Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

I do that too come to think of it ,Seedy. usually with Gorilla glue or sikaflex.

Mind you the sika flex tubes do that by themselves usually, just hold that sardine key thing so the tube can see it and off it goes, spewing black gunk out the corners.

Here's a scale of the thing with a difference.. My eldest kid is suddenly 24

Here she's about 8 or 9 ?..9?

"we never meant to go to sea!"
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Hahahaha. Orange and Abba, best left in the '70's, but it is cheery I suppose.

here's something for the amusement of the panel.

Friday and saturdays job was scaling this extension ladder numerous times to fit the new old radar.

did y'all know that
    1.it is possible to dent 3 mm ali mast walls with knees? ( Not really , but I'm not looking too close.)
    2. a lopper style pop riveter is the wrong tool because it needs two of something to make it pop. Two hands, a hand and a head , a hand and a neck, a hand and some other painful lever point. I know this now. When you have it braced against yer head and it pops , so does your head. Rings like a bell anyways.
    3 . there will be other things.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ...2. a lopper style pop riveter is the wrong tool because it needs two of something to make it pop. Two hands, a hand and a head , a hand and a neck, a hand and some other painful lever point. I know this now. When you have it braced against yer head and it pops , so does your head. Rings like a bell anyways.
    At least you didn't hurt anything important! Been there. Had a dent in a knee for a week from a pop riveting tool.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Why are you installing radar, JB? Tasmanians seem to like it but it's starting to disappear up here, now.

Rick

Handy in Tassie due to fog. I've been in the Dentrecastaux channel a couple of times blanketed in thick fog. No radar. Really strange experience that.

Fog - that's a good reason!

Rick

Proximity alarm might be another - so you can have a snooze every now and then.......
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

squalls and chart overlay Rick. If the radar matches the chart, then your relative position to the hard things is correct. Its an older generation unit,second hand but still in the box, but it fits with my plotter.

But the real reason is that when I saw it was made by radar manufacture who couldn't spell and who wrote my boat's name instead, I just had to have it.

Meant to be.

You can save the spare letters for your second honeymoon! Rick

Thanks. I think if I had it, I'd certainly keep it but I don't think I'll save up for one.

Rick

Be handy if my wife was called maRee I guess. but she ain't.

I made the chart radar overlay go ! I slaved a second autopilot head to the old one , and it goes! The auto tack function works!

It is a miracle! If I had to choose to cut either the blue wire or the red wire everything would blow up every time.
    I need to celebrate , I think going sailing for 4 days would be good.

OK, doin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    At least you didn't hurt anything important! Been there. Had a dent in a knee for a week from a pop riveting tool.
    I think there is a market for using a pop riveter between ones head and ones free hand, I'm pretty sure if you were to take a photo at the same time you'd get a nice MRI type image of yer brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Proximity alarm might be another - so you can have a snooze every now and then.......
    next .. AIS with all that stuff as well. I did actually target a vessel and it did everything right ( you can tell I've never used one before eh) tracked the thing going across and around behind me.

Hey , remember the superyacht A that we were discussing back a few pages back in this thread?
    a couple or 3 weekends ago when we were on a beach having foursies

we were remarking how the islet just off looked like 'A'

And then this cloud went past....

check out the spectral U boat cruising on by out behind..............

Good looking rock and cloud. Ugly boats.

Remarryin'

Have a great trip!

Rick

Be handy if my wife was called maRee I guess. but she ain't.

I made the chart radar overlay go ! I slaved a second autopilot head to the old one , and it goes! The auto tack function works!

It is a miracle! If I had to choose to cut either the blue wire or the red wire everything would blow up every time.
    I need to celebrate , I think going sailing for 4 days would be good.

OK, doin' it.
    My autopilot has a funny thing going on lately where it does an auto tack every 30 seconds or so. Might have to fix that before we sail her home to Adelaide.

I've never had radar before so even if this machine is old technology by comparison to whats out there now, I'm pleased at how it works. Its doing what I wanted with the overlay confirmation of the chart.

Hooks bay for the night on friday..

and some beach cleanup, Mussel farm buoys to be re purposed for something

You can make a good drum thing with those. Sort of a large single tone xylophone. Cut the top off, make a big aluminium tone board which you hit with a hitting thing. The buoy acts like a big resonator if you get it all just right.

Post them to Phil - you'll be glad you did!

I see you direct your anchor chain down the port side, JB. Do you then have a slide inside to redirect it to centre? I like the idea of keeping the windlass away from that tight, forward area!

Rick

Kirsty wanted a smaller one for the school kapa haka group, we'll pick one up next time.We should have got it but had those already( too much). One of those is for a motor mower hutch because I am just sick to living death of tripping over the thing in my garage, another ... not sure, a lot of people just chop em in half length ways and make vegetable gardens in them. Or chairs .

Rick , a Lot of Laurie Davidson designs have the anchor locker back at the mast. The foredeck is all closed in apart from the hatch obviously.
    That chain just leads straight back to the windlass and a vertical chain locker.It lives there on that sacrificial pine packing board. Anchor stays out apart from racing or perhaps a sea voyage. If you look or can see the fairlead , I put a bit half enclosed hook at one end to direct the chain. Works like a charm.

Check out this ply on Riada's aft bulkhead. I often sit there at night and glance over and depending how the light is it gets this whole defraction thing going on in the peel. The varnish is bled out too, it needs to be redone.

That boatbuilder chose that sheet and placed the veneer to suit the way through. There's a lot of stuff like that, a blend of skill and thought.

Yotties tea? you just buy in the booze shop.

Lookit what I found out shootin for some food, up from the ground came this bubblin crude!

Is parking included in the driving test in TLOTLWC?

Rick

When you get to the stage you don't care what people think, you just start doing what you like. Its a totally empty carpark at this time of the year ,though as it happens, council has leapt on that anomaly and is busy mating with it so as to take it and turn it into shops and apartments.

Don't tell anyone Rick , but I actually even drove down the empty carpark the wrong way!

Look inside !... A rotary speedo! and... and wait , is that truly ? could it be the gear shifts on the steering wheel boss? Push buttons!!

Last edited by John B; 11-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.

Ashamed, I am, to even hear it! Of course I would never stoop to such disgraceful behaviour!

I think the early automatic Valiants had push buttons on the steering column. I learnt to drive in a Hydramatic EH that had the gear change on the column.

Rick

I parked my Morris next to this Austin last friday.

It is very wide I noticed. Not as wide as some though, like an F type or even one of the pumped wheel arch porsches, c4 or turbo.
    I suppose it'd be interesting to actually see what the statistic is some time.

Sumpin like that anyways.

But here... here we have some sleuthing required, because maybe , just maybe this is the Malabar VII schooner Fearless. (currently a ketch obviously)I expected to just google her and get confirmation but no. We did have someone here with a Malabar VII didn't we.

One very nice spruce mizzen currently out for work...

I thought " ALDEN" the second I saw her in the distance and when I saw the name I really began to believe it. She looks about the right size but I haven't dragged my Carrick and Johnston out for a comparison of profile yet.
    Anyone know anything about her?
    A bit of stuff I discovered on our christmas cruise,right in front of my eyes so to speak.

Fearless, The Malabar VII that has always interested me , is featured on the wall of the Russell boat club. I came across her in Noumea in 2013.

The text does mention her as being built as a schooner and converted to ketch.

that is a very sexy beast!
    whatever rocks your boat

Seems appropriate for this thread.

This thing has appeared at our marina. Not my photo, its my mate Andrew's.

The context being that apart from dogs, stuff in the water like sharks,and the very occasional spider we have nothing here that is likely to bite or attack us here. No crocs , no bears, no lions. Maybe the odd boar or Stag upset at being stabbed or shot.

So when we get a bona fide carnivore muncher like this thing turn up we go a bit leery.

me ? , I distinctly remember reading one of those Shackelton books when a sea leopard stalked one of his men on the ice. Book book, call me chicken.

Dinghy thieves with conscience. They tried to steal Jase's magnificent little ply clinker tender and failed( swamped it) and took our old family glass dinghy instead. My son Tom has it. The Black Pig.

They had to jump a gate in the Viaduct, steal the boat and row it about a mile or two to dump it where they left it. Busted and lost a bronze rowlock off it.

John B- I am looking for the ketch FEARLESS. I understand Al Chipman passed away. Where is Asa? The boat?