Thread: wood boat seats

Hey all, my boat is a 1975 14' Lund has a need is for new seats. Before I'm booted for bringing aluminum to THE wooden boat site I must point out it has wood seats!

Granted, putting in nice wood seats is the proverbial lipstick on the pig, but I'd like to do it anyway. Since I have a 3 year old "helper" and another on the way in June, spare time is not in my future leaving building new or restoration out...for now. I figure the woodworking practice will do me good. Besides SWMBO let me build the shop last year, I have to do something in it!!

The seats measure 5/8" thick, 12" wide by various lenghts supported on the sides and ends. I've removed the old plywood and for replacement I was thinking of using either board oak glued together, planed, sanded and epoxied or oak/birch plywood treated the same.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks all
    Matt

I'll assume you want a bright varnished wood grain finish here. If just paint, buy some MDOfir plywood from the plywood store ( big box won't have it. ) Epoxy seal the edges and paint.

For bright, I would go to the big box store and buy 1/2" BC underlayment ($20) and 1/8" lauan door skin( $9). I've had a piece of this living in the dishwasher for 8 months with no deterioration Use Titebond III or epoxy and weights to glue down. Stain edges and top if you please, then seal edges with epoxy please please. Paint underside matching brown or white, varnish top side and edges. Then drill holes for fasteners slightly over size. Then please please usee a pipe cleaner to apply epoxy to inside of holes to seal that edge grain as well. If you can be patient, do it twice at least. Use caulk through those holes when fastening.

This job, if revarnished two coats before it REALLY needs it, will not need to be done again.

Matt, you certainly could use oak but you might consider something like some nice white pine, Cedar or any of the lighter weight woods. Oak is heavy and just adds to the top weight of your boat by building the seats of such wood. Another thing you could do which would look good and be fun to do woodworking wise is to glue up a couple pieces of say cedar or pine with say a walnut strip down the middle and on the edges. Must be a thousand ways to do it but be sure to have fun.
    Gary

Mike I am building a 20' Whitehall row boat and am making my seats out of White Oak and am Caneing them. I like the look and it will reduce weight. Which in my boat is critical. You can see cane seats in many Canoes, that is where I learned. Building an 18' Cedar Strip Canoe years ago. As long as you cover them from the sun when not in use, they will last a long time.

Thanks guys. Yes, I had bright in mind when I made the post. Buddy, thanks for the idea of using BC then 1/8 luan. That is probably what I'll do as it will look nice and not be overboard.

Gary & Tom, I like your ideas of combining the wood types. I think I'll look at doing that when I build. Currently I'm lusting after the penobscot by Arch Davis. Lots of opportunities to get fancy there.

Thanks again.
    Matt

I had a Lund S16 for almost 30 years; it lived on the trailer in MN, exposed to the elements. I replaced the original seats after 15 years of wear and tear with nice fine grain cedar. I worked hard to keep them looking good but replaced them after 3 years. I used MDO the second time, which is what, I think, was used originally. A little minor maintenance kept them looking good until I sold the boat a few months back. I would go to Menards and get a sheet of MDO, cut the seats to match, varnish, install and go fishing.

Gary