Thread: Packing list for remote boat camping...

Default Packing list for remote boat camping...

This is a thread for remote location camping trips where little to no facilities are available...

In this case, we're headed 70 miles north from Sitka Alaska, in an outboard powered skiff. The destination is a cabin with bunks for beds, no mattresses provided. Also wood stove/heater with no guarantee of firewood. That is all.

There will be an outhouse for those critical needs. I will admit to taking appropriate toilet paper/spray disinfectant/incense.

No other facilities provided.

This list is for 2+ adults, and 1+ kids.

This list is not specific to a wood boat, but should appy to many of us explorers.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Packing list for remote boat camping...

I'll start.

I would think that you would like to bring kind of stove. We have used a Whisperlite backpacker's stove, but a regular Coleman gas or propane burner is a lot easier to use. I would suggest that rather than the minimalist design if you have the space and can carry the additional weight.

vs

The duration of your trip is a consideration, too. A weekend--two weeks--longer?

Bring a Coleman lantern, too.
    Steve Martinsen

Brian,
    My neck of the woods.

Start with a 12 gauge and a bunch of bean bags, plus a handful of slugs if things get really out of hand.

Handheld VHF and PLB. Don't rely on your cell for a distress call. Flares, smoke bomb, laser flare, several LED flashlights. First aid kit. PFDs, float coats preferred.

Polypro and/or wool clothing. Leave the cotton home.

Do I need to mention rain gear? Probably not.

5-gallon jug of town water. Don't drink from the stream with the rotting salmon carcasses.

2 pounds of Highliner coffee, grinder (hand), filters, cone, mugs, pot.

Thats all you need.

What is the temperature of the river water? Glacial meltwater of has it had time to warm up?

Waterproof bags (kayak type) for all kit.

Couple of shear pins for the outboard

(Couple of) paddles

Mosquito netting can be rather handy.

Whilst I agree with Terry about taking water, do pack some sterilising tablets.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

beer

ice

okay... guns, beer, ice... add a little fishing gear and I think you're there dude.

Is this skiff large enough so that this trip is more like car camping, or small enough so that it is more like canoe camping?

We do both with two adults and two kids, so I have lists for both, but there is a lot of overlap, of course.

Brian

If you have the space, carry rolled furniture foam for the mattresses, as air mattresses are wonderful heat exchangers...exchanging heat for cold all night long.

Water filter or purification system? Lots more wool soxs than you think you'll need, extra footware. Mosquito netting hats, bug repellant that you KNOW won't cause skin reactions on the kids.

Heavy (as thick as possible) leaf bags and heavy rubber bands to seal same. Use inside canvas/nylon duffels, daypacks, even drybags if kids will be accessing stuff in the rain.
    Last edited by Thorne; 07-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    Heavy (as thick as possible) leaf bags and heavy rubber bands to seal same. Use inside canvas/nylon duffels, daypacks, even drybags if kids will be accessing stuff in the rain.
    Trash compactor bags work well. They seem to be the toughest I can find short of an actual drybag. Stuff that I really don't want getting wet, like sleeping bag and one set of warm cloths, goes in a compactor bag AND a drybag.

If you do need ice and drinking water you can freeze some up in plastic jugs. I prefer the jugs with screw on lids. Leave a little air space.

LED headlamps. Candles are nice in a cabin. We usually bring cards, cribbage board, sometimes a jigsaw puzzle, and reading material for the potential rainy days. Most of the Forest Service cabins around here have some of that kind stuff that people leave behind.
    Last edited by J P; 07-23-2009 at 11:23 AM.

essentials or luxuries...??

cheap cig lighters by the handful...
    a serious machete/katana or even a small hatchet ,doubles as a hammer
    towels (really)
    fishing stuff
    dried fruit and nuts
    gas refills that are universal...light , blowtorch, one ring cooker..
    cordage...from needle and thread to lumps of small chain if you can,
    as spike milligan said..
    String is thin rope is thicker
    rope is strong but string is quicker.
    a big magnet for finding shackle pins in the dark , pliers overboard etc,
    spare specs if you need them, x three...

Anything you've ever taken the last three or four times and not used, leave behind
    Don't get into the just in case mentallity

All the stuff I take and never use, but still take it next time.?..endless changes of clothing socks etc Anything you think of as 'just in case.'.. leave it behind unless you really do have space for it

ipod and speakers

1 day or 1 year?

Stuff to keep you fed. Stuff to keep you warm. Stuff to get you rescued.

I would suggest planning on all the things you would need without the cabin. Might get stranded on the shore for a few days.

I'd second TerryLL's rec. of a 12 guage - for each adult member of the trip - and forget the beanbag loads. Heavy solid slugs - I've never had a run in with Uncle Ephraim but in those areas, they may look upon people as slow running food, so I'm told. Instant pancake mix, the kind that doesn't need eggs lotsa bacon/sausage for the energy and because it's traditional. Bacon grease fries fish well, too. Cooking oil, starch staples like flour and 'taters, easy to keep fruit. Freeze dried stuff? Bowsaw for firewood, axe for splitting. Adult wetwipes makes yer bum a LOT happier than TP alone. More gas than you think you'll need, my lantern and stove can both run off unleaded. Rent a satellite phone, it's cheap insurance - ran us about 200 for 13 days last fall and was worth it. Extra cheap cameras - throw away or digital, because we'll all want to see the pictures!

tequila/limes/salt

For what its worth, here is my complete camping checklist. Some of the items on here clearly will not apply to this sort of trip, but I present this as a pretty good rundown of the things to at least consider. The three things this list does not cover very well are food, which I handle separately, the first aid kit, which I treat as a "unit," and my "repair kit," which fits in a small bag and includes a range of supplies for repairing camping gear and similar stuff. Also, since most of my outdoors travel these days is either on land or canoe or kayak in fresh water, I don't really touch on the things you would bring for salt water trips in a somewhat larger craft, such as a hand-bearing compass, flares, etc.

Clothing
    Bandana
    Boots, hiking / rubber / Sorrels / canoeing
    Sneakers, slippers
    Water shoes
    Bug head nets, bug gloves
    Gaiters
    Hat, balaclava, mittens, scarf, neck warmer
    Pants, wool / canoe / regular
    Belt
    Rain gear, coat, pants, hat
    Shirts, wool / regular / UV
    Sleeping garments, warm / cold weather
    Socks, wool / poly
    Sun hat
    Sweater, parka
    Vest, down / fleece
    Swimsuit, towel
    Underwear, thermals

Toiletries
    First Aid Kit
    Bug Repellent
    Chapstick
    Hair brush, shampoo, conditioner
    Hand Cleaner
    Shaving supplies
    Sunglasses
    Sunscreen
    Lip protection

Toilet paper, Spade
    Tooth brushes, floss, toothpaste

Cooking Equipment
    Cook kit
    Dishwashing equipment
    Cooking utensils
    Cooking knife
    Stove Fuel
    Ice chest
    Lantern
    Matches
    Stove
    Utensils
    Water bottles, jug
    Water Filter
    Water Purification tablets

Camping Gear
    Packs
    Sleeping bags
    Sleeping pads
    Tent
    Dry Bags

Other
    Flashlights, headlamp
    Binoculars
    Candle lantern
    Camera, film, tripod
    Compass
    Duct tape
    Life jackets
    Map/Charts
    Notebook
    Paddles
    Pencils and pens
    Pocketknife/Leatherman
    canoeing Pole
    Rope / String
    Skis, poles, & boots
    Skates
    Icdubar (ice claws)
    Ice thickness testing poles
    Tarp / ground cloth
    Garbage bags, Ziplock bags
    Wetsuit

Forget the shotgun, it's a waste of space. Make bear caches, keep food smells to a minimum and keep em separate from your sleeping arraignments, move around in groups whenever possible, make enough noise that a bear can hear you approaching and pack out your trash. Don't use incense in the outhouse, that can attract bears, and dumping food waste in it definitely will. I've seen solid timber outhouses torn to matchsticks because some knumbskull dumped spaghetti in it.

Avoidance is the ticket. If you're in a situation where you need a gun to protect yourself from a bear, chances are you put yourself in it. Carrying a gun is a crutch for those who don't practice responsible camping. Bears shouldn't suffer for our mistakes.

I'd bring some hand sanitizer like purell. Good for after you use the facilities.

As for water purifiers, you can get bottles of iodine crystals that you fill with water. The iodine saturates the water and you use it in lieu of tablets. They're good for thousands of litres of water.

Sleeping bag liners are pretty good. Adds temp capacity to the bag, and keeps em cleaner.

Leave an itinerary with several friends, and a date at which they should try to contact you before reporting you missing. Don't deviate from it. It can save your life.

Some excellent suggestions!

I'll be packing tonight. Forgot to add it's just for 2 nights.

Oh, the ol'Winchester M70 in 416 Taylor will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Oh, the ol'Winchester M70 in 416 Taylor will be there.
    Not a pepper spray guy then?

RE. first aid kits. So many commercial kits seem to have too much "fluff" -- lots of packaging and little wipes and swipes, ointments, etc. -- with little of what's needed for major injuries like bone fractures and big flesh wounds. One thing I've added to my kit, in addition to ample amounts of duct tape, is a SAM splint. Another is plenty of large butterfly bandages. Thought about a suture kit but have'nt pursued that any further yet. Figure most things can probably get held together with the above until reaching medical services. I do have a buddy that stitched himself up once with a large sewing needle and dental floss and no local anasthesia. He didn't want to bail out of his backcountry hunting trip for a "little" flesh wound. Tough, stuborn, or stupid, I don't know, but he does have a scar to prove it. That's the kind of situation where I could see a suture kit maybe being useful ... and a whole lot a wiskey.

Have a great trip!

any above plus... Duct tape, a sharp leatherman and a large box of waterproof matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    any above plus... Duct tape, a sharp leatherman and a large box of waterproof matches.
    I second these three suggestions. You can make nearly anything out of duct tape and a leatherman.

Don't forget your iPhone, so you can post from the wilderness.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Since you're bringing your pea shooter you can scratch the 12-gauge from your list.

Camera? Anyone mention the camera?

We must have pics.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Geez, three threads on camping supplies, and no one's put condoms on the list?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Geez, three threads on camping supplies, and no one's put condoms on the list?
    It's summer. You only need condoms for your rifle muzzle in the winter.

Brian, I may have mis-read your posting, but 70 miles by outboard powered skiff is quite a journey, so I focussed on the river side of the problem not staying in the shelter hut.

Will you be doing 70 miles in one go, or breaking the journey and camping en route? I realise you have good daylight.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    \Thought about a suture kit but have'nt pursued that any further yet. Figure most things can probably get held together with the above until reaching medical services. I do have a buddy that stitched himself up once with a large sewing needle and dental floss and no local anasthesia. He didn't want to bail out of his backcountry hunting trip for a "little" flesh wound. Tough, stuborn, or stupid, I don't know, but he does have a scar to prove it. That's the kind of situation where I could see a suture kit maybe being useful ... and a whole lot a wiskey.
    In discussing this issue with a doctor the point came up that it is pretty much guaranteed that if you try to suture a wound in the backcountry the wound will be infected. You just can't hope to clean the wound well enough in the backcountry to prevent infection. Sometimes your body will successfully fight off the infection, sometimes it will lead to gangrene, which can easily be fatal. Once established, gangren moves with frightening rapidity and if you wait until it is clear there is a problem there may well not be enough time left to evacute to medical care in time to stave off death. I was told that it is safer to clean the wound as best you can, dress the wound with bandages, change the bandages regularly, but DO NOT attempt to bind or stitch the wound closed (i.e., avoid big butterfly bandages too). You will probably end up with an ugly scar but you are much less likely to die.

Please note that I am not a doctor so the above is just "hearsay." If you really might encounter this sort of situation you should take a wilderness first responder course and get proper training.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Brian, I may have mis-read your posting, but 70 miles by outboard powered skiff is quite a journey, so I focussed on the river side of the problem not staying in the shelter hut.
    Knowing a bit about the typical "skiff" up there I would guess this is a "skiff" capable of getting up on a plane and doing 20 knots or more, so the 70 mile trip is probably only a matter of a few hours, or that would be my guess anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hooke View Post

Hair brush,

Shaving supplies
    Having seen your visage here on WBF via photos I do question why you'd have these items on your camping equipment list

Did anyone mention whiskey?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hooke View Post
    In discussing this issue with a doctor the point came up that it is pretty much guaranteed that if you try to suture a wound in the backcountry the wound will be infected. You just can't hope to clean the wound well enough in the backcountry to prevent infection. Sometimes your body will successfully fight off the infection, sometimes it will lead to gangrene, which can easily be fatal. Once established, gangren moves with frightening rapidity and if you wait until it is clear there is a problem there may well not be enough time left to evacute to medical care in time to stave off death. I was told that it is safer to clean the wound as best you can, dress the wound with bandages, change the bandages regularly, but DO NOT attempt to bind or stitch the wound closed (i.e., avoid big butterfly bandages too). You will probably end up with an ugly scar but you are much less likely to die.

Please note that I am not a doctor so the above is just "hearsay." If you really might encounter this sort of situation you should take a wilderness first responder course and get proper training.
    Thanks Bruce, I’m glad you posted that. I’m not a doctor either and certainly don’t intend to imply any medical advice.
    I also second your recommendation to get proper training. Spot on.

I hesitate to write anything about these kinds of things because of the time it takes to spell out all the details, qualifiers, disclaimers etc. In fact, I started writing about an experience I had that related to the SAM splint and lots of duct tape but decided to delete it. I could see that I was either going have to write a clear and careful treatise on the incident or be prepared for several days of discussion.

The story about my tough, stubborn, (and did I say stupid?) buddy, while true, was meant for entertainment purposes only, and I should have made that clear.
    DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
    IF YOU ARE INJURED SEEK PROFFESSIONAL MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. Not the WBF.

Point is, check your kit. Be Prepared.

Are we still working on Brian’s packing list, hasn't he left already?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Did anyone mention whiskey?
    Yes, no. "Wiskey" what the H is that?

Whiskey, whisky ... hmm, interesting ... spell chucker doesn't like it without an "e".

Yes, no. "Wiskey" what the H is that?

Whiskey, whisky ... hmm, interesting ... spell chucker doesn't like it without an "e".
    You got a problem with that spelling? Take it up with Funk and Wagnall. Or these guys ,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Whiskey%20

Main Entry:whis·key Variant(s)r whis·ky \ˈhwis-kē, ˈwis-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural whiskeys or whiskiesEtymology:Irish uisce beatha & Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha, literally, water of lifeDate:17151 : a liquor distilled from fermented wort (as that obtained from rye, corn, or barley mash) 2 : a drink of whiskey

You got a problem with that spelling?
    Nah, e or no e is fine by me, just thought it was interesting how the spell check delt with it.
    The "problem" is the way I spelldidit in post #19 without an "h".

after a few shots of the stuff most of my friends call it wiky

but i digress, for a river camping trip there should be some bourbon on the boat, preferably from kentucky...

Correction here guys. There is no river involved. Brian is up in the SE Alaska island wilderness. Thousands of islands, lots of tricky tidal currents, big tides, lots of shallow bays, towering cedars and spruce. I have a pretty good idea which cabin he is headed for, and I am way jealous of his little adventure. Pics will only make it worse. That's beyond god's country. He should be seeing coastal brown bears, lots of deer on the beach, sea otters, humpback and Minke wales. I won't even tell you about the fishing, you wouldn't believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    I won't even tell you about the fishing, you wouldn't believe me.
    grumble... mutter... cuss...

but... Brian's not even a fisherman he's a hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    grumble... mutter... cuss...

but... Brian's not even a fisherman he's a hunter!
    Maybe so, but this time of the year there are so many salmon jumping that it's not uncommon for one to land in your boat as you're speeding along. Pinks mostly but an occasional coho. Of course, it there's a stream near the cabin he'll be able to simply reach in and grab one. Pink, chum, coho, sockeye, king. Take your pick.

Originally Posted by Bruce Hooke

Hair brush,

Shaving supplies
    Having seen your visage here on WBF via photos I do question why you'd have these items on your camping equipment list
    Now I do brush my hair most mornings but it is not good at stay brushed. The shaving supplies on the other hand...well let's just say I haven't gone through and removed unnecessary stuff from the list recently!

Thanks Bruce, I’m glad you posted that. I’m not a doctor either and certainly don’t intend to imply any medical advice.
    I also second your recommendation to get proper training. Spot on.

I hesitate to write anything about these kinds of things because of the time it takes to spell out all the details, qualifiers, disclaimers etc. In fact, I started writing about an experience I had that related to the SAM splint and lots of duct tape but decided to delete it. I could see that I was either going have to write a clear and careful treatise on the incident or be prepared for several days of discussion.

The story about my tough, stubborn, (and did I say stupid?) buddy, while true, was meant for entertainment purposes only, and I should have made that clear.
    DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
    IF YOU ARE INJURED SEEK PROFFESSIONAL MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY. Not the WBF.

Point is, check your kit. Be Prepared.
    Thanks JP.

It can also be a little hard to find a doctor who understands backcountry medicine...many doctors don't seem to understand that someone might be hours or days from medical care, which can radically change the picture, as I expect you know if you've dealt with things like SAM splints!

I can recommend the courses taught by SOLO. http://www.soloschools.com/

Don't forget your flip flops.

I've rented allot of cabins in AK mostly in Prince William Sound, Seward, Homer etc. Actually for 15 years I camped every weekend from May to Oct.

A shotgun is good but bulky. I prefer bear spray for Brown Bears and a 44 Mag for Black Bears. Bear spray is effective 98% of the time and firearms only 50% according to a study. Plus if you kill a bear you have to skin it. A sling shot or firecrackers are good for problem bears that won't go away. I store my food in the cabin with me. No problems yet but I have had bears on the porch.

To add to everyone's list I'd always bring a light stick you break in half for every night as a night light. (In the Fall and Winter only). Those cabins are dark so a lantern can really cheer things up.

If kayaking I pump water. If boating I bring enough water. I hate pumping. Bring two pair of raingear. At least one should be non-breathable.

Forget freeze dried food. Bring real food and a small grill for the campfire or a Dutch Oven. It will be the highlight of the trip. Eating a good meal around a campfire on the beach will be what you remember most.

I like to rig my boat with a clothesline-anchor-pulley system to keep the boat from going dry. I have instructions on my website http://www.neilmoomey.com/trips as well as photos of trips I've done.

You got a problem with that spelling? Take it up with Funk and Wagnall. Or these guys ,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Whiskey%20

Main Entry:whis·key Variant(s)r whis·ky \ˈhwis-kē, ˈwis-\ Function:noun Inflected Form(s):plural whiskeys or whiskiesEtymology:Irish uisce beatha & Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha, literally, water of lifeDate:17151 : a liquor distilled from fermented wort (as that obtained from rye, corn, or barley mash) 2 : a drink of whiskey
    The spelling changes depending on what country it's from. Generally Irish and American varieties are spelt Whiskey, and most others are spelt Whisky.

This is a thread for remote location camping trips where little to no facilities are available...

In this case, we're headed 70 miles north from Sitka Alaska, in an outboard powered skiff. The destination is a cabin with bunks for beds, no mattresses provided. Also wood stove/heater with no guarantee of firewood. That is all.

There will be an outhouse for those critical needs. I will admit to taking appropriate toilet paper/spray disinfectant/incense.

No other facilities provided.

This list is for 2+ adults, and 1+ kids.

This list is not specific to a wood boat, but should appy to many of us explorers.

Thoughts?
    for starters

"The Ten Essentials"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_essentials

Also see: www.nols.edu

Medical: look up Adventure Medical Kits. (Via NOLS)

Also see the Wilderness Medicine Field Guide which you can fit into your kit.

Food: NOLS has a great little book on camp cooking- Back Country Nutrition- that is an eye opener as to the value of real fresh food on trips instead of the processed crap. Turns out it is much easier and better for you doing it the "old way".

Also see NOLS for info on medical stuff through their Wilderness Medical Institute.
    Last edited by Bob Triggs; 07-27-2009 at 07:15 PM.
    Fly Fishing Washington's Olympic Peninsula
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Axe , bowsaw and/or a chainsaw, chain oil and mixed saw fuel.
    We make handy dandy firelighters for damp/wet wood . Fill the egg compartments of cardboard paper egg cartons with molten wax, stick in a wick.
    Presto . Break out each "candle"as necessary , use ONLY for campfires. Cut away a small trough in the candle for traces of molten wax to run away from the wick.

Well we're back, and naturally we took way too much stuff.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we took everything listed here.

Neil, that middle picture looks very familiar.

Neil, that middle picture looks very familiar.
    If theres even number, like 4, as in 4 pictures, which one is the middle

Good trip I take it, your in peak forum form.

Oops, make that #2.

I'll post some pics of the trip soon. It was overcast and rainy, so there isn't much to share.

Pictures in the Bilge due to lack of wood content...

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100294