Thread: Flat-bottom skiff: Lapstrake?

Default Flat-bottom skiff: Lapstrake?

IF I finally get to build one this winter...
    Can I apply basic lapstrake building principals, such as in Ian's book, to the project? Any adaptations? Hints? Tips? Warnings? Advice to go shoot myself first and save myself the trouble?
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Default Re: Flat-bottom skiff: Lapstrake?

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Doing the bevels on the bottom like in Hill's ultralight boatbuilding seems like it would work fine and be sharp looking to boot. I say go for it.

Steve Redmond's "Whisp" is essentially a lapstrake (glued-ply lap) skiff, and darned nice, too.
    I've helped 2 friends build them - a nice and easy process with a good looking boat at the end.
    http://www.sredmond.com/index_boat.htm
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Thanks. I love Redmond's designs, and had considered Bluegill. But this is going to be an outboard powered 16-footer, Spira's Oysterman.
    "And look at Elias Wonder. Yeah, take a gander at that buzzard. Forty years ago he was happy, generous, charitable, tall, dark and handsome. Then he took up the fly rod. Now consider him. Uglier than fresh road kill. Evil-eyed, cantankerous, sullen, mean. An anti-social misfit that causes a groundswell of spleen wherever he goes."
    -- Harry Middleton

Ply or solid wood?

I've often thought that trying the same trick that Redmond uses with Whisp would be WAY cool on a larger boat -- pre-gluing the lapestrake ply hull panels on the flat before assembly. Not sure it would work on the Oysterman but the curves look gradual enough to my untrained eye...

Whisp assembly -
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Tom Hill's book is good, but his stringers don't run to the ends of the mold, so I don't see how he can possibly get a fair hull off it.
    Here is my mold.

And here is the hull that comes off it.

A little different from your boat I guess, but I have a false stem & a false transom on my mold & the hull comes off beautiful.
    Good luck with your build.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stouff View Post
    Thanks. I love Redmond's designs, and had considered Bluegill. But this is going to be an outboard powered 16-footer, Spira's Oysterman.
    Indeed the Bluegill can be had in a runabout version, a bit modified from the plans but the basics are here. If I can help with with the patterns, let me know.

Flush deck and trimmed with ash.

Lapstrake is always prettier than slab sided--well worth the extra trouble. Your boat will most likely end up stronger too, as where the planks overlap it forms a sort of longitudinal stringer, and it will probably also be drier with those built-in spray rails. By all means, go for the laps.
    If this post did not meet all of your needs, please consult this thread for more options.

The Atkins drew lots of them

You've all made me a believer!
    It'll be a plywood boat.
    What turned me off of Bluegill, though, is that I really want a "ply on sawn frames" boat.
    Last edited by Roger Stouff; 09-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    -- Harry Middleton

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Stouff View Post
    You've all made me a believer!
    It'll be a plywood boat.
    What turned me off of Bluegill, though, is that I really want a "ply on sawn frames" boat.
    Thats doable, lapstrake and all from what I understand with most slab sided hulls. I just need to learn how to do lapstrake planking.

Here's a flat-bottom, plywood, sawn-frame, lapstrake skiff. Iain Oughtred's John Dory. Take the time to teach yourself how to do glued lapstrake. It's not difficult, and it'll open up a world of lovely boats you can build.

Terry,
    That's a beautiful boat!
    But I'm wanting to build a outboard fishing boat for lakes and bayous in my native south Louisiana. Flat, easy to power with a small economical outboard.
    -- Harry Middleton

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100024

it is my opinion that a well made rowing skiff is both under-rated performance wise and a delight for the eye. i'm not sure if my boat is a delight to the eye, but it rows very well. humorously, my biggest problem has been building wooden outriggers. i've gotten some naturally crooked black walnut where the grain follows the curvature, and they are beautiful, but thus far have had trouble keeping epoxied risers on them. if i get them right i will post photos.
    i'm sure there's a joke there about walnut crtochwood, but good taste forbids it.

i hope you will build a nice lapstake skiff, and beautify the planet a small bit.
    Last edited by davebrown; 09-03-2009 at 10:53 PM.

btw, jim d, very nice color scheme on that atkins.

Quote Originally Posted by davebrown View Post
    btw, jim d, very nice color scheme on that atkins.
    Can't take credit, Dave. I just cut and paste the pic from the Atkins website.

Roger ; there's another method from the Chesapeake for planking such slab sided boats lapstrake ; 3 (or more) planks to a side . No lap bevels required ,but you still have to cut gains in the plank at stem and transom of course . Temporary molds , stem and transom are set up normally .You then work out pleasing plank proportions right on the 3 dimensional framework with long battens ; their width equal to your selected lap width . There will be some kind of rub strip or out wale at the sheer . The top plank needs extra width to allow for that, visually . A batten at the sheer will help you see that .

When all looks right , scarfed up plywood plank blanks are clamped to the battens one at a time and marked ; directly with a pencil top and bottom : no spileing . You can route the plank to shape with a flush trim bit running against the battens if you want (I did). These planks then serve as the patterns for routing those on the other side .

The battens are removed and the first planks fastened in place Port and Starboard . Then pad out the temporary forms with scraps of the plank material and add the number 2 planks; glued ,clamped , and fastened. Next day pad again and add number 3 . This process is a foolproof method for a one off (how I did my boat ). Again : this gives you a chance to adjust the sheer and plank shapes in 3 dimensions .

There's one further option with this method. With the boat turned right side up and the sheer plank dry fit go to the stern and twist the end of the plank as if the boat had a bit of tumble home there .If you like it , cut the required flat in the transom to make it so . I did this on my boat (not the Oysterman), following a suggestion on the plans . You might choose to relieve the aftermost mold a bit as well . This is done to the builder's eye. It's fun to work this little bit of extra shape in the boat compared to plain flat sided construction .
    Last edited by Bill Perkins; 10-07-2009 at 03:42 PM.
    The creation of beauty is more satisfying and joyous than mere possession.

John Gardner

Bill,
    Wonderful description! Thanks. I've got a lot to think about...
    R
    -- Harry Middleton