Thread: Babson Island 14 Build

Default Babson Island 14 Build

I posted some pictures of the finished boat in the designs plan section of this forum under the title SLIGHTLY MODIFIED BABSON ISLAND 14. Now that I have the finished uploading the build photos I thought that I would do a thread on the build.

First we built alot of parts

I started building parts for the boat in march. I started out with the molds and then I did the transom, breasthook darggerboard, rudder, thrawts, seats, mast, yard, sprit, tiller, daggerbaord trunk, skeg, inner stem, outer stem and a bunch of stuff I can't remember.

More to come.

Default Re: Babson Island 14 Build

in may I built the strong back, and moved the build out of the garage. I don't think it shows very well in the pictures but, the best space I had available to build the boat in was a well slanted concrete patio. I had to figure out how to build a sturdy level strong back.

What I ended up doing was using those pre made concrete footers with a slot for a 4x4 that they sell at the big box stores. It worked really well, I put a thick piece of polythene down over the whole patio before I set up the strong back which made final clean up much easier.

I tried varnishing the transom, before I installed it on the boat. I ended up having to sand down and re varnish the exterior transom, but not the inside of the transom. My wife and her sister had a lot of fun on the project.

Instead of pre-coating all the plywood with epoxy I used the interlux clear primer sealer. I did 2 coats and I think it helped a lot my first coat of paint primer went on like a 2nd coat. The primer was really easy to apply, dried quickly and sanded easily.

More later.
    Last edited by rnboatworks; 11-20-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Fantastic photos', keep them coming, it looks like a fun build. (though could you rotate those that need rotating? Ok for me, I have a laptop, but others??)
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Nice pictures and wonderful boatshop! Good choice with the MDO panels and nice strongback set-up! With such a team of skilled workers....well now...how can a chap not succeed! I'd be weary of your lead hole driller though, she doesn't look like the type who takes "no" for an answer easily!

Cheers!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

So the next step after attaching the sides was attaching the bottom. I took Tom Hills suggestion and made the bottom out of 5/8 and the sides out of 1/4. It worked very well to scarf the bottom in place. We attached the bottom with thickened epoxy and #8 bronze screws.

More later

I LIKE the macro shots of the screws for the bottom planks -- very nice! Also gives a good view of what marine ply should look like.

"The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

In this installment we attach the sheer clamp/rubrail, get ready to glass the bottom, and pose with more tools.

More Later

close up of the fiberglass cloth this is after the first coat, we put on two more flow coats of resin after this.

Milling the pieces of half round, we made these by hand with block planes and sandpaper. The crew loved this job.

Drawing the line to position the half round.

Installing the half round

The half round epoxied and screwed in place.

More to come

excellent!

not as a critique, because you are doing what looks to me like a fantastic job. But if you were to do another one, you might want to run the gunnls through the router for a half round on the outside edges before putting them on. I know this from not doing it on my last 12-foot skiff and wish I had, takes paint better and if it does take a chip on the edge it does not try to splinter apart because it is under tension.

Thanks for sharing the build pics, looks great, I saw the other thread.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Nice going. There's going to be a lot of fun for you once that beauty is launched.

Good job on getting a couple pretty assistants. I think they will have that boat in the water more than you by the looks of the smiles on their faces. Guess you'll have to build another so you can get some time on the water too.

Now me, I can only get the fuzzy faced, bald headed old geezers to join my crew. What's up with that?...must be doing something wrong.
    "Take good care of the earth, for it was not given to you by your Grandfathers but loaned to you by your Grandchildren."

Native American Saying.

In this installment we install the plank keel and the skeg.

At about this point in the build, the crew took a clean mixing cup and filled it with betty crocker chocolate frosting, which looked disturbingly like the faring filler we were using on the boat, they pretended to put some on the boat and then ate a big spoonful. They were excepting me to freak out, but since I had been thinking about doing the same thing myself I didn't freak-out which was very disappointing to the crew who then accused me of callous indifference to their health and well-being.

Looks like you had fun. We NW boys always have the best looking wives/girlfriends! Aren't we lucky.
    Jimmy

In this istallment we pull the boat off the strong back and look inside.

More Later

In this installment we fit and install the frames.

Cutting out a frame.

The dread wooodenboat ninja.

Sanding frames

more later

In this installment we cut the hole for the daggerboard trunk.

More later

Thanks for the posts! Great documentation of a build. I love it when someone does this. Makes it easier for the rest of us to learn.
    Jimmy

In this installment we apply three coats of interlux clear coat to all of the bare plywood.

more later

In this installment we prime the hull

Playing the ruddebr />

installing the quarter knees

more later

In this installment we do a bunch of random sanding painting and finishing.

Sanding the hull

cutting the seats to length

More later

Great Work!
    I suspect if there were more lovely work mates like yours, there'd be a lot more wooden boats being built!

Wow! That's really coming along. Good on you and your helpers! I think it's awesome that the younger ones are working right along with you.

Launch day will be soon...I can hardly wait for those photos.
    "Take good care of the earth, for it was not given to you by your Grandfathers but loaned to you by your Grandchildren."

Native American Saying.

i like the color scheme so far. very nice.

In this installment we finish the oars.

I love these oars, I used alaska yellow cedar which produced a light strong and beautiful oar.

More later

Tell me why there are three oars & only one of them leathered.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

I used all the see through leather on the first two and had to go with plain old latigo for the spare

Actually there are three oars because I wanted to have a spare . And only one is leathered because I hadn't gotten around to leathering all three when the picture was taken. And I don't have a picture of all three oars with the leathers on.

lovely thread. Do you have more pictures to share of building the oars? I see an early stage in the very first picture there...

These are all of the pictures i could find of the oars.

The Handle

Varnishing

The tips of the oars showing the ash tips

The transition between the shaft and the blade

Oars in various stages of progression.

I used a pattern that I found in 25 Woodworking projects, published by Woodenboat. I lofted the pattern on to a piece of door skin. Their were two patterns one for the plan view of the oars and one for the profile of the spoon section I used a piece of 12 x 8 8/4 alaska yellow cedar. I started by ripping the stock into 4 pieces that were 2 x 13/4 from these four 12 foot pieces I cut my three oar shafts at 8'6" and then used the rest to cut the six "ears". I glued the ears onto the shafts with epoxy. after gluing the ears on to the shafts I glued the hardwood tips onto the side that would become the inside of the spoon section. When all the gluing was done I traced the pattern out on the oar blanks. I did the rough cutting on the band saw, I cut the plan view on one side and then I cut the inside profile of the spoon section and finally i cut the planview of the second side. With the blank to this stage I started working the oar down from the blade toward the loom, using a combination of hand power plane, low angle block plane spoke shave DA sander and various grits of sandpaper. I highly reccomend the oar pattern, the chapter in the book was originally published in the magazine so you might be able to find it that way. I love this set of oars, the are well balanced and light. And they move the boat really well.

More later

Making the sail.

My friend Ben did the layout and machine work and I did all the handwork. It 's good to have friends that are sailmakers

The finished sail showing the clew and reef patchtes.

The finished sail in use.

More later.

This is a beautiful build and excellent documentation! Thanks for sharing such an in depth chronical.

Now.

Tell us about the Lotus 7 replica in the background
    "The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place." -Arthur Ransome

Davidagage,

You have a keen eye, that is indeed a lotus 7 in build in the background. The Lotus is my cousin Tor's project, we were sharing the garage. I'm not a car guy but I know he built the frame from plan and is using a volvo sedan as the donor car. I haven't seen the project in a while but I think he has the frame suspension done and still needs to do the plumbing, electrical and body work.

In this installment we launch the boat for the first time.

More later

Bump.

Congratulations on a great boat, and a fantastic thread.

I don't know how I missed this when you were posting it.

Rufustr,

Thanks, I had a great sail on the boat today I have been refining the boat, I built a cover and tuned up the rig some, when I get some pictures taken I'll post the refinements. The boat is great I have really enjoyed it.

This is suddenly an old thread now, but if you are still around--how much time did it take to build that sail, and did I understand that a friend of yours sewed it? I am gearing up to do a sail.