PDA

View Full Version : A problem with ebooks

ron ll
07-15-2009, 04:51 PM
I have been reading a lot of books lately on my iPhone. It uses the Kindle software and the Amazon bookstore and in spite of the skeptics, is a very pleasant way to read. However, altho there is a progress bar at the bottom, it only appears if you activate it. So unlike a paper book, you really have no idea how far you are into the story.

So having this afternoon off, I had just nicely settled into my reading spot on the boat, a glass of wine and some snacks at hand ready to spend some quality time with Perez-Reverte's captain Alatriste and his buddies. However much to my surprise and disappointment, I turned the page to discover the next chapter titled, "Epilogue".

ron ll
07-15-2009, 05:01 PM
I should add that all is not lost however. Because one of the advantages of ebooks is that without getting up from my comfortable spot, I can simply purchase the next book in the series and it almost instantly shows up ready to read on my iPhone with only a small $9.99 nick in my credit card. :D

Diego Alatriste fights on!

ron ll
07-15-2009, 07:58 PM
The deal with the smaller screen just means you turn the page more often. But turning the page is such a mindless automatic light tap on the edge of the screen that I'm not even aware of doing it. The reading flow is not interrupted at all. And of course the font size can be changed so it's not like you're reading tiny print. I just checked and with the font size I use there are about 70-80 words per page.

I have a couple of friends with Kindles and I have to admit they are pretty nice too. You couldn't pry that thing out of their hands. They love it.