PDA

View Full Version : Next boat

hake
01-27-2001, 11:06 PM
Well I'm starting to think about my next boat. I've built a drift boat using frame & plywood construction. A pretty simple first project. It came out great despite my lack of shop, limited tools, and two left hands.

But I have a problem. I think I like building better than rowing. So it's time to start planning for another boat. I'd like to try my hand on a day sailer. To be honest I don't want to use stitch and glue.

I've considered the Haven 12.5 but, whew, that may be a bit too much for my skills (though part of me wants to go there- maybe my third project).

So how about some suggestions. Any favorite daysailers out there for family adventures? Should I stick to the Haven for the next five years? Are there any similar boats with a little less difficulty in construction?

G. Schollmeier
01-28-2001, 08:07 AM
"I think I like building better than rowing." LOL If you can even think that line your in for the long haul. So many boats, so little time. http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif Good luck, Gary

[This message has been edited by G. Schollmeier (edited 01-28-2001).]

TomW
01-28-2001, 09:53 AM
Take a look at the book "Building the Herreshoff dinghy, The Manufacturers Method"
By Barry Thomas. It is a 11' 6 1/2" lapstrack? dinghy it is a great book to read it has the table of off sets, lofting lines, sail plan, and alot of good tips. Tom

NormMessinger
01-28-2001, 12:09 PM
"So many boats, so little time," Indeed!

Maybe searching for the prefect boat to build is half the fun and then maybe after you choose one and get it half built you still see a design that makes you wonder if you'd have chosen it.

WoodenBoat's three books, Thirty, Fourty and Fifty Wooden Boats" is a good place to start your search.

As I was filpping through back issues yesterday I came upon The Biscayne Bay 14. See WoodenBoat, No. 96, September/October 1990. It's a beauty. Take a look.

Yup! Building is IT. But I promise to change my attitude when Prairie Islander is launched.

Best--

--Norm

--Norm

garland reese
01-28-2001, 03:13 PM
I agree with Norm that the WoodenBoat catalogs would be a good place to start a search. Joel White's Marsh Cat comes to mind,.....she is a cold molded 15 footer. Also, the MeadowBird, advertised in the back of WB mag is really nice. 16 feet, strip built hull, dayboat or small cabin version.....very pretty.

I think that the Haven is one of the finest small boats around. My own requirements for a boat are such that carvel construction would not do well (I'd be a trailer sailor/store it at home type). There are those who've built the Haven in cold molded construction, but I don't thnik that the plans detail this variation. As popular as the design is, it would sure be nice to see a plans version for cold molded construction.
Anyway, good luck with your search. You mentioned that you were not inclined to do a stich and glue design. Indeed, they don't seem to stir the same emotions as boats like the Haven, but Sam Devlin has done a very wonderful job with the plywood stitch and glue methods. He has a very nice little day sailer called the Nancy's China. There are two versions...... a cabin version and a day sailer with electric auxiliary power. The bigger Winter Wren has a dayboat version as well......and that is truly a beautiful design by any standard. There is plenty of interior woodwork on these boats to make you forget that they are stitch and glue hulls (that is true at least, when you gaze upon Devlin's craftmanship www.devlinboat.com (http://www.devlinboat.com) ). They have a traditional look about them. As slow as I am at building my first two little boats (ol' Noah would be considered a blazingly fast builder by my standard!), a stitch and glue is making more and more sense to me lately, at least from a practical standpoint. Though I suppose that, where men and boats are concerend, practicality kinda goes south.....the Haven is hard to resist.
Another design to look at is William Garden's Eel. It is an 18 foot double ended canoe yawl........very different from the Haven, but lovely and can be built with or without a cabin.
Ian Oughtred's Wee Seal can be built as a day sailer too........ these last two boats are found in the WB catalogs. Any of Ian's designs would get my vote!
There is a Haven 12 1/2 builder's page somewhere......it has been mentioned here a few times. Have you looked there? I think that there are some that are doing cold molded version there, though I have not had a look there myself. Maybe that would help you in making your decision. I've gone back and forth, weighing the pluses and minuses of this design over that, and this oner that one and so on................MY Head Hurts!......I think I'll take some aspirin and go look at boat books.....or maybe I'll go work on that S&G Kayak in the garage (admittedly, S&G construction does not inspire me to obsessive work on this little boat and it is googe time....still a bit cold and wet here though).
good luck and God bless,
garland

TomHaven12
08-14-2001, 10:32 PM
The Haven 12 1/2 web site mentioned above is: http://www.havenbuilders.com

Paul
08-15-2001, 07:30 AM
The EEL would be a nice fun boat to build. The Marison skiff in fifty wooden boats comes with very detailed plans, it might be worth checking out. You need to decide if you want to sit on the floor to sail or have the comfort of bench seats. The Biscayne is a fine boat but no seats. The Haven's cockpit is big and comfortable..but will probaly take at least 2 - 21/2 years to build.

wcralle1
08-15-2001, 07:57 AM
The core sound boats from B & B always intrested me. I have never actually sailed a cat ketch rigged boat, but I like the concept. Also, they look easy to build.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/cs17.htm

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/cs20.htm

DougWilde
08-15-2001, 08:18 AM
Treat yourself to an Atkin & Co. plan catalog. $15 or so will get you access to hundreds of plans...classic designs...classic elegance. Traditional building or many adaptable to plywood. Some of the best money you'll ever spend.

Doug Wilde

PS. Look in the back of Wouldn'tFloat for address.

CaseyJones
08-15-2001, 09:26 AM
"wcralle1" is right about the Core Sound 17 & 20. Great looking boats. I bought the plans for the 17. The only s&g part of the boat is the empty hull. The bulkheads, decks, etc are a more traditional construction.