Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from Norway, introducing myself & my boat

Default Hello from Norway, introducing myself & my boat

Hello fellow woodenboaters, I'm new here, and wanted to introduce myself and my boat restoration project.

My name is Kim, I'm 37 yrs of age, and currently restoring a 43 year old twin motor cruiser named Champagne that's been in the family ownership since 1981.

She's designed by Furuholmen & Scheen in Oslo, Norway, and built by the Brødrene Lervik Yard in Soon, Norway, she is 32ft, 4.5 tons.

Brgds

Kim

Default Re: Hello from Norway, introducing myself & my boat

Welcome - and thanks for the picture of a very lovely boat, many people (myself included) will be jealous!
    How much in involved in the restoration?
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Welcome aboard, Kim; your boat is gorgeous!

Champagne is really nice, and I don't always say that about boats with engines.

Thank you Uncle Duke, htom and Yeadon for the warm welcome!

The restoration (I thought) was going to consist of replacing the lower board on the transom that I knew had rot in it after she started seeping in seawater at the end of the season 2007, and I thought it was time to consider replacing the white canvas (vinyl) roofs. As with most projects, once you start digging, there is always some more dirt underneath the surface.

Inspection after removing the lower boards showed that there was some sort of galvanic or dry rot wear from the inside of the starborad rearest oak main rib[edit: frame I suppose is a more correct word for this].(looked sound, sounded hollow when tapped, and didn't have any structural integrety left and felt rubbery. The centerline transom [frame] rib was deattached from the keel. We therefore had to replace the rear ribs and redo the whole transom. All the aft hull planking was sound.

Above you see the transom from the inside with new [frame] ribs and new knees that wasnt there to increase the strenght in the stern of the boat.

I had to re-engine Champagne back in 1997 when my Gray Marine 109's completely died after 31 years of salt water cooling. At the yard I used then, they took the exhaust out through the sides, and to facilitate for the larger exhaust ports that the Yanmar diesels needed, the yard guys cut over two secondary (smaller) ribs to get the exhaustpipes attached, I never saw that work done because the exhaust was behind the fuel tanks out of sight. After some thought we decided to go for a transom exhaust exit and replaced the ribs and parts of the boards that the exhaust had gone through.

more to come..

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 04-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Now with the transom sound again we started working our way forward, the rear deck (honduras) had a small list [toerail] on it, that soaked water as well as the flush mounted spillwater cups in the side decks were causing trouble, so that had to be removed, then we took off the cockpit to get full access to the damage from the vinyl-canvas roofs.

and here water was seeping out of rotten mahogany even after a year indoors after removing the vinyl.
    I tought the cabin sides were sound.. unfortunately that was not the case..

sad to throw away so much mahogany, but it wasn't sound.

The cockpit\doghouse wasn't in a perticular good shape either.

more to come..

brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 04-22-2010 at 03:37 PM.

Wow, looks like a very impressive boat, and equally thorough rehab. By all means keep posting your progress, it seems like you are either very busy or have quite a team helping you.

good luck with the project, again, very beautiful lines.

Eric

Champagne is really nice, and I don't always say that about boats with engines.
    I 2nd that
    Trump, a man who can't hold a coherent thought till the end of the sentence.

A couple more pictures showing more of the work done to the transom and how far we decided to go before rebuilding it.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 04:56 AM.

Bright, clean shop space, clean repairs and a lovely boat. Thanks for the lovely photos and you'll never get me to admit I am even in the slightest way,jealous! Never

Cheers and welcome!

Peter
    Do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,do it,now!
    J.Lennon

This boat was built with ten thumbs.No fingers were harmed in anyway.

Going back up on deck, here we have taken off the white vinyl, and could save most of the ply roof. Ply bits in place between the cabin front windows and the first deck(roof) beam to keep the angle of the front windows correct without movement. Mounting a new exterior cabin side plank, the old ones after dismantling it had seen too much freshwater penetration to make 100% sure they would keep the water out so these were replaced on both sides.

On the fordeck, after dismantling the decklist (breasthook?) and finding some rot, I was crossing my fingers prior to removing the green vinyl decks.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Trying again to get the pictures visible

Beautiful boat, Kim...and I rarely say that about stinkpots.....
    Wakan Tanka Kici Un
    ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
    Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
    Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
    "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

The cabinroof ply that contained some rot from freshwater seeping underneath the vinyl, we concluded it was enough to replace the ply from front till just over the first deckbeam since the rest was in mint condition.

At this point I took the decision to stray from originality in regards to the vinyl roofs and aimed for making epoxy & fiberglass roofs. Originality is very important for me but I drew the conclusion that the vinyl had been leaking for atleast 30 years based upon how rotten some of the boards and ply was. And I did not want to go through with having to do this all over again within my lifetime.

Here you see the portion of the old cabinroof front that we cut out laying upside down and the planks that was removed from the cabin sides.

Brgds Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 05:08 AM. Reason: adding new link to the picture

I am struggling to see the pictures on my own posts from earlier today, I don't know if its my isp, firewall or picasa, where I have stored the pictures, would be good if one of you could give me a headsup if you are seeing these pictures or if they are missing.

Best regards

Kim

I don´t see your pics of today, either

Ok, Timo, thank you for responding.

I will try to find a more stable place to store my pictures, sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    I think I have sorted the hosting of the pictures out now, was probably caused by sharing limitations.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Then we moved on to scraping her clean underneath.
    She has never had that done to her during the years we have owned the boat, and most likely this had not been done by the two previous owners since new.

I was surprised of finding absolutely no rot in the planking underneath.

The oak keel bend (stem) on the other hand..

..was starting to delaminate and showed signs of having been on ground in the early days. It was time to go back to check the logbooks from before our ownership. I found an entry in 1968 from the first owner, when she had been taken ashore to inspect and repair a minor grounding during summer holidays.

We decided to postpone the keel inspection & repair to a later date nearer the end of the project. Gave her a few coats of lead primer on the boards.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 06-14-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Absolutely fascinating - thank you for such a complete description!
    Sometimes you've gotta leave the kibble out where the slow dogs can get some....
    ... Roy Blount, Jr.

Continued with working to complete the ply cabin roof and cabin front and sides, here as well I ended up taking an alternative route instead of staying original, the stainless steel L-lists that held the windows in place on Champagne, after investigation, had been the main cause for why we had to change so much of the wood on the cabinsides and the cockpit.
    Through the screwholes and corners of the lists, a perfect way in for the freshwater (rain) to attack the mahogany over time.

With 1 inch thick cabin planks, the windows were 3\4th recessed into the width of the boards leaving very little material on the inside to hold the windows in place in case of a 90 degree angle on the window pressure of some sort (water over deck, knee into window, etc) so given there was a better alternative that would give 100% watertight window frames over time as well as a stronger cabin with a small visual change to the boat, that was a compromise I was willing to take.

The change would be that I needed to use 1inch lower windows by adding an inch on top on the cabinsides to give the top board enough material to facilitate for the window as well as the window list (flat instead of L)

This is the window listinng system I have landed on using [picture is not of my boat but it will be very similar]

New cabin sides prepared for 1" lower windows.

Cabin roof front rebuilt and screwholes epoxied, ready for sanding.

Brgds

Kim

Ok, back to the foredeck, the honduras dollboards (side decks) had been suffering from freshwater intrusion. Here up north we have pretty cold winters so any freshwater standing in the wood or underneath the varnish will freeze unless you are so fortunate as to be able to store the boat above freezing temperature indoors, I have not been that fortunate while owning this boat until now during restoration. The frost + water inbetween the deck and the toerail as well as between the deck and the fenderlist was obvious when we took of the toerail and saw the water had expanded while freezing and ripping the gluing and lamination of some of the wood.

It was time to burn off some paint on the hull to see what caused the water intrusion on the dollboard.. I had my thoughts after having white paint chipping off the bow in the spring after the winter storage..

As I feared the the top 2 inches of the planking was soft..

Was pretty lucky that none of the hidden structural beams had been infected with this rot.

Above you see new honduras been replaced and sanded fair.

Now back up on deck, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't want to have anything more to do with vinyl decking so I decided on replacing all the green parts with teak, the only other alternative I saw was laquered oregon pine decking , but this method was more common for boats that was constructed pre 1960, and from a safety perspective, I want to have a fore and aft deck thats not as slippery as the side decks (laquered mahogany)

Was able to save much of the dollboards by cutting out the rot and replacing the outer part of them. Can be seen from the colour difference on the picture below.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 06-14-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Magnificent boat and an equally impressive job !.

I have a 34 ft, 1962 twin-engined motor cruiser that is in the final stages of preparation prior to being re-launched following a near complete restoration over a 5-year period ( takes an awful lot of time to do things the 'right way' which is as good a justification as any, specially if some beer was drunk in the recess ).

The yard that built this boat had its beginnings manufacturing (wooden) bus coachwork over Volvo chassis and engines.

The 80+ (years old) former owner confirmed that my boat was one of their first 'luxury cruisers', built to a Scandanavian design (not Chris Craft, no!), under pressure from their overseas partners , who were eager to venture out into the boat business, following the resounding successs of the bus business.

More of the almost complete foredeck

and another picture of the reparation of the hullplanking in the bow

It was time to move aft to the transom again and give it a couple of layers of Rylard to have something to motivate during the project..

Brgds

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Magnificent boat and an equally impressive job !.

I have a 34 ft, 1962 twin-engined motor cruiser that is in the final stages of preparation prior to being re-launched following a near complete restoration over a 5-year period

Sounds like you have had your hands full for the last 5 yrs, do you have any pictures of her? I would love to see them!

Brgds
    Kim

Champagne/Kim , I do not currently avail of a photo-hosting site on the web> However should you PM me and send me your email, I´´ll be glad to forward some pictures.

Ok, since the last picture was from the transom lets move up to the rear deck.

Here we ended up doing a diagonal cut of the dollboards to replace the rot. as with the foredeck, I thought it would look best if we used same type of teak deck in the inlay as we did in the bow.

Moving forward,

Building new structural beams for the cockpit sides, slightly sturdier buildt to hinder flexing (using the cockpit window frame to hold on to everytime one goes up or down on deck in a hurry.

Cockpit sides completed prior to sanding.

Time to finish the cabin roof, epoxy, fiberglass and a couple of strokes of paint.

Best regards
    Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 04:18 PM.

almost finished inside the cabins and ceiling.

Finished lead-priming the bilge.

Further the focus is to complete the forefoot (oak keel bend) work in the bow, we used a lot of time to find the correct piece of oak for it, hopeful we will complete this by the end of this month.

Then we will start on the cockpit\doghouse..

Brgds

Kim

Parallel to the woodwork there is an almost separate project with planning/designing the electronics and mechanical changes I want to have completed before launching Champagne.

Up till now the refridgerator have been a 150 liter icebox, its been working perfectly, just add some ice and off you go, no electricity needed. Unfortunately getting hold of ice during summer holidays down the southern coast of Norway and western coast of Sweden is becomming more and more difficult, I therefore decided to rebuild the old icebox into a fridge using a compressor. This will demand more Ah's aboard, I will come back to that later.

The yanmar engines installed back in 1996 came with some ugly plastic instruments that i took out of their even uglier casing and placed them on a leatherette covered plywood plate very hastily done to be able to do the seatrials back then before we were iced in.

I have always wanted to redo the dashboard, but never found time to do it all over again. I thought now with hopes to get Champagne up to mint condition, the Japanese signs on the dash would be thorns in my eyes, so I had to do something!

So thinking what about using an engine turned backplate with some nice instruments that would look awesome with mahogany as contrast.. something like this dash:

Got hold of the back plates from a gentleman in Fairbury, Nebraska http://www.fpmmetals.com

Then I found these guys: www.classicinstruments.com and I ordered a set of the instruments I needed to replace the yanmar ones, one of them look like this:

they were kind enough to wind the hour counters to the correct amount per engine prior to delivery so I could continue writing up engine hours in the logbook once we start using her again.

Fiddling abit with the backplate and some printouts of pictures of almost similar instruments I came up with this look:

Unfortunately the Ampere meters can only handle 60A and my alternators are rated at 80A, so I will not install these two smaller gauges.

Playing in photoshop I ended with this result (discard the vhf in front, its not going to be placed there):

The idea of the flat mahogany plate infront of the instruments is that it is removable. Underneath it its a rearhinged mahogany plate holding the electronics. (chartplotter & autopilot) that should be possible to use at an angle once at sea and lay horizontal with a lid while in harbour or at anchor.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 08-20-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Trial mounting the new winch on the foredeck, still missing the toe rail

Excuse the poor light on these pictures

Got hold of bronze cast reproductions of transom letters that was typically used here in the 60'ies.

Brgds

Kim
    Last edited by Champagne; 06-03-2010 at 05:43 AM.

I also never say this about stinkpots. Lovely boat, great work, excellent job. Well done mate & well worth the effort.
    Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Kim, this is a simply stunning thread. You're showing us all how well things can - and probably should - be done. The work and your record of it are both marvelous.

- Norm

Yes indeed. Great details on a very worthy boat.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Excellent! A very thoughtful restoration of a very pretty boat. A toast to Champagne.

Kim,

Welcome to the forum! And thank you so much for posting the photos of your lovely boat. It's plain to see that you love her very much; all the work looks absolutely first-rate.

A toast to Champagne.
    But what shall we drink?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blight View Post
    But what shall we drink?
    Aquavit?

I too, as a rule, dislike motor boats: But what do they say about rules and breaking them? Magnificent boat and a magnificent restore! I'm eagerly looking forward to your next instalment.

Cheers!
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93