X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geftb
    Good Enough For the Bush
    • Aug 2017

Re: The scale of the thing

He Handled the situation amazingly! It becomes a very big ocean when your boat is sinking!!!

Comment

• Hwyl
      Gareth
      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by John B
      Did I mention I looked at Wonderland a couple of months ago. Quite surprised she was still here.
      Yes you did.I'm surprised too.

Comment

• auscruisertom
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by John B
        I think you're right!

Anyway , my point is that both boats were being driven hard in high waves with the wind and waves well forward of the beam. It seems to me that is when you hurdle across waves without backs, whereas hove to its all slower and the same waves actually do have backs.
        Phil did everything right after it hit the fan..textbook.. very valuable talk and it makes you think.
        Quite right Below is a picture of Rain Eagle a Westsail 43 in heavy trades 2 days out of Hawaii we managed to keep up with her averaging 133 nm over 10 days from Christmas Island. The last two days we where under storm sails and undoubtedly pushed our Contessa 32 just a little too hard.
        I then had the unenviable task of having to Fiberglass the forward bulkheads while living aboard at Ali Wei marina.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• John B
          • Aug 2000

Great pic. We don't slam much but we would slam doing that, which would bring on a change of tactics.
          Last edited by John B; 05-12-2019, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Phil Y
            Banned
            • Apr 2010

That doesn't look comfortable.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Comment

• auscruisertom
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Phil Y
              That doesn't look comfortable.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
              You got that right. Conditions on our 32 footer where atrocious slamming into those square waves. We where two days out close reaching while attempting to lay Hilo, fortunatley those irregularly jagged waves only lasted around 10 hours,they where also the start of increasing trade wind strength.
              Unable to lay Hilo we used Cooks bay as a port of refuge drying out the boat and then foolishly proceeded crossing the Alenuihaha channel later that evening where we encountered winds gusting in the 35kn + range and several waves that completely filled our cockpit whith the following wave emptying most of the water, needles to say we might have been just a little overcanvassed.
              Rain Eagle soon left us in her wake and we then found ourselves entering Ali Wei marina well after dark which to date still remains one of my most difficult night harbour approaches .
              I found the entrance by relying solely on a fix taken at twilight and guts due to being unable to make out a single channel marker light with the bright lights of Wai Kiki blazing ,all around. Once we where within the range of the reef break I started turning the boat around only to find we where dead on in the channel and had missed everyone of those channel markers on our way in.

Comment

• John B
                • Aug 2000

I had a phone call suggesting I drop in and look at the Ida restoration as they're at rig design and placement stage. Nice job they've done and it's a little bit of a family affair. My son is in his NA internship and worked sail areas , ce and clr on supplied plan. I think they have hit the nail on the head and I had some constructive additional comments to make, which they tell me was helpful.
                Ida is 1894, very transitional from the old clipper bow style but still with very deep bow sections despite some cutback. Looks slippery to me.
                20190516_134544.jpg
                Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• John B
                  • Aug 2000

20190516_140911.jpg
                  Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• John B
                    • Aug 2000

20190516_134425.jpg
                    Good old kauri.

Comment

• RFNK
                      Port Stephens, Australia
                      • Feb 2007

Very nice!!

Rick
                      Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Hugh MacD
                        • Apr 2015

WOW!

Comment

• John B
                          • Aug 2000

Fast progress too. Ida is an interesting boat and story. She's one of NZ's classics which escaped to Australia in the 80's or so, before the antiquities act stopped that. Charles Bailey boat, she's had a life over there, Sydney.
                          Anyway , now owned by the NZ classic yacht charitible trust, there's a website with all the data.

When looking at the hull yesterday you could see the original chainplate positions, some mysterious anomaly of history by the rudder post and observe that the outer skin of three had been splined at some stage. Looked like cedar to me, a good option as its softer than the kauri planking. Inner skin was 98 -99% original, with a few hood ends replaced by the rudder post. The usual end grain damage around the sheer clamp area. In other words that 1894 3 skin kauri hull was well into the high 90s percentile of original timber and will stay that way. A bit like Rainbow, Rawhiti and Ngatira, all boats I ran restoration progress threads on back a few years. Ida is possibly the best of all of them for original timber content, but perhaps it'd be nit picking over a percent or two to say that.
                          Some frames and floors were being added or replaced and a new deck of course.

Untold in there and perhaps tenuously related is a sequence of events that lead to a modern yachting tragedy. Still it's part of the fabric.
                          Last edited by John B; 05-16-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• John B
                            • Aug 2000

Another scale of the thing.....
                            The Daring spent a century under the sand.
                            20190519_101252.jpg

Now in a shrink wrapped shed and being stabilised

20190519_100032.jpg

Comment

• John B
                              • Aug 2000

Lots of cool stuff..
                              20190519_100148.jpg

Comment

• John B
                                • Aug 2000