Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

Brilliant little spray hood and hand hold for the companionway . Is that the top rolled up forward, and how is it fastened when deployed.?

Needless to say a few of us are envious of your 36 month duration between haul outs. I assure you if I tried that on the Tweed there would be appendages both inside and outside the labyrinths of tunnels.

Cheers Tom

What brand, spec of anti foul is that? I'm thinking of bringing Balia to Adelaide, but one thing that really puts me off is the growth we get here. Lucky if you don't have a reef after about 6 months. Kind of depressing that. In the Huon river down in Tassie, it's just gone 2 years since we slipped her. With not much sailing at all she has a layer of slime, but nothing too bad. Not clean though.

Slightly infra dig but a long time mate with a history of timber sailcraft bought a new Dehler 38 mit all der bells und whistles. I remain unimpressed.

The plastic is a windscreen experiment , Rick. it does nothing to speak of. The dodger is just that Tom, it has a zip top head. I'll keep the frame but we have a whole proper dodger project to do next.
    Micron 66 , Phil. expensive .. amortized , not so much.
    The dehlers are here now too Rick 2, I don't know anything about them.I had the impression that of the moderns they were of a better quality than some.?

the appendage is an end plate on the rudder. Its always had a light shake to it and I'm looking for a way to break the harmonic. I've tried various other things with some success, i'll let you guys know if it works.

Micron 66, will give it a go. So you know if your 3 years is because of the paint, or do you do better than other boats in the same area, or than you have done with other paints?

On some other thread I waxed lyrical about what a success 66 had been for me, Phil. Yes its in a marina but I don't know of anyone who has had the run I have out of it.
    2007"proper job"( 3 or 4 tins of it)
    2010, leading edges, rudder and some of the keel recoated and back in.
    2012 same but just before relaunch I thought another coat would be worth doing.So I put a one tin thin coat on.
    2015 haul and a 'proper job ' again.

In between she get a dive clean or a floating dock water blast. In fact this year we did a floating dock and a hard sand back to make this haul a little bit easier.

Thats a remarkable history. International should be giving me the stuff, I've sold so much for them.

Tomorrow!

, bout time.

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Hope I'm not perverting your thread, John, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post these pics..............

It ain't wood, and it ain't pretty, but the scale of this new Sea Legs is something else again.
    Apparently it was built for the US military; not sure which service. Only the military would paint a boat(?) that colour !!

The name embedded into the stern is "RECON(something)". It's (deliberately?) hard to read and by the time I got back on board I'd forgotten the last 3 or so letters.

The "small" Sea Legs on the left is around 6m

One of the two jet units is just visible on the right of this one

Last edited by CapnJ2ds; 09-23-2015 at 08:30 AM.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

"Reconcraft" Capn' - I've been having a look at these and I'm pretty sure that's the RC34
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    "Reconcraft" Capn' - I've been having a look at these and I'm pretty sure that's the RC34
    Think you're right. Here's one more, showing the retracted bow (drive) wheel. Just beyond is the other "small" Sea Legs, which was towing the big one at that point. The big one got under way under its own power as it left the marina.

Real monster, ain't it?!
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

'Course I don't mind.
    I bet it's at the boat show ,cap. Monster is right!
    Last edited by John B; 09-23-2015 at 10:22 PM.

A few of yesterdays little expedition . half moon bay is about ..oo 8 or 10 from Westhaven I'd imagine.

love these days... If I hadn't found out a supplier has been screwing me just now, I'd be happy today too. In fact I was until about an hour ago.

anyyyway, yesterday was blustery, I set a full main and jib and exited the river doing 8.3 knots pushing tide, after some really cool gusts smacked me around a bit.... hardened up the sheets and plowed on up the lower harbour to anchor for a bite. She's going well, probably not as fast with the new antifoul but still getting along nicely.

note the brand new dyneema halyard, might need some time to settle in I suspect, or its the mainsail luff that's in shock after resting for so long. I ended up luffing and putting a couple of rolls in the jib.
    Time for summer.
    Last edited by John B; 09-23-2015 at 10:59 PM.

JB, why does your jib have a hole in it?

Rick

and, for those who are interested in some of the practical aspects of boat maintenance..
    This is a 3 year old shaft anode put on as I was taught, epoxy bog in the cap nut holes. It was eroded right down ( more on the other side) but still difficult to get off. The reason you bog the recesses around the bolts is to prevent water and therefore electrolytic action to erode the bearing surfaces between the bolt head and nut, therefore loosening the anode and allowing it to rattle off.

and this is 3 year old propspeed, the only successful prop anti fouling method I've come across.

cheap at twice the price.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    JB, why does your jib have a hole in it?

Rick
    Screen saver,I had a picture of my wife in there but we lost it in a gale last year. Note to self.. replace picture!!

Heh, heh, the end plate eh Neil.
    I was hoping she'd plane too.....

I reckon you live in radioactive water or something. She looks fast though, lovely bottom.

Nope, the water looks good, it is good, I'm definitely getting a better run than most people I know, perhaps I'm beginning to learn something about this boating lark after 25 or 30 odd years doing it.

I finished installing my electric freezer kitset thing on saturday , it went so well and easily that I chucked the lines and had a nice slow sail out to drunks bay by me lonesome.
    get this. 2 electric fridges running and full batteries, the solars are working so well. The first one I've had running for three or four weeks and haven't turned it off so I've left the new one on as well.

Anyway, after coming back super slowly today I drove out to see Johnny G at half moon bay. he'd just left but had painted the topsides and cetoled all his ex varnished stuff.
    I sent him off to the big box where he paid his 50 dollar for the can instead of the 130 at the chandlery.

something else that has been working for me and might save someone some frustration.
    2 pot paint lasts forever in the can it seems, not so the hardener, if you ring a paint rep every one will tell you that once the hardener can is open, it'll be gone pretty shortly. I've experienced that.Somewhere here I even wrote a rant about the can scantlings , modern paint cans have to be sung to by virgins and have their lids massaged off in order to be able to be refitted.
    I thought that a bit frustrating so about 3 or 4 years ago after an anchor mishap I tried something else.

So, I thought, why not not open the can!.
    With my trusty pair of compass( or nice rounded spike) , I make a hole in the hardener can lid which I can force a syringe end into. I get super accurate paint mix ( considering its a touch up and is a small quantity) and after plugging the hole with tape or some such, the hardener lasts. Probably some loss but , You get to use most of the paint instead of starting all over. I've tried plastic tape, duct tape, masking tape with plastic tape over, a gluggy latex roofing paint and today , some hot melt glue. The roofing paint or the good quality plastic tape is best I think.

The photo above is today. Some of those hardener cans are quite ancient and I used the oldest one today.

The blue is tint testing, straight out of the can its too dark and of course the paint dries to a different colour than when it is freshly mixed so you can't assess it or compare it by eye when its wet.

so I just mix a small volume of white in. I'll get it eventually.
    Last edited by John B; 10-01-2015 at 10:12 PM.

In other Riada news, I finally made a start on a hard top dodger. We are not going to go to sea without some shelter.

lovely, i'nt it. At the boat with it,The Neil yelled out across the fairway that he thought I should round the corners off a bit

getting a bit better

and off to my tube bending maestro it has gone..

That little Fein battery powered multi master is the ducks nuts.
    Last edited by John B; 10-01-2015 at 10:24 PM.

and to fill in a bit of time and because my son is dragging his heels on the ' restoration' of the lime green 1970's fibreglass dinghy we inherited with Waione in 1983 and subsequently used , abused , cleaned up once or twice , painted black and called it the Black Pig( look away Thad if you're watching)

as punishment for not doing enough repair work on it , and as a tribute to Bigfella and his KTM's, and the 1970's

I have put orange tie dye fabric on the transom.

By golly , I'm a good father. He is just going to love that when he sees it. He will be so proud to tow that around behind Tucana.

Hahahahahahah

and finally owning a multimaster means one can attack those jobs that have been left undone

like cutting up the furniture. Deconstruction takes so much more time than demolition, but you get to use all the original material in the reconstruction. This is the full chart nav station, but a waste of space for most of the time and an almost impossible storage area to get to.

Just one too many hits on the head trying to get the spare sails and filters etc. and the table is being modified for modern charts. They are electronic.

and removing some other furniture for .....'improvement'

until one changes ones mind and does it a different way after all...
    However its done , the sole mounted companion way steps are changed to a cantilevered , bulkhead suspended set. More foot room.

Last edited by John B; 10-05-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

So, I thought, why not not open the can!.
    With my trusty pair of compass( or nice rounded spike) , I make a hole in the hardener can lid which I can force a syringe end into. I get super accurate paint mix ( considering its a touch up and is a small quantity) and after plugging the hole with tape or some such, the hardener lasts. Probably some loss but , You get to use most of the paint instead of starting all over. I've tried plastic tape, duct tape, masking tape with plastic tape over, a gluggy latex roofing paint and today , some hot melt glue. The roofing paint or the good quality plastic tape is best I think.

The photo above is today. Some of those hardener cans are quite ancient and I used the oldest one today.
    I use a product for hiking shoe repair that has the half-life issue. i do a similar thing with that stuff, poke a pinhole in the tube instead of using the cap because it will self-seal. Another thing that helps with longevity of that product is to wrap the tube in plastic and put it in the freezer.

I do that too come to think of it ,Seedy. usually with Gorilla glue or sikaflex.

Mind you the sika flex tubes do that by themselves usually, just hold that sardine key thing so the tube can see it and off it goes, spewing black gunk out the corners.

Here's a scale of the thing with a difference.. My eldest kid is suddenly 24

Here she's about 8 or 9 ?..9?

"we never meant to go to sea!"
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Sorry about the crappy phone pic, but I'm sure you'll appreciate the scale of the different bikes and the "scale" of the colours. Three quarters of my "fleet" up in the Golden Triangle. The other one is off-site at present.... and it's (ugh) blue and yellow, but that can be fixed

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Hahahaha. Orange and Abba, best left in the '70's, but it is cheery I suppose.

here's something for the amusement of the panel.

Friday and saturdays job was scaling this extension ladder numerous times to fit the new old radar.

did y'all know that
    1.it is possible to dent 3 mm ali mast walls with knees? ( Not really , but I'm not looking too close.)
    2. a lopper style pop riveter is the wrong tool because it needs two of something to make it pop. Two hands, a hand and a head , a hand and a neck, a hand and some other painful lever point. I know this now. When you have it braced against yer head and it pops , so does your head. Rings like a bell anyways.
    3 . there will be other things.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ...2. a lopper style pop riveter is the wrong tool because it needs two of something to make it pop. Two hands, a hand and a head , a hand and a neck, a hand and some other painful lever point. I know this now. When you have it braced against yer head and it pops , so does your head. Rings like a bell anyways.
    At least you didn't hurt anything important! Been there. Had a dent in a knee for a week from a pop riveting tool.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Why are you installing radar, JB? Tasmanians seem to like it but it's starting to disappear up here, now.

Rick

Handy in Tassie due to fog. I've been in the Dentrecastaux channel a couple of times blanketed in thick fog. No radar. Really strange experience that.

Fog - that's a good reason!

Rick

Proximity alarm might be another - so you can have a snooze every now and then.......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

squalls and chart overlay Rick. If the radar matches the chart, then your relative position to the hard things is correct. Its an older generation unit,second hand but still in the box, but it fits with my plotter.

But the real reason is that when I saw it was made by radar manufacture who couldn't spell and who wrote my boat's name instead, I just had to have it.

Meant to be.

You can save the spare letters for your second honeymoon! Rick

Thanks. I think if I had it, I'd certainly keep it but I don't think I'll save up for one.

Rick