PDA

View Full Version : walnut floor

Kim Ward
11-22-2003, 01:17 PM
I am restoring an Acme Aqualiner 1963 20 foot runabout and need to decide about floorboards. The wooden grid look appeals to me and I have found 36"x 18" walnut 3/4" grids at of all places , Ikea! $ 160 for 6!!!! These are already assembled and glued with a 2" frame around. They will fit with little modification in my boat. Good idea? Not? What to finish them with? Oil? I'd like to avoid varnish on a floor thank you Kim

Gary E
11-22-2003, 01:37 PM
Kim,

How big are the holes in the grid? big enuf to stub your toe? what might fall thru? a minnow, worm, lead sinker, bottle cap, cigerette? all that into the bilge?...ummm

I figger on being barefoot and dropin stuff, so no grids for me.

G

Bob Smalser
11-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Did the tag say what they were glued with? An interior glue might not hold up very long.

Jack Heinlen
11-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Try Deks Ole number one for a finish, if it's still available. I don't recall seeing ads for it in WB for quite some time.

Finding out what glue was used could be difficult--though perhaps if you have a good look at the joints you'll see some dried seepage--and it would make a difference. What is the original intent for these pieces?

Are you sure this grating is appropriate for he boat and the era? Sounds a little fancified to me. Oh, and there is a long-held superstition, at least in NE, that walnut in a boat is bad luck. smile.gif

Kim Ward
11-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Yikes! walnut bad luck in a boat you say? This boat is more launch looking than true runabout but it's either nothing or osb with green indoor /outdoor on it. (as it was when I rescued it.) I've seen some smaller launches in Muskoka floored like this and I was hoping to have something ventilated and easy to lift in sections.
The Ikea pieces make up a scandinavian looking coffee table , definitely indoor use only. However this boat is always indoors except 1-2 hour cruises around the lake 10-12 times a year, always in flat fair weather. We worry more out here with wood and glue joints drying out too much than perpetual wet. The holes are 5/8-3/4", certainly not high heel worthy but to big for my big toe. Deks oil sounds about right but you're correct, the floor should fit the era. Any other ideas for a floor?I'll make some fakes up and see what it looks like. Thanks all for the replies Kim

John Blazy
11-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi Kim,
Staple screen on the underside of the grids before installing - that'll keep the crap out of the bilge. Oil would be my choice of finish. You'll want to run support joists under the grids at some interval to make sure you get support.

Gerald
11-22-2003, 07:33 PM
I made grids out of cedar using a fixture and wobble blade on my table saw. The grids are used for flooring in the head and deck for the swim ladder. When I get around to it I will make grids for the cockpit. John is sure right about running support joist under the grid. They aren't very strong. However, the support joist more or less holds the grids together and glue does very little. Stub your toe ..... naw not in a 3/4" X 5/8" hole. Good luck.
Gerald