need a spare hand I'd love to go out on her some time.

Mickey Lake

If you ever need a spare hand I'd love to go out on her some time.
    Yes, you would be welcome to sail with us any time. It would be great to have someone aboard with your sailing experience.

There is much to be done on this boat to get here sailing again.
    About 70% of the bottom planking needs replacement and many frames need to be replaced from the turn of the bilge to the keel. The centerboard case needs total replacement and she is completely gutted inside with only one bulkhead in place.

I am expecting it to take about two years to get her sailing again.

Buddy

Talked to the owner for awhile last night. He said that she leaked in about a quart of water and sailed like a dream. Right now she is only using a main and jib. A lot of the really old boats just used the jibs, though things have changed considerably now. I don't even own a jib.

Glad to hear he's happy with the boat.

Mickey Lake

A nice old thread. How did 'Maple Leaf II' wind up?

The Dragon in question and his second Dragon (Richard Holk) both were carried up to Maine where Richard retired permanently. I miss seeing them, but they are in a better spot for wooden boats than coastal Alabama. Both those boats are gone and another, glassfibre Dragon, moved to Colorado. My glass boat is also for sale, though I am keeping my woodie. I figure at the least my kids can have the keel dropped, dump my ashes in there when the time comes, and burn her with me inside. I think that'd be a good way for the both of us to go.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Drachen, I am asking for a set of planes for Christmas.