Thread: Toledo Oregon Wooden Boat SHow

Default Toledo Oregon Wooden Boat SHow

If you've never been down to the Toledo Wooden Boat Show, you're missing out. Toledo's seven miles inland from Newport Oregon and has been hosting a very family oriented wooden boat show at their nice waterfront park for 15 years now. Activities include cardboard boat races (hey...cardboard's kind wood) sponsored by Georgia-Pacific, a tent for building toy boats for kids of all ages and a family boatbuilding area where families assemble pre-cut kits based on Bolger's "Elegant Punt" design, to be followed by a race on Sunday. The nice concrete docks include two boathouses, one of which houses a very complete woodshop where families can involve themselves in a free boating and boatbuilding program and the other houses the products of those efforts which are then loaned out during the boatshow so folks can row and paddle around on the Slough.
    Boats have ranged from last year's collection of steam powered launches to the many boats that showed this year from local builders including Bruce Hay's lovely Gartside 170 "Naima". Bruce and his wife built her from scratch including milling the lumber for the cold molded hull:
    IMG_4959.jpgIMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4961.jpg

My own Richard Stover build Joel White "Shearwater" looked pretty pale in comparison:
    IMG_4999.jpg

Default Re: Toledo Oregon Wooden Boat SHow

Wasn't Naima gorgeous?

So much good stuff to see.

If you're at all local - mark it on your calendar for next year. Third weekend of August. It's worth the trip --

https://www.portoftoledo.org/wooden-boat-show
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quite a lot of working fishing bats were scheduled to appear, but a postponement in the fishing season left them, well...working! Newport is the #1 fishing port on the Oregon Coast and the Port of Toledo still includes a huge repair and haul-out facility continuing a long tradition in the area. Boats were available for livery rental for sport fishing for many years and the Buisman Family has saved one of 5 that their father built in 1960 for rental use up on the Siletz river.
    IMG_5004.jpgIMG_5005.jpg

The other side of the "rescue" coin was "Sweet Melissa", an Olympic Monotype newly built by Peter Hazel and his brother Eric with a design collaborated on by Broadway/Johnson/E.B. Shock that was released in 1932 and later went into production as the "Snowbird". This was built with the original curved coaming and original bronze fittings were salvaged lovingly from scrapped boats.
    IMG_5000.jpgIMG_5001.jpg
    IMG_5002.jpg

What David G. Said! Being located in a working port, the tugboat theme was popular, and they came in all sizes:
    IMG_4967.jpgIMG_4979.jpg

And other Surprises came in small packages including this one with complete camping quarters:
    IMG_4976.jpgIMG_4977.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Quite a lot of working fishing bats were scheduled to appear, but a postponement in the fishing season left them, well...working! Newport is the #1 fishing port on the Oregon Coast and the Port of Toledo still includes a huge repair and haul-out facility continuing a long tradition in the area. Boats were available for livery rental for sport fishing for many years and the Buisman Family has saved one of 5 that their father built in 1960 for rental use up on the Siletz river.
    IMG_5004.jpgIMG_5005.jpg
    This one is a 'Dillabaugh' Rocket. The dad bought 10 kits and assembled them as he had time. I restored one of them a few years back for another client, and was impressed at how well they handled and how fast they were with minimum power... for such simple boats. The three sons have just now started to assemble #6... and realized the stem has powder post beetle. So I'm going to make them up a new one. I might also take one of the kits off their hands to build out as a family runabout.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I didn't get good pictures of Fred Johnson's Wineglass Wherries built from redwood salvaged from an old municipal water tank, but I did get his 10' tender based on the Lawley/Gardner design published in Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft".
    IMG_4970.jpgIMG_4971.jpg
    Part of the reason for the crowd around Fred's display:
    IMG_4973.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    What David G. Said! Being located in a working port, the tugboat theme was popular, and they came in all sizes:
    IMG_4967.jpgIMG_4979.jpg

The first foto above - the larger tug is a Berkley Engineering design. The smaller was designed and built by one of the Coots. The R.H. foto - also designed an built by one of the Coots... for their young son.

And other Surprises came in small packages including this one with complete camping quarters:
    IMG_4976.jpgIMG_4977.jpg

This is yet another boat designed and built by one of the Coots. Twin Minnkota hull-mounted pods. I haven't been out in it yet, but he reports excellent performance.

As I said... LOTS of interesting boats to see.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

2-thumbs up.jpg

more pics please

the boats are beautiful

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Toledo has a very impressive program encouraging families to come build, repair and use boats in the boathouse and shop. During the event they set up tents where families assemble Bolger "Elegant Punts" and then race them On Sunday (I couldn't be there for that #$@!)
    IMG_4994.jpgIMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_4995.jpg
    oops...

And for those less ambitious the toy boat tent was a huge hit:
    IMG_4988.jpgIMG_4989.jpg

Louisiana-Pacific provided materials for cardboard boats for those adventurous enough to brave the waters of the Slough in their creations with prizes given for fastest, best sinking and fastest L-P employee.
    IMG_4982.jpgIMG_4984.jpg
    Some were faster..
    IMG_5007.jpg
    than others...but everyone had a good time!
    IMG_5012.jpg

The Family Boating Program centers around two buildings on the docks, one housing the boats and one housing a very nice shop that's open on Thursday nights for boat projects.
    IMG_5020.jpgIMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5025.jpg
    Folks can work on bigger boats, like the Port-owned "Teak Ladies":
    IMG_5028.jpg
    ...or rather smaller projects:
    IMG_5023.jpg

Ken Snyder brought a nice "Wee Rob" canoe and his Rangely Lakes boat with some nice detailing and forward facing rowing system. Some day I'll get to try one of those out!
    IMG_5017.jpgIMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5016.jpgIMG_5019.jpg

The Alan Holt "Enterprise" owned by Elaine Ginader didn't quite get rigged up..
    IMG_5030.jpg

But the Ken Swan designed "Winterhawk" dod, although it never got to leave the dock that I saw...
    IMG_5033.jpg

A Lightning, however spent enough time on the water that I never got to get close! Good on 'em!
    IMG_5031.jpg

James Reim's Swampscott Dory "Raven" was a familiar face in the crowd...
    IMG_4969.jpg
    hmmm....I thought I'd fixed all those rollovers...and there were plenty of boats I'd not met before:
    IMG_4974.jpgIMG_4980.jpg
    ...and many I'd like to be able to get a closer look at!
    IMG_5014.jpgIMG_5036.jpg

Being a family event there were demonstrations...
    IMG_4997.jpgIMG_5022.jpg
    na of course, Pirates...
    IMG_5040.jpgIMG_4987.jpg
    ...and plenty of food! It felt a bit like a family potluck....if you're lucky enough to have Curtis Salgado in the family for entertainment!
    IMG_5043.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Thanks for the photos Hugh !

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Thanks for the photos Hugh !
    Indeed! I'm glad you were shooting. I always get too busy yakking. John Kohnen usually covers the foto duties for the Coots... but sometimes it's a while before he get 'em posted.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to seeing John's pictures! Wish I could have stayed around for the Coots' EBS, but was committed to being in Rainier by noon Sunday with an empty vehicle to load up my wife's weekend stuff

Great Photos!

Good photos, Hugh! Thanks for posting them.

I thought it was just a coincidence that your Shearwater was painted just like Richard Stover's, seen here during a Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Show and Crab Feed almost twenty years ago.

http://boat-links.com/DepoeBay/00/BoatFest-4.html

It was a pleasure talking with you at Toledo.

Thanks for the photos Hugh! Looks like a great time for all!

I'm an original Oregonian, U of O and OSU in the 70's, who allowed work to take him from the PNW decades ago. Glad to see all of the building going on and even gladder to see several friends names from way back when.

Toledo has obviously changed a bit since then. Once again, THANKS for covering the boat show!!!

Eric
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

I've got my photos of the recent Toledo Wooden Boat Show up, and shots of a Coot trip down the Yaquina for lunch afterwards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohne...7710670034432/

Nice Pics, John!

David,
    Haven't forgotten about the stem. Hope to get to it after the 1st of the year.
    Jim Buisman