Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011 ... LastLast

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'm fond of tui too.

Rick, you'll be amazed how much a solar panel adds to your peace of mind when cruising, they silently give you a redundant electricity supply, virtually eliminating the "what do I do if every battery goes flat" scenario; of course the diode could fail.
    Yes, I made up my mind to have a couple of them, some time ago. But I've been looking at places to put them. A targa wouldn't suit Masina and I worry that if I just lay them on the back deck, they'll usually be part shaded. I think the wings will be a really good solution. I'll run two independent systems - separate regulators. I'm thinking two 80 watt panels ought to be plenty for us.

Rick

Haven't done one of these for a while. get ready for an eclectic mix of round the yards and stuff in general .
    I sold the benchmark.. Eau de Briteesh has gone off to another owner who will restore it. Good, but... sniff..

In one city yard the 1892 Logan Bros 2 1/2 rater Gloriana has been getting a seasonal touch up

and just down the road is a storage yard of old warhorses..

and in another yard is the uptotheminute canting race yacht Giacomo. I forget how long she is ...85 ft .. 88 ft? big.

hard to tell in this shot , but the whole canting keel nacelle is in a concave bubble in the bottom.

don't you love these things..

not a lot of rocker there eh.

Back in the first yard , my buddy's boat R2 is out for an antifoul. Topical with Rick fitting one of these himself and the discussion over in his thread , a volvo folding prop.

and a very unusual feature of this boat . As far as I can tell this was original to the boat. She has a bustle and this skeg box fin arrangement to fair that out.

That flat counter behind the bustle gives her a lift on a wave and she picks up a surf quite easily, quicker than Riada. I think I made 14 knots down a wave in her .. lots of 13's and endless 10 and 11's anyway. And that was loaded for a six month cruise on the way to Tonga.

Good boat to be in when it turns bad, like us ,4 skins of cold moulded kauri and built by a very well respected builder. 1980.

and the reason for being in town on sunday. Maori language week here ,and Kirsty's pod of primary school kids were asked to perform their traditional songs and dances for the public , and in amongst quite a few other performers.

good fun.
    Maori language week deliberately coincides with Matariki, and Matariki is a celebration of the rising of , you guessed it.. Matariki.... a star cluster known by various names around the world. Some of you Northern dudes might have heard of it....Pleiades.. Subaru, the 7 sisters , the 6 brothers ( something like that). . Significant ... very significant as it means the worst is behind us winter wise !!!.

and an incidental couple of boats sailing past

Ponsonby scow , a Mummery Schooner from circa 1975, in front of one of the charter converted AC boats .
    PS is about 48 or 50 ft from memory , looks kinda small there though.

Last edited by John B; 07-27-2014 at 05:58 PM.

And in the basin behind is Moana . Moana is actually from circa 1895 but in 1930 had her freeboard raised 8 or 10 inches , keeping her original deck, and had this rig fitted. So that rig is a real 1930 Marconi time capsule with all its jumpers and diamonds calculated to keep a real lightweight noodle of a spruce rig upstanding.Edit , a bit repetitive, page 2 has the same comments...

Good weekend.

Oh , and in amongst that I started on a little job myself, one thats been bugging me...
    Just have to find the new mounts now..

Last edited by John B; 08-11-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Sorry to hear about the Jag, but times change. I don't know how we're ever gonna get the scale right now though.

Thanks for all the great pictures!

Not a great pic, but a 1941 version of keeping 63.5' above the waterline spruce straight:

The upper is a diamond stay - but a 3rd set of shrouds attach at the inner end of them - much like the upper in your shot.

They don't call em macaroni for nothing eh Garrett.

Nossir. Tuning that rig takes as long as a yawl!

This is one for Mr. Pless' signature: complicated does look really cool here....

The last bermudan rig I put in Waione I went for that look, diamonded out upper spreaders and shrouds, jumper strut, cutter head and runners.
    It was short but the best look I could get within the constraints of the existing hoist of sails and the mast length I had, plus a budget of something a bit less than sweet fanny adams.

Sailing quite fast there in not much wind eh. I know she was sailing cos there wasn't a motor in her.

That mast converted well to gaff though. Hollow, but quite a heavy Oregon/ doug Fir spar.
    Last edited by John B; 07-27-2014 at 06:18 PM.

That's pretty whatever rig!

I think Giacomo is a Volvo 70, a Kouyoumdjian design, the old Groupama.....
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

Underpowered Garrett, ( despite that photo) and I had that crazy dream...

Now that pic looks a tad over powered!

Good for checking out the keel though....

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    I think Giacomo is a Volvo 70, a Kouyoumdjian design, the old Groupama.....
    absolutely right as usual Tad., a Volvo 70. I mixed her up with the new Beau Geste, which is 80 ft anyway( not bigger ). BG can't be very old because she replaced the old one that broke on the way to the islands a couple of years ago ? man that was a story.... nearly did a Zana. Big vertical crack up one side .

Right, it was the Farr that broke, the new one is a Botin 80, launched in 2013. I think there was a conclusion to the failure, but I can't recall the details...it's 28 degrees here, I'm fried, been out taking lines off a fishboat all day and my evening swim is coming right up......
    http://www.tadroberts.ca
    http://blog.tadroberts.ca/
    http://www.passagemakerlite.com

I got the very distinct impression that the old boat was just that , an old warrior with thousands of miles of bashing under her and she just gave up. She'd used up her cycles. I did actually see her on the hard with the patches all over her. I can't remember exactly but there were big plates and lines of bolts. They had her at Norfolk island after pulling out of the race, couldn't sail her or take her to sea until they'd reinforced her, and every weather change the crew would have to move her around the island into a lee. can't have been easy because there's big ocean swells there all the time pretty well.

A photo sent to me yesterday of a newspaper clipping featuring our old girl in 1929. We ran up on a sandbank there ourselves in about 1984 or so. It , the sandbank, is gone now.

Last edited by John B; 07-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Something went right. I thought I'd find replacement mounts OK but that was too easy... apart from the washer dimension, these are identical, same part I think. So a straight fit.

Being new and in components ( the stud is seperate) easier to put in place too. I didn't even try to split the old ones , just jacked the motor off them. The fiddly part will be aligning it of course.

Nice to confirm what I was told and thought too, captivated stud through the insert into the base plate so that in case of inversion, the motor is not going to drop or tear free and bang around inside the boat. Its amazing just how many OEM mounts are not made that way. Effectively just reliant on rubber bonded to two faces of the mount, not acceptable.
    Last edited by John B; 07-29-2014 at 12:20 AM.

woot!
    new stripper.

I know I do have a habit of getting of into rant mode when something which is sold as top quality turns out to be under spec rubbish, where pretty obviously the manufacturer decided to cut corners.
    Thats what Simpson lawrence/ lewmar did with their sprint 3000 windlass which comes with a plastic chain stripper/ fleming. Plastic versus steel chain , I ask you( roll eyes).
    So in an effort to eke out another couple of years and having bought the last OEM stripper in the country ,and after being told they just are not available any more world wide , we now have this new SS one. Hopefully It'll do the job.

But I have a question someone here might be able to help with. I have no real experience with aluminium spars until this boat.

How do I approach fitting ss fittings back to the ali boom. I'm getting varying information. Everyone agrees that the stainless needs to be isolated from the ali, we all know that.
    One guy says that because the boom is painted ( or will be) all I need to do is insulate the threads/ rivets by using tefgel because the paint is the gasket. The old fittings had plastic tape behind them as well. If it was raw ali or anodised it would definitely need the gasket .
    I've been wondering about making plastic washers and gaskets and use the tefgel as a belt and braces approach.
    Actually, to do that I've also being thinking of just glassing some tape onto the fittings first and trimming and drilling to make an exact gasket, the epoxy will hold it long enough and its under compression anyway.
    Any real world experience out there?

Use monel rivets and Tefgel. When I've asked those in the know about gaskets, they've recommended epoxy but if a gasket is required to act as a washer, use micarta.

I'm going to replace the giant anchor windlass on Masina soon. Do you have a recommendation JB?

Rick

I'll be talking to Nillson as a first option Rick, evaluating what they have. There's an Aussie brand I'd also look at , the name escapes me right now although I know it well. I'd look at them because like Nillson they continue to service product they've sold , unlike Lewmar/ SL.

Lofrans? Maxwell?

Muir. I knew it was an M .

Yes , I'm using tefgel , I'm using monel rivets where applicable and the tefgel on threads where there are bolts. The question is , given the boom will be painted ( powdercoated actually ) should I be making gaskets to go between the stainless and the boom , or is it unnecessary?

My stripper works now its been tuned a bit . I fitted that and it seems all good. popped in to the viaduct too. they have a do organised for the launching of Ngataki.

Ngataki is a much loved piece of NZ's sailing history , she's a beefy home built boat constructed during the Great Depression which then went off and has had a couple of careers cruising the Pacific and around the world to various places.
    Her original builder , Johnny Wray, wrote a fantastic book called South Sea Vagabonds all about the building and her subsequent voyages while he owned her.
    It reads somewhere bewteen Slocum or Pidgeon or Gerbault , and Farley Mowat. It is so amusing the things that man got up to to make his dream come true. Y'all have to buy a copy if you see one, Its just being reprinted to coincide with the re launch. I laugh just thinking about him going off at night with a shovel and wheelbarrow to take tar pools off the side of the road constructions, to use for baking onto his fastenings and for seams.

The significance of the oranges is that one of his schemes to earn some income in the depression , was to sail off to Sunday Island ( Kermadecs) and bring a cargo of oranges back. The trip became extended in bad weather and they only arrived back in NZ after eating the cargo.

Next door is another boat of great character and amazing voyages, Andrew Fagan's Swirly World.

Last edited by John B; 08-07-2014 at 11:17 PM.

I reckon it would be a swirly world in that thing! Like it though! I didn't know Muir was an Australian manufacturer - that's great! I thought we only made holes in the ground! Hutton also make windlasses, in Sydney, but the Muirs are particularly nice. I'll check out the Nillson site too.

JB, I think if you put epoxy glue under your fittings as a gasket, that will work as well as anything. That's what was recommended to me when I inquired about the same issue at the boatyard In Newcastle recently. That's what I'll be doing with Masina's boom fittings.

Rick

^ we have Muir winches. I do believe they bought out Harken or Lewmar abt 30 year back and then went under as a result.
    Xanthorrea

I reckon it would be a swirly world in that thing!
    Yep all the way to the Auckland Islands, touching the great southern ocean brrrr and very swirly!
    whatever rocks your boat

Amazing stuff!

Rick

I forget how long Swirly World is ,18? something like that. She's tiny for a keel boat.
    Meerkat ( David) always was fascinated by it , I went out looking for it a few times for him because I knew roughly where it moored. I was looking for it in its old guise of sort of blue/ green swirls on white IIRC?
    edit. No just green, blue antifoul, must be imagining the swirls.
    a pic from 09 when we came across him out on the harbour

At that time it was away being refitted and when it came back, voila.. orange. At a distance, I didn't recognise it.
    I did go to a talk he gave on his trips, what a character he is too.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/...bjectid=383465

Last edited by John B; 08-08-2014 at 03:53 PM.

More power to him! I admire these characters!

Rick

Pretty sure I've read and enjoyed South Seas Vagabonds. The great thing about the ageing process is you get to read good books again and it's like the first time. Must see if I can find it

Aboard my boat in an Auckland, NZ, Marina.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I was looking for it in its old guise of sort of blue/ green swirls on white IIRC?
    edit. No just green, blue antifoul, must be imagining the swirls..
    Actually, I think you're right about the swirls, John. I too have a memory of her painted like that, though it was some time ago.
    "The truth shall make ye fret" - Terry Pratchett

There's hope yet then Cap.

I've started to read South Sea Vagabonds again, I've read it many times over the years.
    It is hilarious, there are things I'd forgotten and things that are a bit different from what I remember, but talk about a book full of dry humour. Last night I'm up to the bit where he is trying to get the boat onto a large trailer in order to truck it to the beach. The boat section is sloping so he keeps greasing up the 'ways' but the boat takes off, slips on down and crashes through a stone wall. After a big rest and another go they end up getting the boat down to the road safely and jack her up 4 ft odd to get her to lay on her bilge on the trailer unit. Then they get to the 6 ton bridge with an estimated 24 tons.....( no problem, but the writing is just great).
    Last edited by John B; 08-10-2014 at 08:34 PM.