Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78918 ... LastLast

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't know Greg, those wide sections aft makes me wonder if they're tenting out over the hull... but they wouldn't be doing a hull repaint in the water, I think.. shirley?
    Weird, almost looks like they may be making up a movie prop out of it...could make an interesting quiz as a thread on its own...I'll be interested to see what they do.....
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Monday morning is here again....Spectacular weather this weekend. The forecast for sat was dire but the system they had in mind went elsewhere and we just had a totally magnificent 2 days and quite a busy time for us . Sat morn was an early start to turn the boat around and polish the starboard side, my arms want to drop off now despite the machine I bought to help.

On saturday afternoon we shot off 12 miles or so for the night but caught our boy out for a sail on one of the old AC charter boats at SailNZ. What a great experience. One of the classic boat guys had spare tickets and invited him and some CYA glitterati ( like WBF'er Jason) out for a team building experience.
    There was some talk of 8 or 9 knots of breeze but thats on Bean rock , which can over read. We could do about 5 in Riada, but this thing just trucked on through. They're still quick even detuned.

cute cloud shadowing Rangitoto I thought.

Nahlin does now look more like they're going for the full repaint on the water

Last edited by John B; 11-24-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: just speeling , grammar,content , stuff like that.

We came across my fathers old boat while out... She's a wooden ,cold moulded boat design by John Senior. Reacher 36,...They have following here as good coastal cruiser.

and another CYA friend Simon , out in his powerful Townson cruiser/racer Hotspur.

speaking of Des Townson...

a Pied Piper out doing what Piedies do best, get young people on the water..

Last edited by John B; 11-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.

on sunday am we left our bay at 7.30 to zing back to town for another CYA stalwart ,Baden Pascoes' book launch . A history of one of our prominent boatbuilding yards ( Percy Voss)through the 1940's on predominantly. Launching Dreams , I haven't had more than a flick through yet but I'm looking forward to it.
    and then off to the Jag show run the Viaduct. Quite small and more and more new cars represented in there , but interesting none the less.

Noice.

but back to the scale of the thing....

Steinie has just been relaunched after a mega rebuild and she's looking fantastic

Last edited by John B; 11-24-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Looking pretty happy....is that because of the sailing or the number of young lasses on board:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

He was busy shouting stuff like , "you'll have to do better than that".
    Can you see Jase has a smile on his face too. Good thing we have that particularly rare bird captured. winky smiley face added for the sensitive types.

'A' was leaving the Waitemata on Friday afternoon when we were off for the weekend...

and coming back on sunday afternoon , Nahlin was back in her berth after her refit , she's been away somewhere for a cruise I imagine. She looks pretty astonishing,.... thats all gold leaf.

I could just see the wealthy nautical version of Mick Dundee saying, "That's not a super yacht!" about 'A' as it departs and parking Nahlin in it's place... "Now THAT'S a superyacht!"
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

'A' turned up down here Sunday morning. Is parked out in the middle of the inner harbour:

So we thought the only decent thing to do was a circuit in a 119 year old boat, topsail and all, to compare elegance with excess:

We won. Now Nahlin would be a different kettle of fish. I think we'd just genuflect.

Oh , you'd be in my old friend little Thelma ,wouldn't you Patrick?

Interesting how far back the anchor hawse on "A" sits considering that bow and the windage that it must capture. I wonder how much chafe she suffers underneath......but I can't imagine there's much they could do differently to avoid it.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Exactly my thoughts . I ended up deciding they must run a round the clock anchor watch and re anchor from the other side whenever tide or wind conflict might cause the chain to come too close to the hull. I'm sure they have tons out though Ian, just light conditions and the chain is hanging vertically.

and just for nostalgias sake.. one of the first photos I ever posted on the WBF

That is , assuming my calculated guess as to what Patrick is sailing is correct.( Little Thelma in the foreground.)

and the camry as well! well lookit .. (snuffle snort yawn stretch, sorry ... I fell asleep for a moment there), lookit that.
    Those were the days, summertime , when the living was easy , and the cotton was high.
    Also me , being at the top of my mast.
    Last edited by John B; 03-24-2014 at 08:27 PM.

I'd assume that given the wedge spent on gold plated taps and so forth they'd have a pretty sophisticated system set up to anchor with, using GPS, thrusters and all sorts of other high tech gizmos that a guy like Steve Jobs could afford and have the tech know how to integrate into the ship. Still pretty fugly.

You sleep up your mast JB?
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

They'd more than likely have an at-anchor stabilising system Duncan, which is pretty common now, but unless they've come up with some sort of at-anchor bow thruster system I can't see any way of avoiding the bow blowing over the anchor chain in some circumstances. Perhaps they have chafe plate underneath.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Yes, on Thelma (although marginally shorter now than you've captured, due to the removal (but retention) of her counter).

Believe me, you'll know when it's Rogue.

I couldn't figure out the anchoring either. 'A' rotated a lot, to keep bow into the wind (northerly, then southerly, then easterly, then northerly). But the chain stayed vertical off port throughout.

Speaking of being up one's mast, MetService is hosting particularly good quality full screen 24 hour webcams (sorry: can't figure out how to link directly to it - look down the MetService page, under the heading 'Maps, radar and videos'). The Auckland Marina one (open webcam, use right side menu to get to it) is featuring today in the life of Nahlin. Quite fun, scrolling through the day's tides.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickXavier View Post
    Yes, on Thelma (although marginally shorter now than you've captured, due to the removal (but retention) of her counter).

Believe me, you'll know when it's Rogue.

I couldn't figure out the anchoring either. 'A' rotated a lot, to keep bow into the wind (northerly, then southerly, then easterly, then northerly). But the chain stayed vertical off port throughout.

Speaking of being up one's mast, MetService is hosting particularly good quality full screen 24 hour webcams (sorry: can't figure out how to link directly to it - look down the MetService page, under the heading 'Maps, radar and videos'). The Auckland Marina one (open webcam, use right side menu to get to it) is featuring today in the life of Nahlin. Quite fun, scrolling through the day's tides.
    All I can find is a still shot of Wellington in the rain! And various other places which I think are in or near Wellington.

Rick

Exactly my thoughts . I ended up deciding they must run a round the clock anchor watch and re anchor from the other side whenever tide or wind conflict might cause the chain to come too close to the hull. I'm sure they have tons out though Ian, just light conditions and the chain is hanging vertically.

With 32 crew there would be no storage of anchor watchers :-)
    "Old boats are like teenage girlfriends: there is a certain urgency to their needs & one neglects them at one's peril"

Maybe they've got some kind of underwater, fold out dooverlacky that clasps the chain in the vertical. The kind of mechanism that would appear on a boat that was owned by Dr Evil.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Also, I've just realised that that Auckland Marina webcam is presenting front and centre our Classic Yacht Association's Heritage Landing.

I have to say, I have always thought the E Type to be one of the most beautiful things man has ever made...
    Fish and ships or is that chips

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    You sleep up your mast JB?
    No Duncs,I hate heights but you do what you have to do eh.. That photo was in a thread called 'an aerial photo of the harbour' or words to that effect. It was my punny sense of humour at work, as I was doing something to the VHF aerial at the time. maybe just hanging onto it ... I forget.

Quote Originally Posted by shade of knucklehead View Post
    I have to say, I have always thought the E Type to be one of the most beautiful things man has ever made...
    O yes, me too Shady. Mine is a rough old thing though....Still, its road legal and I drive it, and don't worry about it in carparks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Almost....

If only. Of course I've only ever seen replicas of C and Dtypes . I don't think I've ever seen an XKSS real or otherwise.

Yes .. I had the upside down one too for the northern hemishere people.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    ... and I remember you posting it.
    Now this is the first photo I posted I believe. In a thread called " How to manage children on board"

..all grown up, 2 x 17 ( mine and friend)and one 18 now. Ye gods.
    Last edited by John B; 03-25-2014 at 10:53 PM.

O yes, me too Shady. Mine is a rough old thing though....Still, its road legal and I drive it, and don't worry about it in carparks etc.
    Oh, that old thing?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    They'd more than likely have an at-anchor stabilising system Duncan, which is pretty common now, but unless they've come up with some sort of at-anchor bow thruster system I can't see any way of avoiding the bow blowing over the anchor chain in some circumstances. Perhaps they have chafe plate underneath.
    Apparently they use the dynamic positioning to keep it in place and the anchor is just a prop. I'm not sure if the weathercocking is computer controlled (probably) or crew controlled.

It also brings up the question of whether she is anchored or underway or even more pedantic underweigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Apparently they use the dynamic positioning to keep it in place and the anchor is just a prop. I'm not sure if the weathercocking is computer controlled (probably) or crew controlled.

It also brings up the question of whether she is anchored or underway or even more pedantic underweigh.
    That's really interesting. I wonder if that's what that periscope fitting that pops up from the foredeck is related to:

here with an "at anchor" ball at the bow, also showing in the at anchor NZ pics above:

and here with the at anchor ball and the periscope up at the bow:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm guessing, that because the anchor is on the ground, they can put their anchor ball up (or they would claim that) it is a way of making sure she does not do a Mirabella and drag. I don't know what the periscope is for. Varadero (Bobby) would know. I think that's Palma in the picture.

For this weeks around the yards, what can I compare , what can I park under or near thread, I can do a couple of interesting boats I looked at on saturday..

My friend Gregs boat Rawhiti getting an antifouling tickle up...

and a boat I haven't seen before.Quite a big boat, looking a bit S and S to me

.edit , a google reveals this...

In April a fleet of up to 14 yachts will be making its way from New Plymouth, NZ, to Mooloolaba, AU, in the 2014 ITL Solo Tasman Yacht Challenge.And what a contrasting fleet it will be: The oldest yacht will be Dabulamanzi, a Nicholson 55 built in 1971.
    Last edited by John B; 03-30-2014 at 07:37 PM.

We actually had a busy weekend for us , leaving sat night for a CYA meet up at Drunks bay and then returning first thing on sunday to pick up kids for a day sail.

While back at the marina and waiting I had a look at a famous NZ yacht , now owned by Australians and normally living over thar.

Fidelis , like Ranger is based or influenced by the Sq M boats , particularly Bacchante.

She became particularly famous as an ocean racer and has just had or is about to have a book launched about her written by my friend Sandra Gorter.
    Last edited by John B; 03-30-2014 at 08:45 PM.

and just before leaving and with some extra hands to do some cough .. heavy lifting, I scooted up to the mizzen masthead to grab the mizzen staysail halyard. last time we set that sail there was a funny little clink noise as it went up . The snap shackle to the head had clicked past the deck light at the spreaders. I paused and looked and then thought Oh well it looks OK. Two pulls later the halyard pinged and the sail dropped on our heads.
    "aerial photos" are compulsory and what better than to catch two near relations
    Riada and Riada II

Oh and one last new thing . Greg spotted it moored up earlier in the thread.

Nice Beaver.

Its the first time a seaplane has returned to the Waitemata since I would guess, the early 1980's when the widgeons were running.

Any more boats?

Rick

I don't know if you can see them.. go to our club site Rick, and let me know will you.

Tony Stevenson has some really cool shots of the fleet we went out to meet after Kirsty's school commitments on sat .

http://classicyacht.org.nz/forum/vie...hp?f=10&t=2394

here's one of his of the boys on Tucana...