Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71617

Thread: The scale of the thing

Default Re: The scale of the thing

Hi Chris, yes that's our tiller in post 544. She was tiller when launched in '75 and for the first year or few while still owned by the Donald bros.
    When they sold her the new owner wanted wheel so that was fitted. Because of the configuration , transom rudder etc, it was hydraulic. Fast forward to 2005 or 6 and the man I bought it off removed the wheel and made that new tiller ,to the delight of Graham Donald and Laurie Davidson.( so I'm told).
    So now we have a T shaped cockpit which suits a wheel, and little locker space along with a giant cockpit . I'm putting that locker box in for stuff.
    A lot of people here know the boat, I get several a year commenting on how she was their dream ship. I think she was the first big prestige yacht for Laurie Davidson, I certainly have met people who have commissioned boats because of her anyway.

Quite biggish at 45 ft (and say 13 or 14 odd tonnes )for a tiller eh... but its not an issue ,... in fact I've made a shorter cruising tiller and more often than not end up sailing her with that anyway.
    I have that race page from Sea spray somewhere and various good ole mates like to relate Fiji race stories about Riada every time I see them. lots of rum involved in one of them.

some light reading if you're interested...

Haven't sailed her for a month , hopefully off out tomorrow night for a reach up to Kawau.
    Last edited by John B; 11-23-2016 at 07:16 PM.

Friday : Northerly 15 knots rising to 20 knots in the morning and to 25 knots gusting 35 knots in the afternoon. Changing westerly 15 knots late evening. Sea becoming rough in the afternoon, easing late evening. Poor visibility in rain developing in the morning, easing late afternoon.

Outlook

Saturday : Westerly 10 knots, rising to northwest 15 knots. Fine breaks.
    Sunday : Northwest rising to 25 knots but 20 knots about the Harbours, becoming westerly 25 knots everywhere late. A few showers developing.

For going North.....Might need to re arrange the strategy a bit.
    Last edited by John B; 11-23-2016 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Any love for early IOR boats or late RORC boats (as in Rainbow's case) is DEFINITELY warranted. In fact I'd extend the love all the way through to the mid '80s, at least, to boats like the Farr 40 design 136, Briand level raters, the Whitbread ketches, etc.
    I agree. I've put a few miles on a S&S Swan 47, a lovely boat (even lovelier when they put a carbon rig in). She was early IOR. That Kiwi chap, Bruce, designed some good boats, but produced some horror stories too.

Farr design 136.

So funny, one of my best sailing mates is permanent crew on Pacific Sundance, and the man who tells the Riada Fiji race stories I referred to was, and he still supports them. Thats his name on the sail in fact. hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris249 View Post
    Any love for early IOR boats or late RORC boats (as in Rainbow's case) is DEFINITELY warranted. In fact I'd extend the love all the way through to the mid '80s, at least, to boats like the Farr 40 design 136, Briand level raters, the Whitbread ketches, etc.
    OK, I'd have to agree.
    My ambivalence is probably due to most of my IOR sailing being done in some wide-beam/skinny-arse half-tonners. When pushed a bit too far, and our ambitions exceeded our capabilities (often) we had some memorable broaches.
    But otherwise, a few harbour races on some two-tonners which i remember with happiness.

We had a very infamous luxury tax , usually called the boat tax , inflicted on us circa 1978. That one piece of legislation was the death knell for many boatbuilders here, 20 % on top overnight.
    So you see extraordinary wooden boats of terrific build quality almost as a matter of course up to that date. You still get great boats as prestige builds after and as some of the more well established guys carried on. Even the glass and then the composite boats are often really substantial scantlings by todays standards, if you can get past the pox.
    Often those wooden RORC, tonners, IOR boats are quite amazing construction. Hard to sell in todays market though , people want wide bums and walk through transoms, 2 heads and 3 cabins.
    As a counterpoint thjough , we're starting to see more badly built Euro boats failing structurally now. Stupid little grid/ hull liners with no proper keel bolts through anything except a slightly beefed hull thickness. Deck / hull poly glue joints letting go.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...1206268072.htm
    This GRP yacht has suffered suspected separation of the hull liner from the hull, although to what extent is unknown.

It is known that when the vessel is placed on the hard stand the hull immediately aft of the keel concaves by approximately 30 - 35mms.

There are indications in the bilge area of previous repairs - some of which have now failed.

It has been suggested that at least the entire hull liner through the centre of the saloon will require removal.

The above does not purport to be the full extent of damage / failure.
    Honestly..... go to sea in that thing? Its just a commodity past its use by date.
    Last edited by John B; 11-24-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Yep

Rick

Hey, look what Paul Pless found for us https://www.flickr.com/photos/anmm_t...ns/8712549772/

Rick

Nice!

Some old history emerging as I have a big workshop clean.

oops ,WBF no longer accepting my phone uploads.
    photobucket no longer uploading either. sorry for the bump. edit.. perseverance pays off ,some new security check ...

Looking for the tear drop marconi mast section for Tom's thread, I have the 6 or 7 ft I chopped off doing duty as a mezzanine post for my sisters Ford Y.
    Thats a pretty wee car , no wonder I took it off her when she left it in the rain.

Last edited by John B; 08-09-2018 at 08:25 PM.

A few definite scale of the thing worthy occurrences over the last few days..
    One of the boat kids of our group is on one seriously special sailing machine, and sail a lot it does.

arrived in port on Friday..

I think that young fella has 50 k sea miles over the last 2 years including rounding cape horn and sailing Patagonia.

There was this opportunity for an old guy in a laughing polar bear cap to do a 'rig check'.......

dunno how many of Riada's masts on end that was ... a few.
    Westhaven marina , We're in there somewhere.
    Last edited by John B; 09-30-2018 at 05:35 PM.

It makes you feel less guilty when it's a power winch pulling you up.

Very cool

Massive! Aluminium?

Rick

That's some dinghy John…………...

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    It makes you feel less guilty when it's a power winch pulling you up.

Very cool
    When you see the diameter of the line taking the cage up its best just to trust.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Massive! Aluminium?

Rick
    Aluminium hull and carbon rigs with carbon rod rigging. Running backstays on the mizzen get loaded to 45 ton when sailing iirc.
    They dont gybe.

You should see the locker for the tenders, Jeff.....amazing.
    Last edited by John B; 09-30-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Quite a big week , although every week is a big week these days. Friends who have been terrific to us and helping us a lot were hauling their boat in Opua so I was North to help with that on wed/ thurs.
    In the yard is a mini Infidel/ Ragtime called Sagitta ( also fitting for the scale of the thing). Not only is she a smaller version of that famous Spencer pioneering transpac sled , she also was extensively hot rodded with a can keel and bulb, revised rudder foil and hot rig and sails back in the 90's I think. sailed all over the pacific and faster than any plywood boat would expect to go.

Coming up for sale after a time sitting on a mooring.

Destination , the boat I was there to help with came out , was put on the Exclusive boat haulage trailer ( a miracle of engineering in itself), rudder dropped out and rig out so she could travel off to a shed for refitting and painting.

the scale of the thing component was the new 'hiab' of astonishing reach and capacity for the rig....

and off she goes..

She's a 3 skin cold moulded kauri boat from about 1980 or so. Lidgard, an extremely good offshore cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    When you see the diameter of the line taking the cage up its best just to trust.
    Cage!

Rick

Destination's a funny name for a cruising yacht. I bet they have have fun with that in the radio from time to time.

Rick

Destination is one of the boats that helped us jury rig Waione in 1989 by using their halyard to lift the joined up mast.The name of the boat didn't stick and when my friend bought it in 06 or so I didn't make the connection. I sailed on it, raced on it and partied on it.
    Then one day I came across an old photo of the mast raising and eureka.
    So there's a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Cage!

Rick
    Yeah... a moving crows nest thing, had us two old guys up there like the ones in the theatre box from the muppets.

I had the remote.

So were you Statler or Waldorf?

Can't remember......

That looks scary high.
    55' above the water feels dam high to me.

Just made the connection with Willis sails.
    Our Willis genoa is still going great. When back just after he sold the business for a refurb.

Yes , Simon Willis' old boat , he sailed the hell of that. I suppose you've read his amazing survival story from a year or two back , Zane.
    Astonishing.. single handing the 'new' Sagitta up the coast of South America when he had a stroke. He self rescued by just doing what he could , sailed thousands of miles to do it.

One more scale pic for today.

A visit on sunday also to the last of the old yards. Reminded me of how our yard at Okahu used to be for the 20 odd years of our winters we spent there.... our wee quadbike parked up under the bridge by the wrecked cat/ proa.

I just came across this from 09 with our boy and his best friend.. the two mates sat up the rig of our friends boat for hours on end each night, they must have been about 14 or so. Now one of them is just finishing uni (hopefully) and the other is the one just arrived in on Aqijo and 2 years and 50 K mile aboard, I've seen a drone photo of him standing on the cap of one of her masts, arms out.

So thats another type of scale too I suppose. Insert wry face here.