PDA

View Full Version : Bottom paint for small trailer boat.

Tim Tyler
02-16-2004, 04:34 PM
I've CPES coated and epoxy filled the whole bottom on my little, old 14' runabout.

It's a trailer boat, so i'd rather not use antifouling paint since I don't think it's necessary.

I was going to use Interlux's VC Epoxy paint kit, but I'm wondering if I should just use a quality non-marine exterior paint.

The boat will be mostly used in salt water, probably less than 150 hours a year.

Any suggestions?

Buddy
02-16-2004, 05:06 PM
Any enamel will do, but there are bottom paints which are made for trailered boats. These paints don't have to be launched soon after the paint dries like most bottom paints. It's been my experience with my trailered and often beached boat that the paint does get skinned up, and regulat bottom paint is very forgiving to touch up with a cheap disposable brush. No so a glossy enamel paint.

Buddy
02-16-2004, 05:09 PM
BTW, if you want to get the full adhesion benefit of painting over CPES, you only have about a 24 hours window to overcoat. After you get your paint in hand, it would be first class work to sand that bottom, recoat with CPES, then don't miss that window. It really does make a difference, says the Voice of Experience.

Tim Tyler
02-16-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks.

Unfortunately I will not be re-CPES-ing. The time and cost just aren't worth it. The boat is not particularly beatiful. I just want it to stay afloat smile.gif

I found another thread with some answers too http://media5.hypernet.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001375

JimD
02-16-2004, 06:27 PM
I don't really understand why there would be a need for such a separate thing as bottom paint for a trailer boat but shows what I know. So this is a less than award winning 14 foot boat that will spend most of her time out of the water? Slap some house paint on her, have fun. smile.gif

Walcheren
02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I have used Interlux Fibreglass Bottomkote. Only one season so I'll let you know next year how well it stood up. No problems after one year with on trailer, off trailer and rocky bottom. Easy to go over any damaged patches.

lumberdude
02-16-2004, 08:45 PM
This is my first post in what seems like forever, but in my limited, but well thought out advice, I recommend Kirby's. Great paint, been in business forever, super nice people, will help you if you need it, Great paint, and did I mention, Great paint?

George Kirby Jr. Paint Co.
508-997-9008
163 Mt. Vernon Street
New Bedford, Ma 02740

This is not a paid advertisement! I had my own 14' runabout, and decided on Kirby's after checking out alot of options. It's very affordable and does an excellent job. But honestly, what did it for me, was the personal service. You just don't get that everywhere.

Kory

Todd Bradshaw
02-16-2004, 09:39 PM
If the boat is going to sit in the water for several days at a time, check the label on enamel carefully. Many of them which work fine for an afternoon's daysail develop problems if you leave the boat in the water for extended periods. They'll have something which specifies "Not for use below the waterline".

[ 02-16-2004, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Todd Bradshaw ]

cmorse
02-17-2004, 11:31 AM
I found Micron CSC from Interlux to be very good for trailerable boats, as that is one of its uses. I used it on both of the Devlin boats I've owned, the Scoter and the Dipper. Some years they were in salt water for 3-4 months and some years we used them off the trailer. Either way, this bottom paint held up well.