Thread: Seeking sails for 14' Rhodes Bantam

Default Seeking sails for 14' Rhodes Bantam

My name is Dr. James McCluskey and I am curator of the Great Lakes Small Boat Sailing Museum in Big Rapids, Michigan. We are in the process of restoring a 14' Rhodes Bantam mahogany sailboat and we need sails for her. We prefer at least a main, and preferably a main & jib. A spinnaker would also be welcomed. We will pay any reasonable price, and in any condition.

We are also seeking assistance in securing grants to help us purchase the land and construct a pole building to keep some of our valuable exhibits out of the severe Michigan weather. Many of our wooden boat exhibits are operational and include a 30 foot class X experimental wooden scow, a class "C" scow, a Shark Catamaran, a 1943 wooden lightning, the Rhodes Bantam, a 14' Blue Jay and several others. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dr. James McCluskey, curator
    email: one_great_dad1@hotmail.com
    cell: 325-203-2525

Default Re: Seeking sails for 14' Rhodes Bantam

Out of date but a place to start?

Rhodes Bantam Class Association(RBCA)

Address: Address unknown. Ithaca, NY 14850 USA
    Contact Name: Burlitch, Kathy
    Phone: (607) 539-7316

Founded: 1947

Description: Owners of Rhodes Bantam sailboats and other interested individuals. Promotes the sailing and racing of Rhodes Bantam sailboats and enthusiasm in the sport of sailing. Presently inactive
    Conventions / Meetings: annual International Championship Regatta meeting - usually first week of August.
    "When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart."

-W. B. Yeats

Thank you for the suggestion. I spoke with her husband Jim and they don't have any leads on used sails. They suggested we have new sails made by Rowland Sailmakers. We are trying to keep the boat as original as possible for exhibit in the museum, so we will continue to try to find someone with a used set of sails. Thanks again for the tip!

Perhpas someone who reads this will have an extra set of sails from an old boat or from one which was lost or destroyed.

Thank you for your kindness!

Jim

Bantams appear from time to time on eBay, like these. Set up a search that would notify you by e-mail when they do.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170362031717

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-...QQptZSailboats
    Last edited by rbgarr; 07-24-2009 at 02:14 PM.
    "When I was a boy with never a crack in my heart."

-W. B. Yeats

Dr. McCluskey,

I am the purchaser of a Rhodes Bantam 14' on eBay recently that coincidentally has two sets of sails (including spinnakers). I would be willing to discuss parting with one set. I also contacted you via the sailing museum email pursuant to your request through the seller.

Ethan
    “Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up.”
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by etrain View Post
    Dr. McCluskey,

I am the purchaser of a Rhodes Bantam 14' on eBay recently that coincidentally has two sets of sails (including spinnakers). I would be willing to discuss parting with one set. I also contacted you via the sailing museum email pursuant to your request through the seller.

Ethan
    I don't know if you still have those sails, but if you do, I'd love to purchase them.
    Email me at aiona at byuwek dot net

Anacortes, WA