Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipmate Stove

Default Shipmate Stove

Getting to be that time of the year, bout time for their return anyway.

Shipmate Stoves afire again

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D1

Default Re: Shipmate Stove

This is VERY good news!

I am a confirmed Shipmate fan; I started with a Skippy, which is now a flower pot, and now I have a rather smart open fireplace type also by Shipmate, but I always really wanted a 201...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Downingtown Pa (S/V NIrvana down in Rock Hall, Md)

yeah I'll be the judge of the quality of that thing...

-Thad
    There is a joy in madness, that only mad men know. -Nieztsche

Barnguy, YOU are the seller on that eBay listing. I'm happy to learn that Shipmate is up and producing again if that is indeed the case. We'd all like to hear about that, but about the only rule here besides a prohibition of full frontal nudity is self-advertising.

Tell us about the product and who's making it again, but don't try to advertise or everybody will think you are a creep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Barnguy, YOU are the seller on that eBay listing. I'm happy to learn that Shipmate is up and producing again if that is indeed the case. We'd all like to hear about that, but about the only rule here besides a prohibition of full frontal nudity is self-advertising.

Tell us about the product and who's making it again, but don't try to advertise or everybody will think you are a creep.

Always so reassuring to have an internet nanny-cop online
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

I am indeed one and the same but didn't mean to offend. My posting wasn't meant to be one of a commercial nature but instead was more akin to a proud new poppa anouncing the arrival of his progeny. I'll pull my pants up now.....can I claim wardrobe malfunction?

"A man cannot be said to succeed in this life who does not satisfy one friend."Henry David Thoreau: Journal, 19 February 1857

Good stoves for bigger boats, verrrry heavy. Have a friend when taking that puppy down the companionway for sure.

Barnguy, I like your disclaimer at the bottom of your eBay listing :
    "death or worse"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Triggs View Post
    Always so reassuring to have an internet nanny-cop online

Bob Cleek was one of the founders of this place.

And he's right.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I'm delighted, too.
    A functioning web site is the least offensive way for someone to plug your product. I suggest that at least you put up a pic of the product and some contact information on www.shipmatestove.com

I have what so far is the only model of Shipmate stove of its kind I've ever seen, and I've been around a while. It's a two burner alcohol stove built of cast aluminum and stainless and very nicely done. The burners, however, are not the Primus type, but rather are large copper castings. It puts out the largest, hottest alcohol stove flame I've ever seen, but also seems to have been the cause of the widespread belief that alcohol stoves are fire hazards. When it flashes up, it REALLY flashes up.

I've tried to find some information on the Shipmate line. The stove I have bears the Shipmate label with the text "Richmond Ring Co." I learned when I first acquired it that Shipmate had at that time just gone out of business, but I couldn't find anything on line that mentioned anything about the history of the company. It was sad to learn that another boat supplier that I'd always presumed would just always be around had bit the dust.

Can you fill us in on the details? Have you acquired the patterns and are making new castings? Enquiring minds want to know.

(And I'm not that freaked out about "advertising" in here. I just thought I'd mention it gently before somebody else took your head off.)

The Scoop on and my romance with Shipmate Stoves

Six years ago I fell in love with a 75 year old double ended Alaskan salmon troller named Vagabond and embarked on a three year complete restoration and conversion of the sweet little fishing boat and an exciting journey into the past. Early on in the fitting out process of the troller I came across a tired little boat stove (a Shipmate knock off called Household Marine) and completely restored the stove for use in my troller. Once completed with the boat restoration, I cruised the Pacific Northwest doing the wooden/classic boat show circuit gathering up new friends and adventures along the way. Glowing comment after comment would roll in about the stove wherever I went with the boat and my relationship with the little hunk of cast iron grew with each and every piece of dry old oak I fed her as did my interest in other shipboard solid fueled stoves. Before I knew it, I had amassed dozens of old wood and coal burning boats stoves and yellowed stove company catalogs and began thinking about resurrecting a line of old shipboard stoves. I focused on Shipmates as they had gone out of business some time ago and was the obvious solid fuel boat stove of choice. As fate would have it, The Richmond Ring Company and the last Shipmate Stoves were made a mere 5 minutes my home and the new home of Shipmate Stove.

A Brief Shipmate History

As best as I can surmise, Shipmate stoves started off in Stamford Ct. in the mid nineteenth century as several models of the many stoves made by Stamford Foundry founders Issac Wardwell and George Waring before changing hands in the mid 1900’s to the Marine Manufacturing Company of New Brunswick NJ. The next change came when the Shipmate line of stoves was acquired by The Richmond Ring Company in Sourderton Pa. They ceased operations as a result of the dramatic downturn in boat sales courtesy of the luxury tax of 1991and some management style friction between Richmond Ring partners. The Shipmate stoves and their availability then entered a dark age for more than 15 years until I resurrected and trademarked the name and began work in earnest on bringing them back to life and back to their faithful wooden and classic boat aficionados.

For the past six years I immersed myself in the world of pattern making, metallurgy, machining and foundries. New patterns for the Skippy and Model 211 were made for each and every part using both wood for the patterns as well as aluminum match plates. My pattern makers are men from the old school and took great pride to take the time to work together closely with the foundry on things like thin castings, hot pours, poorly fitting parts and surface finishing before re-introducing them to the World again. Minute modifications to patterns were made time and time again for more than 2 years to get as nice as fit as possible while still maintaining room for expansion and contraction and not straying too far from the original stoves’ design. Meanwhile I absorbed as much Shipmate knowledge as I could get my hands on. I brought my troller to the East Coast and spent many weekends visiting historic societies and maritime museums up and down the East Coast to try and gain a better understanding of Shipmate’s history and much heralded stoves.

Currently, The Shipmate Stove Company Inc. consists of myself, a machinist and a sub contracted pattern maker and we operate out of a small timber frame barn in history rich Bucks County Pennsylvania. Ok so it’s not right on the beach but the Durham boats used by Gen. George Washington to invade Trenton on Christmas night in 1776 were made right up the road. If not for those boats we’d all be watching Cricket today instead of The Phillies beating up properly on the Yankees. But I digress…

The stove parts are cast by two east coast foundries who together have more than 215 years experience casting stove parts. In addition to the Stoves, we are making bronze deck irons and smoke hoods for the stoves as well as two types of folding boat sinks. Another stove model is also in the works.

New Shipmate Modifications

The new Skippy has been modified to have thicker castings, very slightly different
    body proportions as well as the option of a rectangular top version. The latter two modifications were both derived from the nicely made Shipmate knockoff
    Washington Stove works Gypsy. The original Skippy’s were prone to breakage in
    either the corners of the base plate or in the legs due to very thin castings and so the new Skippy’s design took into consideration the best of both the Gypsy’s and the original Skippy’s better design features.

The new Model 211 remained basically the same with the exception of some thicker castings to resist warpage, a firebox viewing window, some updated internal flue diverters and the addition of a raised letter slogan on the oven door.
    “Always reliable…Fair weather or Foul” The slogan had been used to market Shipmate Stoves for years during the early part of the 1900’s and I thought it fitting to adorn the “new” stove with the “old” slogan.

Personal Aside

My goal in this affair is simple. It is to offer the quality and reliability that people have come to rely on from Shipmate throughout the names long distinguished life at sea and have some fun at the same time. Respecting that history and my responsibility to preserve and enhance it have been paramount to me from day one and shall continue to be a priority as long as I am steward of these great boat stoves and their great name...Shipmate.

I’ll be happy to remove this posting immediatly if it in any way, to anybody, whiffs of advertising.
    Just thought I’d give an overview since it seems I’ve stirred up the nest a bit. Last thing I want to do is upset or offend anyone.

Warmly & Respectfully
    Sean Tracy
    Shipmate Stove Company Inc.

Far from being offended, I am delighted.

It was very distressing when Shipmate gave up, because there has always been a consistent low level demand for these products.

May I may a semi-technical point - the two Shipmates that you have back in production differ from the Washington Stove Works Sardine and Little Cod (both excellent) in a couple of respects.

The Skippy does not have firebricks, and will burn pretty well anything, including driftwood, but it is not happy with house coal or anthracite, which burn too hot for it; it can be mounted either fore and aft or athwartships because it has no side or front door - it is top loading only.

The 211 is intended to be mounted athwartships; the doors are on the front. Conversely the Sardine and Little Cod are intended to be mounted fore and aft.

The point is that one should never mount a coal stove with a firebox door opening across the boat...anyone who needs to ask why has not been to sea in a small craft...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Sean,
    Are you using WD patterns in Trappe? If I remember the manager is a british guy named Warren. I worked for them years ago. That's where I learned about patternmaking. and they used to specialize in aluminum matchplates.

Sorry I didn't call you yesterday. I do look forward to coming out and seeing your shop.

Are you using the last iron foundry in reading out by muhlenburg township?I forget their name, but I think they are closest to doylestown, unless there is one up in allentown.

-Thad

We have indeed used WD for much of the pattern work but originally used a gentleman out of Lancaster County named Raymond Martin who sadly, is no longer with us. He was a great craftsman and a good man. We use Unicast for some parts and Benton foundry for others.

Is Warren still the manager in WD? I havent been in there since about '95.

There were about 6 old guys working there and they all still lived like it was still 1955. Great guys, all of them. more talent in that one building by the firehouse than in most of mongomery county all put together!

-Thad

It's not advertising if you're simply letting everybody know about a resource that's become available again! LOL

Shipmate made a lot of interesting stainless and cast aluminum liquid fuel stoves as well. I'm not sure if they ever did get into bottled gas. These were especially nice because they had the mass to work well on gimbals. Most all of the smaller gas and liquid fuel cooktops now available, save for the likes of the Taylors, are flimsey affairs that can't take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Glad to see somebody's putting Shipmates together again. You will likely find a steady demand for deck irons, particularly those with a lip that holds cooling water around the stack. Bronze ones were always pretty rare. There used to be iron ones about, but they are scarce as hen's teeth these days. Similarly, you'll have call for stack parts and smoke heads. Finding a good smoke head for marine use is tricky.

Do you know whatever happened to Shipmate's pattern library? I shudder to think it went into the landfill or the fireplace! It seems odd that nobody immediately picked up where they left off, or even paid a pittance for the company name. There's gotta be a history there.

Now, if someone would just start making the alcohol and kerosene "Sea Swing" stoves again!

On this side of the Atlantic, exactly the same job was done by Mol-Con Gimbals (which take a No. 5 Primus)

I've only had a good look at one Shipmate kerosene stove, but it did seem as good as a Taylors.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    Now, if someone would just start making the alcohol and kerosene "Sea Swing" stoves again!

I can see an another enterprise for Barnguy there , a simple pattern ...it would look good in sil bronze .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Perhaps the Sea Swing may/could live again....Have to get through the next Shipmate model..the Model 80, and finish up the folding sinks before I can bite off yet another project.

I met with one of the former partners of Richmond Ring and suprisingly he expressed little remorse that the Shipmate divisision went south. It seems that there were some opposing factions at that time who wanted to do different things with the direction of the business. He also cited internal financial distress coupled with the crippling luxury tax of 1991 as major contributers in the demise of the company. A auto body repair shop is all that remains at the old Richmond Ring shop today.
    Last edited by Barnguy; 11-01-2009 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Spelling whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Bob Cleek was one of the founders of this place.

And he's right.
    Thank you Deputy!!!
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

A wet halloween downrigging in Chestertown this weekend. Some hot chowder and Lagavulin took the edge off for sure.

The alcohol and kerosene sea swing stoves are being made, alive and well, from stainless steel. I just sent a brand spanking new one to Spinner for her boat. The fellow that builds them lives aboard, takes orders, and then makes them all every six months. He and the wife go sailing....collect orders, build, deliver, and leave again...so far they have been damned good. Ask her to open the box as I also sent her all the papers...she can get the details for posting for those interested.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Fair enough....me thinks my primary focus could be effected if too diluted with yet another pattern/casting project. Cool stoves indeed the hanging guys are. Never had one but imagine that they make life a wee bit more tolerable when sloshing around in a blow.

Anybody seen a Shipmate 134 or 135 around lately?

Like Bob Cleek, I have a cast aluminum Shipmate. It is a four burner, double oven stove fueled by propane.
    My wife tells me that if we ever sell Sans Souci we have to take the stove with us.

I had a Shipmate model 982 on Magic. Bought it in 1976. It was a stainless two-burner with oven and was gimballed. Burned alcohol. It worked well. Most of the bad things said about alcohol stoves were not a problem.
    I recollect that the same stove was available equipped for propane as the mfr. was willing to supply parts to convert it.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 01-01-2010 at 03:32 PM.

The last gimballed stove that I purchased, and subsequently passed to Aulikki (Spindrift) was purchased from Atom stoves.....google atom stoves or yachtatom@hotmail.com <yachtatom@hotmail.com> and you'll get all the info. He uses the original kerosene type burners and they're damn good and the price is good also.
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Chuck, they told me there is no Santa Claus, but I'm starting to wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by nautiguy View Post
    Like Bob Cleek, I have a cast aluminum Shipmate. It is a four burner, double oven stove fueled by propane.
    My wife tells me that if we ever sell Sans Souci we have to take the stove with us.
    Cast aluminium ? Interesting ,I've never heard of such ....a very well insulated firebox I assume?
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    The last gimballed stove that I purchased, and subsequently passed to Aulikki (Spindrift) was purchased from Atom stoves.....google atom stoves or yachtatom@hotmail.com <yachtatom@hotmail.com> and you'll get all the info. He uses the original kerosene type burners and they're damn good and the price is good also.
    Well done Chuck .
    Grateful Dead

Peter,
    Since our stove is propane fueled, there is no fire box. The stove walls are very well insulated, as are the oven doors. The stove gets slightly warm to the touch, but certainly not dangerous.

Here is a picture (excuse the towel):
    http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...g?t=1262536359

This is a FREE offer, so doesn't pass as advertising. I have a Shipmate 3-burner kerosene stove, salvaged from the guys who took it out of their boat and were on the way to the dump with it. I needed one burner -- the Portugese ones. It needs some work, but could be resurrected. New owner comes and gets it, or pays freight . . . I can check if the kero pressure tank is still available. My experience with a similar Force 10 is that it has been safe, reliable, and totally satisfactory. Unfortunately Force 10 has dropped the liquid fuel line.

Quote Originally Posted by nautiguy View Post
    Peter,
    Since our stove is propane fueled, there is no fire box. The stove walls are very well insulated, as are the oven doors. The stove gets slightly warm to the touch, but certainly not dangerous.

Here is a picture (excuse the towel):
    http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...g?t=1262536359
    My misunderstanding ! For some reason I had thought it to be one of the wood fired type .A very good looking device !

Here's a photo of mine ...for no good reason .

A two burner Maxi kerosene with an oven .

Grateful Dead