Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nigel Irens' Western Skiff, need drawings,plans, anything!

Default Re: Nigel Irens' Western Skiff, need drawings,plans, anything!

Well, when you get around to building another, post some pix! She looks like one lovely little boat!

Scott and Ed, could I ask about this sail and oar thing.

She looks lovely and has to be great to row.

I keep finding "sail and oar" boats somehow too tender to enjoy sailing, especially with a fair amount of sail as shown in the pics and similarly on Iain Oughtred's designs.

As a sailor I find them better upwind with the dagger loaded and my weight balancing the load.

Off the wind, not enough load to lean against, I do find them a bit frisky and difficult to get comfortable and feel secure, especially in gusty conditions.

How do others find sailing a hull designed mainly for rowing?

Brian

Brian,

I think your assessment is about right.

What you highlight is the compromise that must be found in any design of this type. The power of the human rower is limited, so if the boat is to move easily under oar the hull design and weight of the boat must reflect that. When it comes to sailing, this leaves you with limited power to carry sail and a form that is not optimised for being driven hard.

Where you put yourself (in design terms) along the line between either extreme depends entirely on your own priorities. With the Western Skiff, we really didn't want the boat to be hard to row, so we accepted the fact that she might get a little frisky off the wind in a breeze.

With that said however, it all depends on how much sail you hang up. Tucking a reef in calms the boat down when it gets breezy and a hull that moves easily under oar doesn't need that much sail to move along nicely either. The weight you carry also makes a difference - a surprisingly small amount of ballast in the form of a few well chosen stones from the beach settles the boat quite a lot.

It's horses for courses at the end of the day.

Some further history from memory may be useful. I seem to remember the design being commissioned or promoted by Classic Boat (UK magazine still published), and an example was shown at that time at the Wooden Boat Show and Greenwich, Greater London, UK.

Watercraft, a current UK publication did an article on a youth group building one of thess boats in their July/August 2008 (# 70) issue.
    They give Nigel Irens website address as:

www.nigelirens.demon.co.uk

Unfortunately Bateaux Bois appeared to fade away and die about 2002. I last saw them at a classic boat show in Dinard which has also since died.

Hope some of this helps

Found these on this page on the InTheBoatShedwhile site while searching for more info on the Western Skiff. She was for sale a little while ago:

Is that a wooden spar or carbon. Looks kinda high. Also was there anything unusual about the build method, it looks pretty straight forward glued lap. On plans etc... The design appears to be after the assertion of copyright for hulls, not sure how many countries support that, but it changed the landscape somewhat.

It has a very high sail center for such a narrow and tender hull. Rowing hulls work the best with low sail centers IMHO

Anything happen with this? Note posts are four years ago now.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Dave, in post 26 mr. Burnett says anyone wanting more info can contact him off the forum but in all of my attempts to do so I was unable to get a response. Maybe you can try and let me know of any success. I too am smittin by this little skiff and would love to own one.
    I was born at a very young age. As I grew up, I got older.

Update...

In return for the goodwill of Nigel Irens NA, the Burnett family, Jack Gifford NA, boatbuilders looking for an attractive, pedigree, light, sail and oar boat for poking about in the worlds creeks can now digitally download plans for the Western Skiff from Practical Boat Owner magazine in return for a donation to the Ed Burnett memorial fund The Island Trust who help take people sailing with disability, special needs or from areas of deprivation onboard a boat of Ed Burnet's design.

justgiving.com/fundraising/bill-burnett1

The skiff plans produced by Jack Gifford are full size paper templates for all major components including the jig. Once printed out are laid over sheets of plywood and simply cut out. Alternatively a kit is available from Jordan boats for about 1000.

The published article is in this months April 2019 Practical Boat Owner and a new boat is being built to be detailed in the coming months.

https://www.pbo.co.uk/boats/free-boa...ng-skiff-60770

Nigel Irens thinks the original sail plan 5.7 sqm was overly generous, perhaps fine in lighter wind regions, he is looking forward to seeing alternatives! Nic Compton who had an original Western Skiff has also fitted a small outboard inboard to this easily driven hull and thinks a 2.5hp motor is ideal for pottering about.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 03-08-2019 at 11:50 AM.

In the first Raid Fluvial do Douro was a Western Skiff. I was impressed and thought, still think, she was the most elegant boat in the fleet. Fast under sail and oar, very light and with a functional clean construction. I think the underwater strakes were stitch and glue and the rest clinker to show of the lines. The two guys who sailed and rowed her did so effortless. She is in my eyes the ideal raidboat, and she was one of the examples when I drew up my own raidboat 'Lucia'. She did not seem overcanvassed, but there were two adults sailing her. I think removable ballast would be good.

After making a donation to The Island Trust, I uploaded the pdf file to NetPrinter.co.uk (keeping it in the SW) easily enough at the weekend. Clicked on 'size to fit'. Cost of 39 pages of A0 size in black and white was 35.10, 3.90 folding (i'm sure I asked for rolled!) 8.50 shipping, 9.50 Vat Total 57.00. Arrived Tuesday. Looks to have come out correct. Even a page for the tiller shape.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 03-12-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Bargin! and very tempting......
    A2