First Boat Build: Northern White Cedar vs Atlantic White Cedar?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RustyButtonForge
    • Nov 2016

First Boat Build: Northern White Cedar vs Atlantic White Cedar?

I am looking for insight on materials. I have access to Northern White Cedar for my first build. How does it compare to Atlantic White Cedar? I am considering a Grand Banks Dory or Faering for fishing on Lake Ontario.
  • JimConlin
    • Oct 2000

Re: First Boat Build: Northern White Cedar vs Atlantic White Cedar?

THey're quite similar. Both are lovely materials to work with.

Comment

• tapsnap
      • Dec 2007

Northern white is tougher and steam bends easier, but I think Atlantic is lighter.

Comment

• OldDominionWB
        • Nov 2016

I'm going to build my next boat with Atlantic white because it's what is available in my region. I haven't used it before, but I've been told it splits more easily than Northern white. I've worked with northern white while I was in Maine, and it was really wonderful to work. Both have a long history as choice boatbuilding woods, so you can't go wrong with either. Use whichever is cheaper. If the prices are similar, then I'd go with northern white, since its supposed to be marginally easier to work.

Comment

• RustyButtonForge
          • Nov 2016

Thank you both. A friend of mine has some Northern White of varying diameters that I hope to knab and mill. I have also settled on building a Grand Banks Dory due to family history.

Tapsnap,
          I have read your Oselvar Faering build and it was quite inspiring. A faering may be in my future, but theses kinds of projects tend to take me a long time. Thanks for your insight.

Comment

• nedL
            Senior Member #1976
            • Jul 2000

Atlantic cedar has such a wonderful aromatic cedar smell to it. It is worth it for that reason alone.

Comment

Working...