Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much can a 1 ton haul ?

Default How much can a 1 ton haul ?

I helped out a fellow today , took his truck to pick up some gravel for a concrete project . It is a Ford F350 diesel . He said to get 2 yards of gravel , the guy on the loader put on a bit more . The load weighed 7980 pounds ! Shovelled it all off this afternoon .

Default Re: How much can a 1 ton haul ?

I used to put a ton of hay on my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup.

Those ratings are conservative.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

I think those ratings are originally based on military ratings; how much you can haul under off-road, military conditions, on a regular basis, without too much detriment to vehicle durability.

Thus, on a smooth highway, I would expect that the military 6x6 5-ton truck would be capable of hauling much more than 10,000 pounds.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Ford f-350:

Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 10,100, curb weight (lbs) 5,813, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 11,100 and max payload (lbs) 4,287

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/...ons/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by George Ray View Post
    max payload (lbs) 4,287

Not.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

http://www.gmc.com/savana/cargo/specsCapabilities.jsp

My GMC 3500 van is manuf. rated 3,958 lb payload.
    Could well be that the entire load can not be concentrated over one axel.

It seems that you live in a different world - in Germany, if you overload above what the manufacturer has licensed, your insurance may not pay in case of an accident. Reason enough not to overload. Is this not an issue in the US?

I thought the military spec. was the airdrop payload.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olHo4X0ob1c
    R
    "Now Ron,don't you do anything stupid!" - Grandma B.

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    It seems that you live in a different world - in Germany, if you overload above what the manufacturer has licensed, your insurance may not pay in case of an accident. Reason enough not to overload. Is this not an issue in the US?

This is absolutely true in the US. However, many routinely disregard the gross vehicle weight rating because most ignorant rednecks believe they are smarter than the PhD level engineers who designed the suspension and brakes of the vehicle they are driving.

The same people believe pulling out is an effective method of birth control on the theory that "she didn't get pregnant last time."

In the event of an accident, insurance coverage may not be provided. But since the vehicle in question is usually an old POS, no significant financial loss to the owner. Just uninsured medical bills for themselves and the people they hurt. Possible criminal prosecution depending on the jurisdiction.

Running over the GVWR is criminally self-centered and stupid in any country.

It's ok though, when they are sued/prosecuted, they can blame the damn lawyers for creating such a litigious environment. Assholes.

Oh yeah.....

Tom

Is this not an issue in the US?
    It IS an issue in the US!

And if TimH or Three Cedars was in an accident with an overloaded truck (based on Manufacturer's Specs) they may as well have caused an accident while drunk or high.

It is (potentially) VERY serious. The word negligence is a power word in the US!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Thereís a yard that sells crushed limestone not too far from here. I used to have a 1975 Dodge half-ton pickup.

When I was a lot younger, I used to haul stone for the driveway. I would typically haul something like 2700-2800 pounds of stone at one time. Occasionally more like 3200 pounds. Rear springs were bottomed out, of course. I never had any control issues.

Only incident: Once when lugging my way up the steep hill leaving the stone yard, one of the spark plugs failed. The core and ceramic part blew right out of the threaded metal ring part. Drove the rest of the way home on 5 of the 6 cylinders. Replaced the plug. Went to get the next load.

Anyhow, on US trucks at least, the load ratings are printed on a label in the drivers door. Gross load for front axle, rear axle, and total. Total rating is less than the sum of the front and rear. I wouldnít worry about exceeding it a bit, but donít get carried away.

Wayne

Abuse? Not me! Real work is what pickup trucks are for!

I paid less than $1000 for that truck in 1982. For 20 years, I not only used it to haul stone for the driveway, I drove it out into the woods to haul firewood with no concern about swiping a tree with it. Used it to haul any other nasty stuff as needed.

Painted it with floor and porch paint with a 4-inch brush. Replaced the rusted-away bed with a pressure-treated wood model of my own design.

After 20 years, I gave it to a young couple who needed a pickup truck for real work. (I had bought myself a new three-quarter ton pickup in 1998, and wasn’t getting much use out of the old Dodge.) Last I heard, it was still doing work for them.

Wayne

There is a place in Seattle called Salmon Bay Gravel.
    You tell the clerk what you want and then pull under a suspended hopper.
    The gravel drops from about 5 feet above the bed of your truck.
    I was getting some pea gravel and the worker told me that they had a guy pull in with a Ford Astrovan. The top had been cut off, and the doors were welded shut.
    They refused to serve him, but he raised such a fuss that they pulled out a waiver of some sort and he signed it.
    The load dropped the vehicle down the full extent of his springs. The body was resting on the axle.
    Off he drove, fat and happy.

Quote Originally Posted by brad9798 View Post
    It IS an issue in the US!

And if TimH or Three Cedars was in an accident with an overloaded truck (based on Manufacturer's Specs) they may as well have caused an accident while drunk or high.

It is (potentially) VERY serious. The word negligence is a power word in the US!

Yep , I would say that one yard of gravel is plenty on a F350

Pickup trucks are like women. The rougher you treat 'em, the better they perform.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by Three Cedars View Post
    Yep , I would say that one yard of gravel is plenty on a F350
    Whatever youíre comfortable with. But thatís a light load for a one-ton truck. (IIRC, a yard of stone weighs about 2000 pounds.)

My C2500 (3/4-ton) is rated to carry just under 4000 pounds, and Iím sure that is a very conservative rating.

Wayne

In California the legal limit is whats posted on the tires. They don't give a hoot about any manufacturers limits.
    I think experience has shown that tires are the weak link.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    . . . I think experience has shown that tires are the weak link.
    Depends upon the tires. The tires on my truck are rated for 3042 pounds each @ 80 PSI. Common Load Range E tires, nothing special. X 2 = 6084, which is more than the 6000 pound rating for my rear axle.

Wayne

What makes a won ton a won ton is primarily the construction of the frame. First you get that right then fiddle with springs, tyres etc.
    basil

The GVWR rating on civilian vehicles is the normal max payload for "on-highway" conditions. If you are going off-road or on very bad roads, you should reduce payload (and drive slowly and carefully) if you don't want to destroy your truck. For military vehicles, it is assumed that you can load the vehicle at the payload limit and run off-road, and at minimum complete the mission. But even military vehicles run this way have a shorter life, they get beat to heck. I saw a Humvee that was decomissioned and available for purchase, man was it run out.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    What makes a won ton a won ton is primarily the construction of the frame. First you get that right then fiddle with springs, tyres etc.
    You betcha. After the pickups that the military ordered in the 70s fell apart, the next go around they specified minimum section modulus for the frame.

GM used to, I think still does, offer a "heavy" 3/4 that has the 1-ton frame and axles, but 3/4 ton springing and shocks, so it rides good but really holds up. And if you ever need the additional payload, you just swap out the springs and shocks.

when I was 16 years old, I loaded about 3000 pounds in the bed of a 1955 F-100 (6 cyl) and took off down the hiway. Once I got up to 50 or 60 mph I found the truck did not respond to suggestions from the steering wheel...I slowed down and scooted foward in the seat to get to the job site...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    when I was 16 years old, I loaded about 3000 pounds in the bed of a 1955 F-100 (6 cyl) and took off down the hiway. Once I got up to 50 or 60 mph I found the truck did not respond to suggestions from the steering wheel...I slowed down and scooted foward in the seat to get to the job site...
    That's why, as a general rule, engineers like to put the rear axle at least a bit behind bed center. But that is sometimes not possible with some of the new crew cabs with extra short beds.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Yah, but how many wontons can a one ton haul? Say that 5 times fast... Of course, the # will be seriously affected by the quantity of soy sauce.

Seriously though, as a mechanic for 15+ years, & tow truck driver for many of them, I can attest to what overloading a pickup can do. Not only is overloading (by a decent amount - I'm not talking 100 lbs. or so) dangerous, the way it will shorten the life of all the truck's components is huge. Springs, differential, axle/wheel bearings, brakes, ball joints, the list goes on & on. If your truck can handle (by the door sticker!) 4,000 lbs. & you need 5,000 - do yourself (& your wallet) a big favor & get 2 2,500 lb. loads.

By the way (from Wikipedia):

A cubic foot of dry, loose gravel with 1/4" to 2" stones is 105 pounds per cubic foot. So, a cubic yard is that times 27, or 2835 lb.

That's dry! Most of the time when you go to the pit, the stone has water running off it as it's loaded. This can add significant weight.

Finally (& then I'll shut up, I promise), the load capacity for a tire is at a specific inflation pressure. Vary much from that 80 lbs & it's capability drops dramatically. Of course we all keep our tires pumped up (& checked) so we get better mileage, right?

[edit] I need to use more parentheses, don't I?
    Last edited by Garret; 09-26-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Shouldn't have reread the thing

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    That's why, as a general rule, engineers like to put the rear axle at least a bit behind bed center. But that is sometimes not possible with some of the new crew cabs with extra short beds.
    it was an important lesson for me and I never forgot it...there were better things for me to do but I was 16...I drove to the job with my chest tight against the steering wheel
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    There is a place in Seattle called Salmon Bay Gravel.
    You tell the clerk what you want and then pull under a suspended hopper.
    The gravel drops from about 5 feet above the bed of your truck.
    I was getting some pea gravel and the worker told me that they had a guy pull in with a Ford Astrovan. The top had been cut off, and the doors were welded shut.
    They refused to serve him, but he raised such a fuss that they pulled out a waiver of some sort and he signed it.
    The load dropped the vehicle down the full extent of his springs. The body was resting on the axle.
    Off he drove, fat and happy.
    The Astro Van was a Chevy, a damn tough little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Does anyone who buys an extra short bed truck use it to haul anything other than groceries or golf clubs?

In my experience, loader operators are pretty good at putting the majority of the load in the front of the bed. I always carried a shovel to shift some weight forward if needed. Almost never had to do use it, except to knock the loose stone off the rear bumper before hitting the highway.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jeffers View Post
    Does anyone who buys an extra short bed truck use it to haul anything other than groceries or golf clubs?

In my experience, loader operators are pretty good at putting the majority of the load in the front of the bed. I always carried a shovel to shift some weight forward if needed. Almost never had to do use it, except to knock the loose stone off the rear bumper before hitting the highway.

Wayne
    It comes into play more often if you pull a fifth wheel (a common application for a short bed crew cab) and the rear axle is so far forward that the pin mount is behind the axle. (I think I've only seen that on some imports, I think a Nissan truck, where the axle was right at the front of the bed, right up to the rear doors.) Of course that is still better than all that weight at a rear tow hitch, but at least there you can use a load distributing hitch. But often you'll see guys loading up that hitch so far the front tires are almost off the ground.

In fairness, Bob, you said ďextraĒ short bed, which I take to be the ones about 4í long. I have a hard time imagining that the folks who buy those are doing any serious hauling. Towing a camper maybe, but not hauling.

I do a good bit of camping, and yes people towing fivers with a short (6.5í) bed truck is common. I donít think Iíve ever noticed one where they couldnít get the pin over the rear axle. But I donít think Iíve ever seen an extra short bed truck towing a fiver.

I have seen too many rigs where the weight distribution hitch was not properly setup (much too little tension on spring bars.) Makes you wonder whether the folks doing the towing realize that the hitch weight at the back of the tow vehicle acts like a lever, with the rear axle as the fulcrum, to take weight off the front wheels Ė the ones that are supposed to steer.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Jeffers View Post
    Whatever youíre comfortable with. But thatís a light load for a one-ton truck. (IIRC, a yard of stone weighs about 2000 pounds.)

My C2500 (3/4-ton) is rated to carry just under 4000 pounds, and Iím sure that is a very conservative rating.

Wayne
    The gravel I had on the truck yesterday weighed 7980 lbs that is almost 4 tons on a one ton truck . I wouldn't have been able to make a quick stop or make a fast corner.

True. 7980 pounds is too much. No argument from me on that.

But my post quoted your post that said you thought ďone yard of gravel is plenty on a F350.Ē

As I noted, I thought a yard weighs 2000 pounds. Turns out its more like 2750. I hauled about 2750 pounds dozens of times on my old Dodge half-ton with no harm.

My three-quarter ton GMC C2500 is rated to carry just short of 4000 pounds. I figure your F350 is probably rated for a cargo capacity of 4500 pounds or more. What does the sticker in your truck or your owners manual say about the cargo capacity?

One yard = 2750 pounds should not stress an F350 at all. Thatís only about a third of what you say you carried yesterday.

I think 4000 pounds would be a reasonable load for an F350. Turns out its closer to 1.5 yards than 2.

Wayne

Many moons back was building a stone retaining wall, wanted to make 1 repeat 1 trip to the stoneyard. I had an ancient, rode hard put away wet 74 Chevy "Heavy Half" , 3/4 ton rear axle and springs, 1 ton driveshaft and tranny. Oh, and a heavy duty 454. Went into the stoneyard at 3500 lbs, waddled out at 9000. Slow, low ride to the jobsite...

I regularly run hard wood from Missouri to Colorado for my biz
    I pay ~ $1.50 a foot for white oak at one of the back woods mills vs ~ $ 6.50 in Colorado ( ps, never buy wood in Colorado )
    I never overload the truck
    I got tong weight down to an art
    last time through I got stopped at a weigh station
    and Im talking about in my F 250 diesel with a 10,000 lb max capacity trailer
    normally you wouldnt think a regular pick up would get pulled over but they sure yanked me off the road for a closer look
    I was packed to the gills
    but perfectly
    they weigh you by the axle
    my trailer was right on the money 10,000 lbs
    my rear axle was also right on the money with about 1000lbs in the back and about 1 ton on the tong
    my front axle had an extra 120 lbs I could have loaded
    guy came sauntering out of the station
    ( he must have been board they normally dont do that )
    said "MR if you had a passenger you'd be over the limit"
    I said "I know"
    he smiled and waved me through

its $250 fine for being overloaded and no
    Ive never got the ticket
    and
    they make you unload the over onto another truck or onto the ground they dont care which but your not getting out of there overloaded
    I never had to do that either but given how many times I make that run ( at least a half a dozen a year )
    its bound to happen sometime
    I just calculate the mass of the load by the moisture content and the cubic feet of wood in the load
    sorta a miracle Ive been able to nail it so far
    Last edited by Boston; 09-26-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boylesboats View Post
    you're lucky.... without blowin' tires, bent axle, broken springs, and brake stopping without fade..
    I feel lucky .

had to drive easy coasting to a stop , no hard braking , nothing over 40 mph , about a 15 mile trip. The tires are rated at about 3415 lbs so yes overloaded there too.

Truck is a 2000 F 350 4x4 diesel rated at 9900 GVWR

at the scale truck was 7165 pounds ( including me and some gear about 220 lbs )

gravel weighed 7958 lbs , @ approx 2850 per yard = 2.79 yards = Too-f'n-much

combined weight is 15123 lbs ... hmm is it to late to buy a lottery ticket ?

happens all the time
    my roomies brother tore the axle off his truck overloading it
    brilliant eh
    then she asked if she could borrow mine
    and this just after the last guy to borrow my diesel
    put gas in it

the basic stupidity of people is genuinely frightening sometimes

The true fun comes when you blow a tire , hell even get a perfectly normal flat on a heavily laden vehicle that doesn't have duals .Getting a jack under the axle is impossible with the rim hard on the ground .I've you're smart enough to carry a pile of blocking it gets easier as you can drive the flat up onto a shaped stack and at least start jacking .

I learnt my lesson about the blocks a long time ago .The first time was no fun at all .No overloading ,just a badly shaped rock .
    Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may exist, but you have ceased to live.

Mark Twain

Your average camper these days is 2100lbs to 4000lbs. They seem to design these to be right at the top of the rated limit for the truck they are intended. Add a horse trailer and you are over the legal limit.
    The 3/4 ton we just got is a camper special - essentially a 1 ton. It will be carrying a 2200lb camper and pulling a 5000lb horse trailer. With the weight of our gear (probably another 1500lbs) and such it will be right at its legal limit or over slightly.

I have no bobt it could carry more safely, but that would null and void your insurance.

The tires are D rated.

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    Your average camper these days is 2100lbs to 4000lbs. They seem to design these to be right at the top of the rated limit for the truck they are intended. Add a horse trailer and you are over the legal limit.
    The 3/4 ton we just got is a camper special - essentially a 1 ton. It will be carrying a 2200lb camper and pulling a 5000lb horse trailer. With the weight of our gear (probably another 1500lbs) and such it will be right at its legal limit or over slightly.

I have no bobt it could carry more safely, but that would null and void your insurance.

The tires are D rated.
    If you are right at the limit, one thing you might look into are overload springs (aka helper springs). Check your state's laws, but often you can increase the truck's capacity by 500-1000 lbs with them. Of course they have no effect on the tire limits - which may be a bit low if you have D tires. Make sure you check their capacity. Also note that if you do choose to upgrade to E at some point you also need to upgrade the valve stems. Most tire shops just use standard stems that are only rated for 65 psi unless you specifically ask for better ones.

An advantage to helper springs is that they only come into play when the truck is heavily loaded - so ride quality at low loads is unaffected.

HTH

Garret

Hey Boston, what do you do if it rains while you're driving that load?

Dan
    Master of The Ensign's Gig: a 7 1/2 foot flat bottom plywood skiff,
    and Prudence: Lightning #7896.

Think Good Thoughts.
    Thoughts become words.
    Words become actions.
    Actions become habits.
    Habits become character.
    Character becomes destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    If you are right at the limit, one thing you might look into are overload springs (aka helper springs). Check your state's laws, but often you can increase the truck's capacity by 500-1000 lbs with them. Of course they have no effect on the tire limits - which may be a bit low if you have D tires. Make sure you check their capacity. Also note that if you do choose to upgrade to E at some point you also need to upgrade the valve stems. Most tire shops just use standard stems that are only rated for 65 psi unless you specifically ask for better ones.

An advantage to helper springs is that they only come into play when the truck is heavily loaded - so ride quality at low loads is unaffected.

HTH

Garret
    The camper special has 2 extra leaves (mounted as overload springs). The D tires say something like 2600lbs. I guess that will put them at their limit.

My 3/4-ton truck came with Load Range E tires. That's what I've always kept on it since. Rated at a little over 3000 pounds each.

Wayne

Where that photo of the Geo metro with the unit of plywood on it?

Thats what this thread needs

Steering problems can occur

I kinda thought of this one when I first read this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Xygo2054Q

Huisjen, I don't think he'll be doing any hydroplaning.

nothing a bigger motor and some trim tabs wont fix

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I regularly run hard wood from Missouri to Colorado for my biz
    I pay ~ $1.50 a foot for white oak at one of the back woods mills vs ~ $ 6.50 in Colorado ( ps, never buy wood in Colorado )
    I never overload the truck
    I got tong weight down to an art
    last time through I got stopped at a weigh station
    and Im talking about in my F 250 diesel with a 10,000 lb max capacity trailer
    normally you wouldnt think a regular pick up would get pulled over but they sure yanked me off the road for a closer look
    I was packed to the gills
    but perfectly
    they weigh you by the axle
    my trailer was right on the money 10,000 lbs
    my rear axle was also right on the money with about 1000lbs in the back and about 1 ton on the tong
    my front axle had an extra 120 lbs I could have loaded
    guy came sauntering out of the station
    ( he must have been board they normally dont do that )
    said "MR if you had a passenger you'd be over the limit"
    I said "I know"
    he smiled and waved me through

its $250 fine for being overloaded and no
    Ive never got the ticket
    and
    they make you unload the over onto another truck or onto the ground they dont care which but your not getting out of there overloaded
    I never had to do that either but given how many times I make that run ( at least a half a dozen a year )
    its bound to happen sometime
    I just calculate the mass of the load by the moisture content and the cubic feet of wood in the load
    sorta a miracle Ive been able to nail it so far
    That's not luck, that's engineering buddy; the ability to predict the future, via calculation. Impressive.

not sure where you are
    I get a lot of wood from the St Joe's area Missouri
    from Ohio and Arkansas as well
    but thats about as far as I care to drive

funny thing was not long ago I went out on a lumber run and I used a new mill
    those guys were great and really set me up with a pile of wood
    it was more than I had ordered and so when I first loaded it into the truck
    I just about sank it
    had to go rent a bigger trailer

turns out the 8/4 was still a little green
    only the 4/4 was kiln dried
    white oak is slow to dry in a kiln or you wreck it
    so its common for 8/4 to be a little green from the mill
    anyway between the extra wood and the green 8/4 I was way over
    Last edited by Boston; 09-28-2009 at 01:49 AM.

thats spooky I was just out there not more than a few weeks ago
    Ill be heading back in about a month ( I think ) for some slabs

I expect they wont weigh more than the load capacity on the truck so this next trip will be a cake walk

cheers
    B

Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    thats spooky I was just out there not more than a few weeks ago
    Ill be heading back in about a month ( I think ) for some slabs

I expect they wont weigh more than the load capacity on the truck so this next trip will be a cake walk

cheers
    B
    you bringing any of that white oak close to Fort Collins?
    In fact, if you can saw a penciled line, apply glue, drive nails, and bring a modest measure of patience to the task, you can build and launch a smart and able craft in as few as 40 work hours. You need not be driven by lack of tools, materials, skills, or time to abandon in frustration a project you conceived in a spirit of pleasurable anticipation.

-Dynamite Payson