Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

Haven't done one of these for a while...
    20190508_142616.jpg
    After laughing myself silly at that alligator pants thread in the bilge I went off to do the oil and filter change on the boat. I achieved the oil ch.. part.
    Ie: ran the motor to heat it up, scraped some cetol while waiting, pumped out the oil after warmup and left the sump plugole dripping into something precious no doubt. Oil can go back in manana .
    Annnnyway, what should I come across at the marina but but this little minter. I want it.
    Scale reference, the quadbike is small, the mini is very very small. Just so yall know.
    Last edited by John B; 05-08-2019 at 03:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Road trip ! Not far but on the nurburgring with opposing traffic which is a Northland drive.

Ngatira ..

lucky Ngatira....
    Well looky there...the boat beside the Ngatira is Waimanu ,a Townson 32.
    https://boatingnz.co.nz/abandoning-waimanu/
    She was subsequently lost after a dismasting coming back from Vanuatu. I've met Phil and recently attended an evening where he spoke. Very good talk it was too. While the loss of the boat was sad , he followed almost text book rules for the abandonment, stepping up into the raft as they say, and was rescued very promptly.

Your footy link still shows Riada in Auckland. You've been in the same place for a while, and yet doing a steady 5.2 knots. Some kind of witchcraft?

Ahh...Keep meaning to delete that, but every now and again I go back to look where we went, makes me want to do it again. I have a hankering to sail my boat through a reef pass, white water either side ,and the feeling of busting through into the calm of the atoll.
    Minerva reef reprise would do.
    Did I mention I looked at Wonderland a couple of months ago. Quite surprised she was still here.

Ahh...Keep meaning to delete that, but every now and again I go back to look where we went, makes me want to do it again. I have a hankering to sail my boat through a reef pass, white water either side ,and the feeling of busting through into the calm of the atoll.
    Minerva reef reprise would do.
    Did I mention I looked at Wonderland a couple of months ago. Quite surprised she was still here.
    Have you ever looked at Elizabeth and Middleton reef around 100 nm from Lord Howe Is?
    Mind you since your dreaming of atoll passes you might just be tempted to drop down to the fourties and head East until you have enough to lay Tahiti.
    I have just put that on my hopefull bucket list after our recent visit to those beautiful Islands with its wonderfull people.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Have you ever looked at Elizabeth and Middleton reef around 100 nm from Lord Howe Is?
    Mind you since your dreaming of atoll passes you might just be tempted to drop down to the fourties and head East until you have enough to lay Tahiti.
    I have just put that on my hopefull bucket list after our recent visit to those beautiful Islands with its wonderfull people.
    No I haven't, Tom. I've only done that one passage from new Caledonia to Brisbane and that was delivery , so no stooging around.

The most exciting passes I've done were into the two minerva reefs three times now. The first one was epic with 20 to 25 behind us and an outgoing tide , it was dramatic. Going through the pass into Fulaga in the Southern Lau group was just plain fun and a buzz because it's 50 metres wide and about a kilometre long , dead straight. And the little winding pass into Yadua island was cool. Nomuka I Lau! Line painted rock up with painted coconut tree, don't get it wrong.
    Awesome. Need to do it again.

Well looky there...the boat beside the Ngatira is Waimanu ,a Townson 32.
    https://boatingnz.co.nz/abandoning-waimanu/
    She was subsequently lost after a dismasting coming back from Vanuatu. I've met Phil and recently attended an evening where he spoke. Very good talk it was too. While the loss of the boat was sad , he followed almost text book rules for the abandonment, stepping up into the raft as they say, and was rescued very promptly.
    Wow! Full on story.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Wow! Full on story.
    It is. I knew Des Townson and I'm pretty sure he would have been very surprised one of those particular boats was sailed offshore. Having said that , they're probably stronger than many of the production boats out there. Anyway, it did fail ,after falling off a couple of waves and pulling the whole shroud hanging knee/frame up through the deck leaving it dismasted and holed.

I'm thinking I would have hove too after the first drop and wait for daylight. I have never been in anything that rough so don't really know. What are your thoughts John? Being a lighter boat.

I think you're right!
    A few years ago a friend of mine got off his boat after it fell off a few waves and cracked the hull longitudinally and then popped the main bulkhead on the way back from Tonga . The boat breathed in, the rigging went slack and the rig went over. He's a lovely guy but with a high powered job and I believe he drove hard to meet the dreaded "schedule". That was a truly epic story too.
    Anyway , my point is that both boats were being driven hard in high waves with the wind and waves well forward of the beam. It seems to me that is when you hurdle across waves without backs, whereas hove to its all slower and the same waves actually do have backs.
    Phil did everything right after it hit the fan..textbook.. very valuable talk and it makes you think.

He Handled the situation amazingly! It becomes a very big ocean when your boat is sinking!!!

Yes you did.I'm surprised too.

I think you're right!

Anyway , my point is that both boats were being driven hard in high waves with the wind and waves well forward of the beam. It seems to me that is when you hurdle across waves without backs, whereas hove to its all slower and the same waves actually do have backs.
    Phil did everything right after it hit the fan..textbook.. very valuable talk and it makes you think.
    Quite right Below is a picture of Rain Eagle a Westsail 43 in heavy trades 2 days out of Hawaii we managed to keep up with her averaging 133 nm over 10 days from Christmas Island. The last two days we where under storm sails and undoubtedly pushed our Contessa 32 just a little too hard.
    I then had the unenviable task of having to Fiberglass the forward bulkheads while living aboard at Ali Wei marina.

[IMG][/IMG]

Great pic. We don't slam much but we would slam doing that, which would bring on a change of tactics.
    Last edited by John B; 05-12-2019 at 04:56 PM.

That doesn't look comfortable.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    That doesn't look comfortable.

You got that right. Conditions on our 32 footer where atrocious slamming into those square waves. We where two days out close reaching while attempting to lay Hilo, fortunatley those irregularly jagged waves only lasted around 10 hours,they where also the start of increasing trade wind strength.
    Unable to lay Hilo we used Cooks bay as a port of refuge drying out the boat and then foolishly proceeded crossing the Alenuihaha channel later that evening where we encountered winds gusting in the 35kn + range and several waves that completely filled our cockpit whith the following wave emptying most of the water, needles to say we might have been just a little overcanvassed.
    Rain Eagle soon left us in her wake and we then found ourselves entering Ali Wei marina well after dark which to date still remains one of my most difficult night harbour approaches .
    I found the entrance by relying solely on a fix taken at twilight and guts due to being unable to make out a single channel marker light with the bright lights of Wai Kiki blazing ,all around. Once we where within the range of the reef break I started turning the boat around only to find we where dead on in the channel and had missed everyone of those channel markers on our way in.

I had a phone call suggesting I drop in and look at the Ida restoration as they're at rig design and placement stage. Nice job they've done and it's a little bit of a family affair. My son is in his NA internship and worked sail areas , ce and clr on supplied plan. I think they have hit the nail on the head and I had some constructive additional comments to make, which they tell me was helpful.
    Ida is 1894, very transitional from the old clipper bow style but still with very deep bow sections despite some cutback. Looks slippery to me.
    20190516_134544.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019 at 12:21 AM.

Very nice!!

Rick

WOW!

Fast progress too. Ida is an interesting boat and story. She's one of NZ's classics which escaped to Australia in the 80's or so, before the antiquities act stopped that. Charles Bailey boat, she's had a life over there, Sydney.
    Anyway , now owned by the NZ classic yacht charitible trust, there's a website with all the data.
    http://www.classicyachtcharitabletru...htm?boat_id=16
    When looking at the hull yesterday you could see the original chainplate positions, some mysterious anomaly of history by the rudder post and observe that the outer skin of three had been splined at some stage. Looked like cedar to me, a good option as its softer than the kauri planking. Inner skin was 98 -99% original, with a few hood ends replaced by the rudder post. The usual end grain damage around the sheer clamp area. In other words that 1894 3 skin kauri hull was well into the high 90s percentile of original timber and will stay that way. A bit like Rainbow, Rawhiti and Ngatira, all boats I ran restoration progress threads on back a few years. Ida is possibly the best of all of them for original timber content, but perhaps it'd be nit picking over a percent or two to say that.
    Some frames and floors were being added or replaced and a new deck of course.

Untold in there and perhaps tenuously related is a sequence of events that lead to a modern yachting tragedy. Still it's part of the fabric.
    Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Another scale of the thing.....
    The Daring spent a century under the sand.
    20190519_101252.jpg

Now in a shrink wrapped shed and being stabilised

20190519_100032.jpg

Lots of cool stuff..
    20190519_100148.jpg

Save a classic. Matia, the 1939 50 ft Lidgard changes hands from her old custodian to a man with the skills to make her shine
    20190523_151028.jpg

OK, forget about that then. Waste of time. Someone must know why some images take and some don't.
    Last edited by John B; 05-24-2019 at 01:01 AM.

All but one pic is visible on my phone

Same here.
    Only #615 is NFG.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Interesting pluck. I usually attach the hook just above the centre of gravity.

It is pretty much, Gareth, there's just an extra crane strop to get the hook away from the timber.

Is this a scoop?
    20191031_104427.jpg
    I know what I think this is sitting right there in front of Len's Joann

What does the panel think...
    Last edited by John B; 10-31-2019 at 12:37 AM.

Did you mean `sloop'? Yes, I think so. Or did you mean - `I think another fancy boat, known to all, except Rick, has just arrived in Whangarei or Waikikamukau, and here's my photo of it'?

Looks nice!

Rick