Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15242526 LastLast
Results 841 to 875 of 891

Thread: The scale of the thing

  1. #841
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay NZ
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

    In between the rain squalls, drizzle and showers of northern New Wetland ,I removed the jib to clean and dry it yesterday.

    I might bless the thread with a photo later when the air changes from blue.
    We lived in Kerikeri for 3 1/2 years in the 2000's. In that time we had TWO 100 year floods...and a couple of droughts, so much so, a mate of mine bought a water delivery truck and made a packet...strange days.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

  2. #842
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Strange indeed.
    What do you do with a 500 ft sail when you want to lay it out? Over the years I've done it on the lawn or the driveway, I've done it in my workshop factory building. If you like gravel bits, grass clippings or factory wood dust it's fine.
    Here it's risking the deck, looking for any newly started nails etc. Damn clamshells.
    20220502_142419.jpg
    Currently in the house, which works fine when home alone.
    Last edited by John B; 05-03-2022 at 07:04 PM.

  3. #843
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    35,199

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    We've had two days of virtually no rain, the place is still very much Gumboot country though.
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned


  4. #844
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay NZ
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    In the house?That means you could vacuum clean it (edit, and the house too I suppose...rainy day and all).
    Last edited by Mike1902; 05-02-2022 at 07:26 PM.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

  5. #845
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,324

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Still looks new to me!
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  6. #846
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    It has a bloom in it of some sort, it was neglected over covid and we went straight into using it.
    20220503_171109.jpg
    Interesting cloth, discontinued now I believe. Some sort of polyester laminate by Dimension. Worked well for me anyway.
    It's on kiwislides so I can drop it on the foil and set it like it's on hanks . Big reefing packer in behind the luff . That and the cloth weight makes it our 5 to 50 knot sail.
    I'm cast now, trying to work out how I can get it flaked by myself and with not enough room.
    Last edited by John B; 05-03-2022 at 07:05 PM.

  7. #847
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    And in between squalls and rain, I managed to get the main and mizzen sprayed this morning.
    Attachment 110468
    20220504_104112.jpg
    Same cloth on those but I think they were about 2012...
    Practically new.
    Last edited by John B; 05-03-2022 at 07:06 PM.

  8. #848
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    In the house?That means you could vacuum clean it (edit, and the house too I suppose...rainy day and all).
    Family arrives back in a few days, the Batchelor certainly needs to get serious about floors and suchlike.

  9. #849
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    I have a picture.. just finding it on the phone..
    Ah yes
    20220712_120602.jpg

    A hard decision whether this belongs in Ricks garden art thread or here but the decision is made and here it shall be.
    This thing is Gypsy's hole. Like a donut hole see, its the bit removed so she could be repaired after being run down and sunk a decade back, leaving my friends John and Jill swimming for their lives.( injured) See the black marks of the T bone , or perhaps recovery. I think the former.
    More came out than that , there were threads at the time , but this is the bit I bought at the fundraiser to go towards her repair and rebuild.
    Gypsy: 1939 Logan of about 34 ft, a pretty little fast cruiser of her day, strangely for the time launched as a gaff rig but now very active under a wooden bermudan.
    As you can see she's a variation on the usual method of the period here, cold moulded multi skins with no glue over a few stringers and some floors etc. No ferrous metals, copper rivets and bronze fastenings to stick her together. In Gypsy's case she's only 2 skins of kauri, nominal 9 or 10 mm inner and 15 or 16 outer . Outer skin is caulked . So total hull thickness around the usual 25 mm, or 1 inch.
    That section about ooo 4 ft x 3 say, its an artifact now, just portaged up from our house in the smoke to our 'new' home in Northland.
    Last edited by John B; 07-11-2022 at 08:35 PM.

  10. #850
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay NZ
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    If I ever need a patch for Janet, I'll know where to come.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

  11. #851
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Ha! I think not somehow....

    We made a little road trip last week, I'll put some photos here .

    A little counterpoint, the Subie on the West coast , 90 mile beach. Its a highway but not 90 miles, this is about halfway up. We just drove in from the main road.
    Roads are all two lane tarseal in Northland, no motorways. Side roads are gravel and of the 800 kilometres we drove in 3 days we might have done 200 on gravel.
    800 km = 500 miles. o no , earworm.
    It also brings this Subaru trivia to mind. My car is an old Legacy GT , the model was replaced by something bizzarely called a Levorg, what those guys were drinking ,who knows.
    Anyway, Levorg spelled backwards is Grovel. If only it had been Levarg... at least there would be something right about Gravel ....

    The other interesting feature is that this far north patch is mostly on the Aupouri peninisular. Its a Tombolo, which is islands joined by sandspits that have grown over millenia into bona fide 'land'.
    So West coast is darker sand and East coast is white and gets whiter as you go North.
    20220719_144312.jpg
    East coast.
    20220719_161235.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-27-2022 at 08:55 PM.

  12. #852
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay NZ
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Storm's a comin'. (was)
    Last edited by Mike1902; 07-27-2022 at 08:31 PM.
    Focus on the effort not the outcome.

  13. #853
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1902 View Post
    Storm's a comin'. (was)
    Yes , one had just passed so we went anyway despite the very marginal forecast. We ain't made of sugar.

  14. #854
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    I'll risk another photo today , see if the site will accept it.
    We stayed in a motel for the night on the Houhora harbour. When the photo takes , that is Mt Camel in the distance , one of the few high landmarks in this area.( As noted by Cook). The entrance to the harbour is right under Mt Camel, we've been in and anchored there but not come up this far in the boat. On the harbour foreshore to the left of the Mt are two wrecks of NZ scows. Just bones left now ( or then back in about 13 when we looked) Rayman knows the names of those vessels.

    20220720_075114.jpg
    That looks like nope. now yes? no?
    Last edited by John B; 07-28-2022 at 04:54 PM.

  15. #855
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    44,842

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'll risk another photo today , see if the site will accept it.
    We stayed in a motel for the night on the Houhora harbour. When the photo takes , that is Mt Camel in the distance , one of the few high landmarks in this area.( As noted by Cook). The entrance to the harbour is right under Mt Camel, we've been in and anchored there but not come up this far in the boat. On the harbour foreshore to the left of the Mt are two wrecks of NZ scows. Just bones left now ( or then back in about 13 when we looked) Rayman knows the names of those vessels.
    Attachment 115550
    That looks like nope. now yes? no?
    Nope... Sorry!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  16. #856
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    I'll try again tomorrow

  17. #857
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Maybe another will take, I removed a few from the bilge so perhaps the software will give me one more today.
    Cape Reinga at the tip of NZ, those overfalls are the Tasman sea meeting the Pacific ocean.
    In the distance are the Three Kings Islands.
    Over several decades of boating ,certain areas bring tragedy to mind to me. I can't make passage into Whangaroa harbour without thought of the loss of the Lionheart in the 80's, or look at Cape Brett without thought for the Essence which foundered 3 days after we made the same passage from Fiji in 19.

    Looking from Reinga and at the unseen banks and currents that reach out a hundred miles or so to the North West, I think of the Nina being overwhelmed and lost in the storm in 2013. Theres a thousand miles of Tasman sea there and a prevailing westerly wind and a current which heads east. In bad conditions the seas build up , they come from miles deep to meet the banks at mere 100's of metres and they create a maelstrom of vertical seas ,which have claimed countless lives and vessels. Nina was one.
    20220720_093002.jpg

    20220720_094036.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-28-2022 at 05:16 PM.

  18. #858
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    44,842

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Great pics & background info. Stories of wrecks are spooky - almost as spooky as diving on one.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  19. #859
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    I have better photos of the lighthouse but that fisheye keep on truckin' one makes me laugh.

  20. #860
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,324

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Great shots JB! The Nina, what a disaster! It was not long after we sailed Masina over and they were also supposed to be headed for Newcastle. I drove down to Newcastle Harbour on most mornings after Nina was reported missing, hoping to see her there. I don't think anything at all has been found from Nina, has it?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  21. #861
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I'll risk another photo today , see if the site will accept it.
    We stayed in a motel for the night on the Houhora harbour. When the photo takes , that is Mt Camel in the distance , one of the few high landmarks in this area.( As noted by Cook). The entrance to the harbour is right under Mt Camel, we've been in and anchored there but not come up this far in the boat. On the harbour foreshore to the left of the Mt are two wrecks of NZ scows. Just bones left now ( or then back in about 13 when we looked) Rayman knows the names of those vessels.

    20220720_075114.jpg
    That looks like nope. now yes? no?
    Be aware that those boat you see are in the channel which is very narrow.
    Everything left of those boats is dry sand at low tide.
    There is a large Mussel farm in a bay just behind and north of Mount Camel.
    Good fishing round there.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  22. #862
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Over several decades of boating ,certain areas bring tragedy to mind to me. I can't make passage into Whangaroa harbour without thought of the loss of the Lionheart in the 80's, or look at Cape Brett without thought for the Essence which foundered 3 days after we made the same passage from Fiji in 19.

    Looking from Reinga and at the unseen banks and currents that reach out a hundred miles or so to the North West, I think of the Nina being overwhelmed and lost in the storm in 2013. Theres a thousand miles of Tasman sea there and a prevailing westerly wind and a current which heads east. In bad conditions the seas build up , they come from miles deep to meet the banks at mere 100's of metres and they create a maelstrom of vertical seas ,which have claimed countless lives and vessels. Nina was one.

    Mike Golding lost his keel sailing in a Round the World race that had a pitstop in Auckland.
    The boat was wrecked and abandoned if I remember right.
    Sometime in the 1980's I think.
    He was trying to catch another boat ahead of him and I believe he cut too close rounding Cape Reinga.
    Hit a sandbar not far from those breaking waves.
    20220720_093002.jpg

    20220720_094036.jpg[/QUOTE]
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  23. #863
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Great shots JB! The Nina, what a disaster! It was not long after we sailed Masina over and they were also supposed to be headed for Newcastle. I drove down to Newcastle Harbour on most mornings after Nina was reported missing, hoping to see her there. I don't think anything at all has been found from Nina, has it?
    Nothing. Within a month or so I was on a delivery from New Cal to Sydney. I was wired on my watches, peering out across the Coral sea for something..
    We went to Brisbane instead because of weather.

  24. #864
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Be aware that those boat you see are in the channel which is very narrow.
    Everything left of those boats is dry sand at low tide.
    There is a large Mussel farm in a bay just behind and north of Mount Camel.
    Good fishing round there.
    It's a strange place in that respect, all those boats are moored off to the North of stbd markers, which says the channel is to the south.
    I was never tempted , we came in the entrance past the rock and turned into the northern channel, felt our way into just enough water to anchor in.

  25. #865
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post

    Mike Golding lost his keel sailing in a Round the World race that had a pitstop in Auckland.
    The boat was wrecked and abandoned if I remember right.
    Sometime in the 1980's I think.
    He was trying to catch another boat ahead of him and I believe he cut too close rounding Cape Reinga.
    Hit a sandbar not far from those breaking waves.

    [/QUOTE]
    I forgot about him ,but did have a conversation pointing out the overfalls from closer up to Kirsty, and telling her that some boats went inside while racing.

  26. #866
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Thinking about this overnight I thought I should point out that Robbie and Grant ( who I hope might pop in sometime)are long term residents of this part of NZ , whereas I'm a newbie. Things they have known all their lives are fresh to me . I've explored much of the coast from the sea over the last 30 years or so but some of the geological, historical and/or geographical aspects are eye openers especially from the land.
    Still at Reinga, looking more NE, the cross hatching of the two seas meeting on the beach.
    20220720_094940.jpg

    This is a special place... One of those gravel road side trips that took us out along the squared off tip of NZ.

    Spirits bay is quite dramatic physically, and lore tells us this where the spirits of the departed leave for the afterlife.
    Yup.


    20220720_120905.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-29-2022 at 05:00 PM.

  27. #867
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    10,851

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    That looks like a nice getaway for a couple of days. You seem to be developing quite an eye for a good pic.
    The shot of Cape Reinga reminded me of sailing round there bound for the Hokianga, we stood well off because of the reputation that those sandbars have. I remember seeing flying fish skimming across the front of the swells, something I hadn't seen in NZ waters before, have you seen them much in your travels around NZ?

    Robbie is right about the fishing in that area in general. I've caught a lot of fish from the shore at the entrance of the harbour by the motorcamp.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  28. #868
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Yes I have stayed at the HouHora Heads motorcamp many times while on fishing trips.
    Also later when married with young boys. A tent for Mum and Me and a tent for the boys.
    Fishing: wade across from the camp and at the heads off the beach.
    kayak or small boat to that rock, it has a small cave on the Nth side and fish the incoming tide.
    Fish the channel from where you can get access,just Sth of the boat club/ramp, just where the channel turns Nth
    Good Kingfish in that channel
    I was told years ago to never walk on the exposed sand at low tide. Numerous quicksand spots scattered around, very dangerous.
    At high tide, Stingrays,Mullet and small sharks (Spiny Dogfish and small Hammerheads) feed on the shellfish beds there.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  29. #869
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Since I am giving away favourite Northland fishing spots today, i might as well add a couple more.
    I know JohnB knows Whangaroa Harbour well as he has been there and shared photos as well.
    1: North of the entrance motor north to about 100 metres off the cliff face and level with the rock that the swells break on.
    Anchor so you can just see into Taupo Bay. There is a reef system coming out from the cliff with 3 large guttters in it.
    Good fishing there on a calm day. One summer we were there with Blue Tropical water right in against the cliff.
    Snapper/Kingfish/Kahawai...........
    2: Stephenson Island/Mahinepua. North end and looking in to Taupo Bay about a 100 metres back from the semi-submerged rock that always has water breaking over it.........Snapper/Kingish/Trevalli and Kahawai.

    I always favour light lines and floating baits or casting lures/flies and drift them well back behind the boat.
    Good fishing and tight lines.....hope this helpful to you.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  30. #870
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    That looks like a nice getaway for a couple of days. You seem to be developing quite an eye for a good pic.
    The shot of Cape Reinga reminded me of sailing round there bound for the Hokianga, we stood well off because of the reputation that those sandbars have. I remember seeing flying fish skimming across the front of the swells, something I hadn't seen in NZ waters before, have you seen them much in your travels around NZ?

    Robbie is right about the fishing in that area in general. I've caught a lot of fish from the shore at the entrance of the harbour by the motorcamp.
    We have the or one of the largest flying fish species here in NZ, up to about 400 mm long I think. We don't see them often but certainly have seen plenty over the years. Kirsty famously( in our family) was hit in the back by one, turned around all fired up looking to see 'who' had hit her. I had a photo on here of it many years ago.
    We'd see sheets of the things in Tonga and fiji or on passage to and from, but theyre tiny little things by comparison, 100.. 150 mm or so.

  31. #871
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Yes I have stayed at the HouHora Heads motorcamp many times while on fishing trips.
    Also later when married with young boys. A tent for Mum and Me and a tent for the boys.
    Fishing: wade across from the camp and at the heads off the beach.
    kayak or small boat to that rock, it has a small cave on the Nth side and fish the incoming tide.
    Fish the channel from where you can get access,just Sth of the boat club/ramp, just where the channel turns Nth
    Good Kingfish in that channel
    I was told years ago to never walk on the exposed sand at low tide. Numerous quicksand spots scattered around, very dangerous.
    At high tide, Stingrays,Mullet and small sharks (Spiny Dogfish and small Hammerheads) feed on the shellfish beds there.
    We drove out to that camp ground.. great spot! Never heard of quicksand here though.

  32. #872
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    Since I am giving away favourite Northland fishing spots today, i might as well add a couple more.
    I know JohnB knows Whangaroa Harbour well as he has been there and shared photos as well.
    1: North of the entrance motor north to about 100 metres off the cliff face and level with the rock that the swells break on.
    Anchor so you can just see into Taupo Bay. There is a reef system coming out from the cliff with 3 large guttters in it.
    Good fishing there on a calm day. One summer we were there with Blue Tropical water right in against the cliff.
    Snapper/Kingfish/Kahawai...........
    2: Stephenson Island/Mahinepua. North end and looking in to Taupo Bay about a 100 metres back from the semi-submerged rock that always has water breaking over it.........Snapper/Kingish/Trevalli and Kahawai.

    I always favour light lines and floating baits or casting lures/flies and drift them well back behind the boat.
    Good fishing and tight lines.....hope this helpful to you.
    We were there at christmas and went to that spot off Whangaroa... I'd seen a couple of boats there so we drifted through. Got something outsized on and it busted me off.
    Thanks for the tips, I am a lousy fisherman though. A boaty who goes fishing, not a fisherman who goes boating.

    Next side trips were down to look at Parengarenga Harbour.
    The white blob is 100 or so Spoonbills.
    20220720_124445.jpg
    and a bit of a look at the silica sand spit at one side of the entrance. Access is hard there and the more I look the less interested i become in taking Riada over the bar. Its not getting in or out that is the problem in settled weather, its that it changes in a few minutes .
    We scoped it out from the sea many years ago.. 2013 I think. Man. Glass clam and Relentless had anchored off the bar with intention of running in in the dinghy. We arrived 1/2 an hour later to see them getting up anchored fast. Too fast because they lost something over the back and did a circle to grab it. The next we saw was the first 15 ft of their below water hull( 40 ft sailing yacht) as they rode over a swell out of nowhere. Saw nearly back to their keel. Yup, lets go.
    20220720_133324.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 07-30-2022 at 08:31 PM.

  33. #873
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    We drove out to that camp ground.. great spot! Never heard of quicksand here though.
    Maybe just a story to keep the Pakeha boy clear but I was told to keep off the exposed sand in Houhora harbour to the left of that narrow channel.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  34. #874
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waikato. NewZealand
    Posts
    3,526

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    We were there at christmas and went to that spot off Whangaroa... I'd seen a couple of boats there so we drifted through. Got something outsized on and it busted me off.
    Thanks for the tips, I am a lousy fisherman though. A boaty who goes fishing, not a fisherman who goes boating.

    Next side trips were down to look at Parengarenga Harbour.
    The white blob is 100 or so Spoonbills.
    20220720_124445.jpg
    and a bit of a look at the silica sand spit at one side of the entrance. Access is hard there and the more I look the less interested i become in taking Riada over the bar. Its not getting in or out that is the problem in settled weather, its that it changes in a few minutes .
    We scoped it out from the sea many years ago.. 2013 I think. Man. Glass clam and Relentless had anchored off the bar with intention of running in in the dinghy. We arrived 1/2 an hour later to see them getting up anchored fast. Too fast because they lost something over the back and did a circle to grab it. The next we saw was the first 15 ft of their below water hull( 40 ft sailing yacht) as they rode over a swell out of nowhere. Saw nearly back to their keel. Yup, lets go.
    20220720_133324.jpg
    Total agreement with you there.
    No place for Riada trying to cross the Parengarenga bar.
    There is a no facility campsite other then one longdrop toilet close to the Marae beside the Parengarenga harbour.
    You have to know who to pay, from the local iwi, for a key to the gate.
    Stayed there once only, as had a mate in the right iwi, and loved it.
    Old fella who kept an eye on the place came with me on a small boat fishing UP the harbour.
    Fished narrow channels around the Mangroves in places I would never have thought of trying.
    Watching 10lb plus Snapper and even bigger 30lb Kingfish swim past just a few feet away in water barely 6 foot deep.
    Those were the days!!!
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

  35. #875
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,405

    Default Re: The scale of the thing

    Very interesting Robbie. The first shot was from Te Hapua, the second Te Pua.
    Te Pua has a private camp ground but is way out in farmland on the point and has a cutting boatramp. That seems like a possible spot to launch a small boat for a tour around. Is that the place you meant.. no sign of any marae around.
    Screenshot_20220802-094930_Maps.jpg
    20220720_133415.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •