Thread: 1911 25' Class Acrospire II Melbourne - and Skuthorp

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Default 1911 25' Class Acrospire II Melbourne - and Skuthorp

Here are a couple of photos of the rather lovely Acrospire II that lives on Albert Park Lake in Melbourne, (Australia). I had hoped to get some of her sailing but the guys that are the “custodians” gave the distinct impression that they could be farting around all afternoon before getting their act together to go sailing.

I had a very pleasant catch up with Jeff “Skuthorp” for a coffee on Sunday morning at Albert Park Lake and we were admiring her on her mooring when a couple of guys bought her alongside. Jeff originally hails from right by the lake so knows more about her history and may have some more photos (I believe he has done a previous thread on her here so may come in with some more photos?), but she is been restored quite nicely from what I understand was a rather sad state and certainly looks worth the effort.

As to the somewhat “odd” name, this from a site about “Acrospire IV” -

It is said that his yachts were named Acrospire because they were built in the malt house and Joe White saw a similarity between their growth and the growth of the tiny sprout from the barley seed known to brewers as the acrospire, which indicates to the brewer that the barley is ready for brewing. In fact, not all the Acrospires were built in the malt house.” http://acrospire.spaces.live.com/Blo...DtnA!106.entry

While we were waiting around to see if the guys could get their A’s into G and rig her up, Jeff went exploring the Sea Scouts new shed, having been closely involved with them in the past. He came out and told me that he’d volunteered himself to rebuild the rotten hull on this old girl hidden amongst a whole lot of plastic hulls, (and currently being used to store kayaks). I’m hoping he’ll be along with a few details on her:

Jeff with his (next?) project:

Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Mandurah, Western Oz....or Wongawallan Qld......or....er..somewhere in-between

Default Re: 1911 25' Class Acrospire II Melbourne - and Skuthorp

As an aside, nothing to do with sailing but from the same weekend trip to Melbourne (which by the way was for my school reunion). Jeff had also put me in touch with a rather amazing Violin maker by the name of John Ferwerda, who I visited while in Melbourne for the weekend with my grand fathers old violin to see if it was worth restoring. Although it is marked “Antonius Stradivarious Cremunsi” (not sure of the spelling without it here) I was under no illusion that it may have been a fair dinkum “Strad’”, but John had been keen to see it “because you never know where the real ones may turn up”.

Anyway here are a few photos of his shop. First of all, this fantastic band saw that he uses to make such small, fine, stunning works of art as his violins:

Oh, as to my violin, he has dated it from 1860 and from a maker in Saxony, Germany and of sufficient value to make it worth spending the $700.00, or so, on restoring it (when I get a job and can afford it). Despite its value my intent is simply to restore it to the condition that it was in when entrusted to me after my grandfathers death, ie perfectly good and playable, so that it can stay in the family.
    Last edited by Larks; 11-08-2009 at 08:31 PM.
    Larks

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
    Because those that matter...don't mind...
    And those that mind.... don't matter."

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Default Re: 1911 25' Class Acrospire II Melbourne - and Skuthorp

Thanks.