X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RFNK
    Port Stephens, Australia
    • Feb 2007

Restoration of a Twister

The Twister Windrose was given to me last year by a local shipwright who had been given the boat several years ago when its owner of many years became too ill to sail or maintain it. The Twister was built in the late 1960s in Sydney by Johanssen, the same builder who built the folkboat that I completed restoring about two years ago.

The Twister was designed by Kim Holman in the mid-60s. Regarded as a 28' boat, Holman actually called it the Holman 27 in the original drawings. It's been a very successful design, winning many races in its day and there have been plenty of circumnavigations and other feats of sailing completed in these boats.

This one is built with mahogany planks and superstructure, with a ply deck and cast iron ballast. It has no engine now but should have something of about 10-15 hp. There's rot in the planking and frames in the starboard aft quarter and the top quarter of the transom, the keel bolts seem to have been overtightened so there's probably some problem with keel timber, I'm concerned about the sternpost where the propellor shaft runs through it and, due to a really bad job of fastening teak decking, the deck and cockpit are basically stuffed. Otherwise, just about everything needs to be rejuventated with elbow grease and paint. I'll put all new engine, engine fittings, wiring, electrics, plumbing etc., replace the deck and build a new cockpit, repair all planking and fastenings, replace frames where they're rotten or cracked (several are cracked at the turn of the bilge aft), build or rejuvenate all interior furniture and rigging, and, probably, extend the wings of the floors where these appear to be a little too small around the area just forward of the mid-section. The hull is splined so I'll also replace any suspect splining. I may sheath the hull (full wrap with ballast removed) but I haven't decided yet. that will depend on the state of the planking once I take all the paint off. The mahogany used for this boat seems light and soft so either replacement or sheathing may be an appropriate solution - TBD!

So far, the boat's been set up in our front yard and I've built a steel frame with a brattice cover over it for protection. I've removed most fittings (all high quality on this boat except the skin fittings which are all rubbish!), removed the starboard bulwark and rubbing strip (teak) and bashed out some of the rotten planking to see what it looks like. The next step will be to remove the deck, strip all paint off the hull then remove all planking that seems suspect and any other rot. I'm hoping that the rest of the hull is okay but, well, we'll see. Once the deck is off and all bad timber is removed and it's all shored up, the ballast will come off. I'll probably have to remove the garboards but I'll see how it all looks without paint and ballast. In any case I'll have to spring a lot of planking to repair damage that I think has been done to the sternpost.

I intend to keep this thread going through the process and to post pictures at each main step. I'm very keen to hear thoughts and ideas about any aspect of this, with the exception of anyone advising that the project is not worthwhile. My time is my own, I want this boat to be practical and beautiful, and I don't care too much how long it will take. I currently work in Vietnam but have months back in Oz at a time and will soon be working back in Oz. It'll cost a lot of money and time to repair this boat but it will be a small fraction of the cost of a new build or purchase of another boat that I'd really be happy with.

All questions about the boat or anything to do with my attempts at restoration are welcome as are any ideas as it all evolves. Rick
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret
  • Hwyl
    Gareth
    • Jan 2003

Re: Restoration of a Twistebr />
    Looks like you got there just in time.

I had to look up "brattice" a new word to me.

Comment

• hansp77
      • Apr 2006

Wow! good luck Rick,
      I am looking forward to watching your progress- quite a project, and worthy one at that.
      please keep us posted.
      Hans.
      One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
      Woody Allen

Comment

• bucheron
        Bucheron
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hwyl
        Looks like you got there just in time.

I had to look up "brattice" a new word to me.

so enlighten us!
        A l'eau! C'est l'heure!

Buchie

Comment

• RFNK
          Port Stephens, Australia
          • Feb 2007

Brattice is any cloth that's used to seal passages in mines. They also use it to cover coal loads in trucks. The brattice that's used these days is just that woven plastic stuff they use for tarpaulins, tent groundsheets etc. but the material now called brattice is a highly quality material than the stuff you buy in camping shops, hardware shops etc. It should last about 5 years under the sun. I'm a bit skeptical about that but hopeful.

A l'eau! C'est l'heure!
          Unfortunately, not just yet! Khong chua!

Rick
          Last edited by RFNK; 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM.
          Rick

Comment

• RFNK
            Port Stephens, Australia
            • Feb 2007

At the moment I'm wondering about what material to use for the new planking and frames. Mahogany's too hard to get here and I don't trust the stuff I can get here anyway - although I will probably replace the transom top with it so that I have the option of varnishing the transom. I need a planking timber with similar density to mahogany and I need timber for splines. I also need timber to slice up for laminating frames so it needs to be rot resistant, glue readily and be fairly flexible. For framing I'm thinking of kauri or celery top if I can get it. For frames I'm thinking of jarrah, flooded gum etc. although I'm not sure about their flexibility. For any repairs to sternpost, deadwood etc., I'll use flooded gum for its stability. I'm not sure about new coaming etc. - it depends how much of the old mahogany is really okay. Rick
            Rick

Comment

• Larks
              Larks
              • Jul 2007

Rick, I'm considering getting some African Mahogony trucked down to Brisbane from Darwin before I leave, I haven't done much reasearch yet so am not yet sold on it but am wondering about getting some slabs of it for my cabin sides. Would this stuff be any use for you? There's quite a bit of it up here that's been milled and stacked to dry out at Berrimah and I'm thinking it's the right time of year to truck it and keep it reasonably stable on the way down. I haven't yet chased up to see if it would be any different to what may be available in Queensland though.
              Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
              “It’s risky”, said experience.
              “It’s pointless”, said reason.
              “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• RFNK
                Port Stephens, Australia
                • Feb 2007

Thanks Larks, I would be interested and I'm happy to share costs. I won't use it for planking but it would be really handy for the transom and some superstructure. I'll measure up some thicknesses etc. and let you know. Good to see you making some progress on that H28. Good to see yours has a bridgedeck too - I'm amazed at how many boats don't have this important component! What's the planking on your boat? Rick
                Rick

Comment

• Larks
                  Larks
                  • Jul 2007

The H28 is strip planked in huon pine, resorcinol glued. The cabin sides were also originally huon pine but glassed over and I put the sabre saw through the middle of it before realising what it was so now have a couple of short lengths that I'll recover if I can strip the glass off. I don't know what the deck beams are.
                  I'll let you know when I can find out a bit more about the African Mahogony as far as cost and freight.
                  Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Comment

• RFNK
                    Port Stephens, Australia
                    • Feb 2007

Great, thanks. I wish Windrose was planked with huon (or anything other than mahogany!!). I'll be in Tassie in a couple of weeks. Want me to see if I can get some huon? Let me know what you need if you can. I had a big slab of it shipped up a few years ago and it wasn't too expensive. Rick
                    Rick

Comment

• Larks
                      Larks
                      • Jul 2007

Don't tempt me.....I'd be buying it for the sake of buying it at the moment so I'll give it a miss, I have a couple of smallish slabs that I bought through ebay, kiln dried and ends sealed. It's from a guy in Melbourne who's family have a mill and he dries it before seling it. I have his contact if you are interested in it, though it may end up being from the same mill anyway with his mark-up, I don't think there are too many that are allowed to mill it now. Bernadette also had some that she was going to sell, 'not sure if she still has it or not though.
                      Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Comment

• RFNK
                        Port Stephens, Australia
                        • Feb 2007

Anyone can mill it but you can't cut it down so it all comes from salvaged logs now. There's still a lot of it lying around at the bottom of Macquarie Harbour and the Lower Gordon I believe, and I think that's the main source. Rick
                        Rick

Comment

• Candyfloss
                          • Apr 2009

Good luck with this one Rick. I'm sure she'll come up just beautiful.
                          Keep It Simple: KISS it better.

Comment

• downthecreek
                            • Aug 2008

She'll be worth it. Beautiful little boats and great to sail.
                            "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Comment

• shamus
                              • Jul 2001

Just a thought: As I understood you, you'll be removing the ply deck early in the process. Are the deck beams/and their connections sound enough to hold her shape if you do this?

Comment

Working...