X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delecta
    Banned
    • Sep 2007

Diesel Injection pump 3cyl Ford

I have a Ford tractor that got a bunch of water in the tank and it filled the injection pump. I removed the pump and injectors and sent them out to be checked and overhauled if needed.

I got the pump and Injs. back and re-installed. Now the tractor just seems to be firing on one cylinder and I only say fire because I see some smoke coming out but no actual firing.

This is a Lucas Cav pump and it is keyed to the drive gear, is it possible that I need to turn the pump shaft 360 degrees or 720? I sent the pump out a number of years ago and when it returned I re-installed and it fired right up after ether, did I just get lucky that time?

There was some ether involved before the pump was sent out, any chance a rocker arm was thrown off? I've had a miserable time getting this thing started after a fuel filter change so it isn't the first time it's had a little ether, never before have I had this problem.

On a crawler loader I have some guy spent 5 mins pushing the ether aid button before I was summonsed to start the beast. I wasn't told until after she fired what had happened with no ill effect.

The tractor has 135 hours on it.

Thanks in advance
  • Bob Smalser
    • Jun 2003

Re: Diesel Injection pump 3cyl Ford

Sure sounds like timing. But if you didn't disconnect and blow out all the fuel lines between tank, 1st-stage fuel pump and points north, residual water in them would cause similar misfiring from debris clogging the orfices. (Which means the injectors need to be cleaned again.) Pull the injector farthest from the pump and check for water and crud.

When you removed the pump are you sure you didn't disturb the timing gear it meshed with, or turned the engine over while the pump was removed? It's been several years since I removed one, but I remember punching marks in both gear and housing on both the pump and its timing gear housing to insure the cylinders internal to the pump were timed with the engine cylinders.

As finding TDC and starting from scratch isn't so easy on a diesel (on my Case crawler I had to remove the armor and radiator to clean and see the marks on the front pulley, and the belly pan would have had to come off to access the flywheel port if the marks were there.), you may have to call in a mobile diesel service to help.

Engines generally provide plenty of warning if they are becoming damaged from ether.....it generally washes all the oil out of rings and sleeves first, the scraping sound becomes pronounced, the engine strains turning over and the operator stops trying.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-21-2010, 04:28 PM.
    Bob

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/b...lser-index.asp
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

Comment

• delecta
      Banned
      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Bob Smalser
      Sure sounds like timing. But if you didn't disconnect and blow out all the fuel lines between tank, 1st-stage fuel pump and points north, residual water in them would cause similar misfiring from debris clogging the orfices. (Which means the injectors need to be cleaned again.) Pull the injector farthest from the pump and check for water and crud.

When you removed the pump are you sure you didn't disturb the timing gear it meshed with, or turned the engine over while the pump was removed? It's been several years since I removed one, but I remember punching marks in both gear and housing on both the pump and its timing gear housing to insure the cylinders internal to the pump were timed with the engine cylinders.

As finding TDC and starting from scratch isn't so easy on a diesel, you may have to call in a mobile diesel service to help.

Engines generally provide plenty of warning if they are becoming damaged from ether.....it generally washes all the oil out of rings and sleeves, the scraping sound becomes pronounced and the operator stops trying.
      To remove the pump you take a plate off the front of the engine and remove three cap screws that holds the timing gear to the pump. The gear stays in place and may drop down a bit but in order to resemble you rotate the gear back into place and resemble.

So you're sure that a CAV pump fires all three on every rotation?

The lines have all been cleared, the fuel has been replaced and new filter all before the pump and injector work.

Comment

• Bob Smalser
        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by delecta
        So you're sure that a CAV pump fires all three on every rotation?
        I'm not familiar with your machine, as my Ford 4cyl Dagenham diesel is older, but I suspect so.

But if it isn't residual water, then it's most likely timing.

You might call these guys and ask about the procedure for removal and reinstallation:

The shop that rebuilt your pump should also be able to diagnose a timing problem over the phone, as they probably deal with reinstallation problems regularly. Without witness marks or a keyway, they would have set the pump to time with an engine rotated to TDC....and your engine may not be.
        Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-21-2010, 05:31 PM.
        Bob

Comment

• delecta
          Banned
          • Sep 2007

What I meant by rotating the gear was more of just pushing it up a little so it aligns with the pump. The way it is made, it can't be moved away from the drive gear so the internal timing has to fine.

The pump can only be mounted to the gear in one position so I was just wondering if the pump fires all three on every rotation or whether it would take three turns of the pump to complete a full cycle.

Thanks,

Ron

Comment

• Bobby of Tulsa
            • Jul 2000

I maybe missing something, but did you bleed the air out of the lines?
            "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Comment

• delecta
              Banned
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Bobby of Tulsa
              I maybe missing something, but did you bleed the air out of the lines?
              Of course, I have a good pulse out of the bleeder screw. I'm getting fuel into the cylinders, I just think at the wrong time.

I think I'll pull the pump again and turn it 360 degrees and give that a try.

Can't imagine what else it could be.

Comment

• Bob Smalser
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by delecta
                Of course, I have a good pulse out of the bleeder screw. I'm getting fuel into the cylinders, I just think at the wrong time.
                Again, I'm not familiar with your machine, but on my Fordson the last bleeder screw is on the pump, and I then have to loosen each high pressure fuel line at each injector to bleed the air from the pump to the injectors.

This describes how:

Bob

Comment

• Bobby of Tulsa
                  • Jul 2000

That was what I was talking about when I ask if you had bled the lines. Some engines have a manual Pump to use to prime them others dont,. you just have to break each line loose and crank your engine over.
                  Last edited by Bobby of Tulsa; 04-22-2010, 12:53 PM.
                  "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Comment

• Bobby of Tulsa
                    • Jul 2000

Did you get it running?

Comment

Working...