Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book
  • Glen Longino
    • Jun 2008

Re: Who makes up Limbaugh's audience?

jbelow!

Comment

• LeeG
      • May 2002

Pew research from a few years ago figured it had the highest number of self-identified conservatives of any popular tv or radio personality. Mostly old white guys.

Comment

• Arizona Bay
        Molecules of Freedom
        • Feb 2011

Those with a Victim mentality.
        Greg H. - from before the great crash, 20th century member 108

"(T)he Republican Party no longer recognizes the legitimacy of any opposition."

Comment

• ccmanuals
          Son of a Guineaman
          • Dec 2001

Jon Stewart went after Rush last night. It was great!
          Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Comment

• LeeG
            • May 2002

Comment

• Chris Coose
              • Sep 2001

I can tell you this morning who is not listening.
              WGAN is the local host of this pig. There is a Move On petition to the station that was created within the last 24 hours and there are nearly 3,000 signatures and looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
              Facebook seems to be the conduit.
              Study Peace

Comment

• Concordia 33
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by John Smith
                I've had the questionalbe pleasure of listening to Limbaugh a bit over the years and having my ear bent by some who think he's infalible.

Last week's Limbaughism is not the first absurd thing he's said, and if you get past some of the language he used last week, it is clear he either knows not how contraception works or he doesn't care, preferring to misrepresent matters of fact to make his point for his listeners.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot". In this book he shows over and over again how Rush mistates matters of fact. Rush will say something to the effect of: I'm not making this stuff up, folks, this is all fact. Only it isn't, and he is making it up. When asked about Franken's book, Rush responded by claiming to be an entertainer and having no need to get his fact correct.

Liberals take a lot of heat in recent years from conservatives for simply beling liberal. It is not the liberals who are listening to Rush and his kind: it is conservatives.

It is also conservatives who still pay attention when Cheney, Rumsfeld, et al speak.

I can cite some specifics, such as Rush telling his audience than man is not capable of polluting the planet. Is there a sane man who agrees with that? He's said that having an abortion can leave long lasting emotional scars. That is true, but if one wishes to be honest, one must compare that abortion to the alternatives of giving a baby away for adoption or raising a child you're neither financially or emotionally prepared to raise. He omits those last two.

A lot of us liberals took a lot of heat from conservatives, even family members, when we didn't believe Saddam had any weapons or posed any threat. We were "unpatriotic". We were "atheists" (don't know how that fit in). We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.

History has proven those of us who did not believe Saddam had the weapons to be correct.

Funny how conservatives change the rules when the president changes. Now it seems perfectly fine to make personal attacks on our president.

Those who listen to Rush, or Hannity, or O'Reilly, or some others of that ilk might re-consider who they choose to listen to.

These people are literally, IMO, poisoning the minds of those who listen to them.
                I can agree with you in part, but when you start keeping score I think you miss how much this stuff occurs in BOTH directions. Despite how much Brietbart has been reviled here and elsewhere, he was the one that broke the Anthony Weiner story. And when he did, Anthony Weiner and all the liberal media trashed him. The only problem was that he was right.

I'm not a true conservative but many of my views are conservative leaning, and yet I opposed the Invasion of Iraq. I listen to Rush from time to time, and he is definitely extreme and goes over the top - he can be a little like a political shock jock. But thinking that his words control the minds of all conservatives would be the same as saying that Reverend Wright's words control the attitudes of our President. Conservatives think for themselves just as much as liberals. I think you are painting with a broad brush, and glossing over some of the equally unacceptable moments from the more liberal side.
                * _______________________________________ )

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                  Ancient Mariner
                  • Dec 2006

I rarely listen..Once in a while for a laugh. I can remember one in particular that got my fancy. Rush was talking about outhouses having to have cell power installed for running the electricity. He followed up by saying the $10,000 cost per out house for the retro fit was fine but many of the outhouses were located under pine trees.I have no idea where he was coming from on this, but I got a kick over thinking about it.

Comment

• Tall Boy
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Chris Coose
                    looks like 80% are pissed off Maine women.
                    Looks like Gal Qaeda has found a target they can finaly rally around.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      • Dec 2008

I sometimes listen to the guy, mostly because it's too quiet in the office and I just need some background noise. I typically leave him on quietly and once in a while turn my ear to actually hear what he's talking about. I am very far from a "dittohead." I do not see him as some brilliant pundit; mostly just an entertainer. As with just about any other radio personality, I sometimes agree with some things he says, and often disagree with some things he says. I certainly don't "take my marching orders" from him. You have to admit he's effective at what he does - he pretty much single-handedly saves AM radio from obscurity and invented a whole genre of radio show in doing so, which in the past 20 years has been copied dozens of times all over the place.

One thing I don't know if I can forgive him for is he pretty much helped Sean Hannity get his start. I used to sometimes listen to Hannity just to hear what he was talking about, but I can't take it anymore. If you think Rush is stupid, you should hear Hannity.

Al Franken wrote and entire book about this: "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot".
                      Yeah, I read that years ago. As I recall, his point was bemoaning the lack of civility in political discourse, and the title was a snarky way of making that point.

Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.

And liberals pay attention when Bill Clinton and Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson speak. George Stephanopolous got his own show. I don't see anything offensive or outrageous about any of that. Each person decides who he or she wants to believe or listen to.

We were not fit to be Americans if we question our president.
                      Yeah, ironic, isn't it? Because I've heard that very same statement made many times over the past 2-3 years. Again, I just see it as predictable confirmation bias. Each side is blind to its own faults. "It's different when we do it" applies to the Republicans just as well as it does to the Democrats. And it's not very hard to dredge up all kinds of examples of it in action.0

Yeah, funny, ain't it? The same people who used to say "dissent is the highest form of patriotism" when that dissent was aimed at George Bush, and who portrayed him as a chimp, Hitler, The Joker, etc., etc., and Dick Cheney as Darth Vader, etc. now call anyone "racist" if they have anything less than glowing admiration and idolizing worship for Obama. They claim you're disrespecting the office of the president by criticizing him.

Hannity is an idiot who makes me wonder how he has become as successful as he has. O'Reilly is a bully and a windbag, who also makes me wonder the same thing. Rush is a very smart, entrepeneurial capitalist who knows what red meat his audience likes - but again, they're all really mostly entertainers. None of them are running for office or trying to lead the government.

I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.
                      - Bill T.
                      - Ashland, VA

Motorcycles or sailboat; either way I'll be camping.

Comment

• Concordia 33
                        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by ILikeRust
                        Conservatives take a lot of heat from liberals simply for being conservatives. From where I sit, it's pretty clearly a two-way street. There are plenty of bloviators on both sides. Plenty of liberals DO, in fact, listen to Rush - so they can scream and yell and wail and gnash their teeth about all the incredibly offensive and outrageous things he says - which is, at least in part, why he says them. But the liberals have on their side of the "talk show hosts who make the most outrageous and offensive statements" game Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow over at MSNBC, along with Fareed Zakaria and others. And then there's good ol' Al Sharpton. They've all uttered some pretty ridiculous statements themselves, and have had plenty of denigrating things to say about conservatives and Republicans. You know, goose/gander, etc.

Originally posted by ILikeRust
                        I might say the same about all those left-wing commentators - I can't imagine how someone could listen to Chris Matthews or Rachel Maddow or - maybe the worst of them - Bill Maher. The angry, hateful, bitter, condescending rhetoric I have heard all of them utter is pretty impressive. Go take a look at the things that Bill Maher said about Sarah Palin. I mean, like her or not (I never have been a big fan), it's pretty stupid and outrageous to stoop so low as to call her a c*nt - which Bill Maher did. And he also called Michelle Bachmann (again, I'm not a big fan) a "bitch" and other similar things.

So now we've got the left getting its panties in a bunch because Rush called that woman - Fluke? - a "slut". Evidently, it's perfectly fine to call conservative women c*nts nad bitches and such, though.

++1
                        * _______________________________________ )

Comment

• S.V. Airlie
                          Ancient Mariner
                          • Dec 2006

watch out Rust..worthy of at least the ignore button.

Comment

• John of Phoenix
                            • Jun 2001

"Rush is the poster boy for contraception."
                            "I can't understand how this man has gone through four wives."
                            Gut crushers, Colbert.

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                              • Mar 2006

One spoke of her experience with the birth control issue. The other offers herself as a potential President, offering her ignorance, bigotry, viciousness and cunning as her principal qualifications.
                              Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

Working...