PDA

View Full Version : Mark aka Tylerdurden...

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Does anybody know what happened to his threads? Why and how they disappeared?
I see Mark's farewell address down the page, but it's closed to comments.
Not to whip a dead horse, but Mark is one of us, with the same right to be here as the rest of us who obey the rules.
It seems heartless to simply watch him leave without asking any questions, similar to hurrying past a fallen man on a busy sidewalk.
Anybody? Scot?

bob winter
07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
That is a very good question, Norman, and I would be interested to know the answer. I would also like more details about the email mentioned in Mark's letter. It is all very curious.

rbgarr
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
It could get interesting if he posted the e-mail here.

rbgarr
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Scot can be contacted directly through WB. A phone call would probably be a better way to find out.

huisjen
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

I see no evidence that Mark was banned, just that a bunch of his paranoid rants were removed. He's sulking. His rants are like a mini-denial-of-service attack, cluttering up the place so you can't find the real stuff. Even Jack is more sane. I'm not surprised that someone saw fit to tidy up. But Mark will be back.

When you threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue, eventually you have to let it go, even if it's because you passed out. Then you start breathing again.

Dan

John of Phoenix
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
There was a time when a person could quietly enroll one's self as an administrator and modify posts at will - don't know about deletions though. That was fixed. But... the forum was hacked not too long ago. Who knows.

Too bad about Mark.

johnw
07-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, this is very strange. Has anyone asked Scot if there is a way Mark's threads could be disappeared by someone other than Mark or Scot?

I occasionally tease Mark, but I've always thought he was an okay guy, maybe a guy who needs to get over himself, but not a bad guy at all. I didn't often open his threads because so often the topics were off the wall, but I've not been bothered by what he's posted here when we've been participating in the same threads. If I don't want to talk about something, I just don't participate in the discussion. Was there something happening in his threads that might have led to their deletion?

Well, he's made the place more colorful. Maybe he'll be back.

bobbys
07-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I like this fellow Tylerdurden, He ROCKS!!!!!:)

Chris Coose
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
When somebody wants to muck out my bilge I don't usually look to give them instruction. They get do go about it as they please.

This ain't my bilge or your bilge and the operator has taken it upon himself to do some scrubbing.
BTW I have been here since 9/01 and I have never had tampering of any kind. No virus attacks. No missing posts. No deleted threads. No lousy e-mails or PM's and One recommendation to clean up my language and as you know, I am no saint.

What I have always known is I am a guest. I move about the deck as if there is a captain. He makes the calls and I don't question them because he is willing to clean this bilge any way he sees fit.

Don't like it? Do like TD did but I wouldn't poke the skipper in the eye in passing.

Gonzalo
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM
...the bilge is...a generous privelegeOne that I, for one, appreciate. And I appreciate Scot's forbearance, given how much unpleasant manure passes for discourse around here, well mixed with the more pleasant fertilizer, of course.

johnw
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
You know, Joe went through a period of having his posts messed with. Incredibly, he got a clue and changed his behavior. How often does that happen?

My theory is, Mark has been hit by a clue-by-four, but didn't get a clue.

Uncle Duke
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
the contention that anyone other than Scot can delete a post or threa
Anyone with administrator rights/login can. I'm fairly confident that there are more people than Scot who have the permissions (somebody needs to man the ship if he takes a vacation, after all), but that it totally different than some theory that other forum members are doing things for evil purposes.
Or that there are forum members who have special powers of persuasion in this regard.

Milo Christensen
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
. . . Mark has been hit by a clue-by-four, but didn't get a clue.

Mark didn't get a clue the first three times either.

The Bigfella
07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
There used to be more "administrators" than just Scot. I'm talking about more than a year back... people could actually self-select the position, but Scot got wind of it and changed it and removed those people. My guess would be that a few other WB employees would also have that status.... after all, Scot has a fascination with Hummers, and you never know....

I'll admit that I pushed the ! button a couple of times on Mark, when he was being particularly abusive of people, which I regard as a breach of forum rules. Scot, or "whoever" expressed his displeasure the last time I did it - a little while after Mark's last banning, by altering Mark's offensive post to read "I must be nice" several times... and by deleting three days of my posts. Incidentally, I got plenty of back channel commentary wondering why he was such a protected species given his appalling behaviour.

His insistence on a "wrecking crew" borders on paranoia. He got relatively polite treatment given the rubbish he posted and the fear-mongering he engaged in. I'm sorry he's felt he was sent packing. I'd rather he engaged in this forum in the spirit that its sponsors intended it be engaged in.

I can understand someone sending him that email.... given the attitude he displayed. I wouldn't have done it, but I can understand why someone did.

Rich VanValkenburg
07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Not very many years ago, as a programmer on an IBM AS400, we had a utility called DBU (DataBase Utility) that would allow us to directly change or delete records in a database. I'm not familiar with the database that the forum uses, but if needed, we could directly and anonymously change data without anyone ever knowing it. We used it to correct data written by smoking programs or something that the users would do that we were unprepared for.

elf
07-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I put Mark on ignore about 3 weeks ago. Did I miss anything, or are you guys just unable to let go?

oznabrag
07-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Mark may well be a very companionable person, face-to-face (this is his oft-repeated claim), but on this forum he has been the single most reliably abrasive son of a bitch.

Any minor questioning of his methods or motives was met with vileness and condescension.

I read his 'farewell note' earlier today and, while it is a notable breach of ethics to dis-invite him to Doug and Carter's without their knowledge or consent (the person who did that should be banned in perpetuity, in my opinion), the overall message was that he feels as though he is being put upon because no-one will tolerate his bullying, infantile, abusive demeanor.

I think that the great majority of people here are willing to entertain the idea that Government is a (necessary) evil, and that we must needs be eternally vigilant against the excesses of absolute power corrupting absolutely, but his blanket, scornful debasement of anyone who didn't swallow his bull**** outright was tiresome, to say the least.

Goodbye Mark! Come back when you grow up.

elf
07-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Not very many years ago, as a programmer on an IBM AS400, we had a utility called DBU (DataBase Utility) that would allow us to directly change or delete records in a database. I'm not familiar with the database that the forum uses, but if needed, we could directly and anonymously change data without anyone ever knowing it. We used it to correct data written by smoking programs or something that the users would do that we were unprepared for.

It's possible you could get the code for vBulletin from the company which holds the copyright, but they might not give you the right to change it.

In addition, to make any change effective for the Forum would require hacking WoodenBoat's passwords.

Whatever the amusement value of that, I think it would be a really rude thing to do, not to mention that it might cause us to lose the forum entirely which would be a very great loss and make an awful lot of people much more angry with you than they like to pretend to be with poor Mark.

Keith Wilson
07-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Mark has been hit by a clue-by-four, but didn't get a clue.Mark thinks that his undeviating persistence no matter what he's hit with is a great virtue. May whatever gods there be grant him peace, bless him and keep him far away from us.

Joe (SoCal)
07-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I was out enjoying the day -I missed the fun

Rich VanValkenburg
07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
It's possible you could get the code for vBulletin from the company which holds the copyright, but they might not give you the right to change it.

In addition, to make any change effective for the Forum would require hacking WoodenBoat's passwords.

Whatever the amusement value of that, I think it would be a really rude thing to do, not to mention that it might cause us to lose the forum entirely which would be a very great loss and make an awful lot of people much more angry with you than they like to pretend to be with poor Mark.

Anything similar to what we used on the AS400 would need access to some very intimate knowledge of the file structure of the forum itself, something that is in use by many forums using vBulletin. Angry with me? It's nothing that I would even think of doing, I just wanted to give an example of something that does exist for DB2.

Krunch
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM
I thought Tylerdurden's point of view was a refreshing change of pace from the typical chorus of barking seals. (Though I've only been reading the bilge for the past few weeks, to be honest.)

So I guess I'm next.

Disappointing, really, it is. I had hoped for better.

I've always found dinner parties rather boring where everyone seemed to agree on everything.

Pugwash
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
.....the bilge is...... a generous privelege..... I don't think we have a right.

Oh God, more ass kissing. Click on "The WoodenBoat Forum" count the difference between threads and post in The Bilge and every other section.

If it wasn't for the bilge the wbf would just be a bunch of people asking if they can use house paint on their boat.

It's a two way street, we rats are not somehow inferior. We're what keeps the place alive.

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Krunch, Mark, left his e-mail address on his departing thread if you need to keep in touch for your Daily Dose of Doom.:)

The Bigfella
07-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I thought Tylerdurden's point of view was a refreshing change of pace from the typical chorus of barking seals. (Though I've only been reading the bilge for the past few weeks, to be honest.)

So I guess I'm next.

I've always found dinner parties rather boring where everyone seemed to agree on everything.

Ahh, but that's the point. I had no problem debating a point with Mark.... except that he would post something, then not debate it - he'd just turn abusive if you didn't bow down and lick his toes.

The best debates with Mark were in the old days before he started predicting the collapse of the economic system (which is what his prediction was last year - to occur by Fall '08). I actually learnt something over the 9/11 debate. The problem for Mark was that he couldn't handle the truth being posted. Many of us kept posting the facts, so he started on his abuse.

He did post some good stuff - but his strike rate was about 2% and his abuse quotient was massive. He probably tested our host's patience when he started talking about lobbing a grenade into the forum a couple of weeks back. He was going to take it down. Direct threatening stuff. As mentioned, he didn't take the clue by four.

I missed whatever he did last night (our time), but someone might tell us. I'd been ignoring his deliberate baiting of me on a range of threads, so it wasn't me.

Tom Montgomery
07-02-2009, 09:59 PM
When Mark joined the WBF in 2006 and began posting his doom and gloom threads in the Bilge, I posted to them a few times. I quickly discovered that if I disagreed with him I became another target of his homophobic abuse. So I decided to opt out. I didn't argue with him. I just left him alone.

A while later, Mark complained loudly that either Scot or someone else had been altering his posts. A number of people ridiculed him about his paranoia. Then Joe ( CSOH ) also complained loudly that Scot was doing the same thing to his posts. I posted to apologize to Mark for suggesting he was being paranoid with regard to Scot and suggested that others do the same. Mark let me know that he appreciated my post. But I continued to opt out of participating in his threads. My problem was not with his interests or the subjects of his posts but with his thin skin and abusive online behavior. He is his own worst enemy. I have no doubt that he is fine fellow in person.

bobbys
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM

So I guess I'm next.

I've always found dinner parties rather boring where everyone seemed to agree on everything..

I think we need at least 1000 posts before they start really cussing us out!!!!:)

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 10:07 PM

I think we need at least 1000 posts before they start really cussing us out!!!!:)

It never was about us cussing him out.
Quite the opposite!
That's why he's down for the count and we're still here.:)

Milo Christensen
07-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Mark has eclipsed dutch as a topic of conversation. I didn't think anyone could ever eclipse dutch.

pefjr
07-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I put Mark on ignore about 3 weeks ago. Did I miss anything, or are you guys just unable to let go?
thanks Scot. I thought it was different today. Much cleaner, smells better.

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Mark has eclipsed dutch as a topic of conversation. I didn't think anyone could ever eclipse dutch.

Jack's thread, "Old two cycle gas", has almost as many posts as this one, as a comparison of interest.:)

Big Woody
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I personally believe Mark knew too much and the Illuminati silenced him. :D

He seemed to be on both ends of the political spectrum. He seemed to enjoy espousing views based upon them being far fetched and contrary to the majority belief.

Once recently I even read a mild and middle of the road opinion posted by Mark. Maybe the Illuminati had already got to him? :eek:

elf
07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
He is his own worst enemy. I have no doubt that he is fine fellow in person.

Boy, there's a non sequitur if I ever saw one.

An angry irrational bully in print is one in real life.

Tom Montgomery
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
I've noticed that the anonymity and physical separation provided by the internet causes some people to behave in ways they never would in person.

elf
07-02-2009, 11:56 PM
I've noticed that the anonymity and physical separation provided by the internet causes some people to behave in ways they never would in person.

While there's undeniably a moderating impact when actually face to face with a person, there's a much more powerful connection between what a person thinks and who that person is. The fact of the matter is that Mark does think the things he posts here or he would not be encountering them and cutting and pasting them in the Bilge. In person he's quite up front about actually subscribing to the things we see as well.

hansp77
07-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Fairwell Jekyll, you seem to be an interesting and nice guy who we never hear enough from, I honestly wish you the best,
Good riddance Hyde. If your better half returns I hope he leaves you behind, or at the least very well hobbled.

Little I know of is less rewarding than engaging with an in-your-face conspiracy nut who cannot cope with the demands of reasonable debate and disagreement, and who resorts to personal attacks. I love good debate. I like a lot of the stuff TylerD would come up with, though I stopped reading the majority of it a while ago because of how he would treat anyone who took the slightest point of difference to him.

If you don't return, all the best Mark, honestly.
As I have done in the past, I wish you the best for your seagoing plans and life in general. I have at many times greatly appreciated what you bring to this forum, but on many many others, been dismayed and angered at the ways you seem bound to do it. It does you no favours, and does even less for the well intentioned ideas you seek to present.

fairwinds,
Hans.

Krunch
07-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Hmmm, great thoughtful post at #28 to help explain, TomM. Thanks.

ETA: Fukket, let's get a lane, Dude.

JimD
07-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Hmmm, great thoughtful post at #28 to help explain, TomM. Thanks.

ETA: Fukket, let's get a lane, Dude.

Hey Krunch, are you the Krunch? The Kaptain?

JimD
07-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Yeah, for example, Ish only logs onto the forum when he's naked. Or is that nude? Whatever...

Paul Girouard
07-03-2009, 12:38 AM
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

I see no evidence that Mark was banned, just that a bunch of his paranoid rants were removed. He's sulking. His rants are like a mini-denial-of-service attack, cluttering up the place so you can't find the real stuff. Even Jack is more sane. I'm not surprised that someone saw fit to tidy up. But Mark will be back.

When you threaten to hold your breath until you turn blue, eventually you have to let it go, even if it's because you passed out. Then you start breathing again.

Dan

Ya, it seemed to work that way for Norman. :D

The Bigfella
07-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Yeah, for example, Ish only logs onto the forum when he's naked. Or is that nude? Whatever...

is that why there are so many questions, so little>?

peter radclyffe
07-03-2009, 01:32 AM
Oh God, more ass kissing. Click on "The WoodenBoat Forum" count the difference between threads and post in The Bilge and every other section.

If it wasn't for the bilge the wbf would just be a bunch of people asking if they can use house paint on their boat.

It's a two way street, we rats are not somehow inferior. We're what keeps the place alive.
what house paint can i use on my boat

peter radclyffe
07-03-2009, 01:35 AM
i thought you were proud of dutch, he built new york

peter radclyffe
07-03-2009, 01:40 AM
this is so true Tom, the silence on the net provides us with the time to reflect & consider our responses carefully without the peer pressure of a bar or street say

ShagRock
07-03-2009, 02:22 AM
the silence on the net provides us with the time to reflect & consider our responses carefully without the peer pressure of a bar or street say

That's an interesting concept to consider Peter. I'm not so sure that the silence-time dimension is much different on the net; even though it's limited to verbal behavior in the 'written word'. I think it might help if the forum had some definite guidelines for such...maybe?

bob winter
07-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I don't give a rat's ass if Mark was abrasive or not. The question, as far as I am concerned, is can someone other than Scot, or another employee of WoodenBoat, delete or alter posts or threads.

I see Mark has not logged in since he posted his farewell thread yesterday morning. I have been in touch with him by email and he advises he has better things to do.

stevebaby
07-03-2009, 08:24 AM
You're a newbie. I used to hold that title.:pI coulda bin a contender.

Wild Dingo
07-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Must admit I gave up reading his doom and gloom threads awhile back... the thing that really gets up my nose is the comment about someone emailing him that he wasnt welcome at WBF do's this included the EBS... which is just pure bullshyte! Mark like anyone else on this forum is and always will be made welcome at any WBF and EBS... this from the pubmeister himself.

Its incredible to me that ANYONE here can take it upon themselves to be the determiner of who can or cannot attend any EBS or do that they themselves are not the organizer of.

mind you its incredible that someone like Mark (or anyone else for that matter) would take any notice of an email like that... I mean I know he had a personal invitation to the EBS and personally I was looking forward to meeting him in person just as I was everyone else Ive met... yet he took that anomynous email as gospel and didnt attend?

Anyway aside from all that...

All the best Mark I hope the world turns out to be a great place for you and yours.

Weather or not we "like" someone on here doesnt mean we shouldnt at least take the opportunity to meet them in person... who knows they might acutally be able to teach us something if not then at least youve met them!

And Donn? I was wondering what happened to the old grumpy arsed Donn... you been on sabatical? good to see you again :cool:

Cuyahoga Chuck
07-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I've only been on a few bulletin boards that allowed freewheeling bantaring and most got eliminated because one or more posters used them to incessently air personal rants.
Scott lets us get away with a lot and banishment is prefered to elimination of this whole site.
I like having a place to shoot my mouth off and if I have to practice constriant to be able to post here I'll try to do do it.

Larks
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Must admit I gave up reading his doom and gloom threads awhile back... the thing that really gets up my nose is the comment about someone emailing him that he wasnt welcome at WBF do's this included the EBS... which is just pure bullshyte! Mark like anyone else on this forum is and always will be made welcome at any WBF and EBS... this from the pubmeister himself.

Its incredible to me that ANYONE here can take it upon themselves to be the determiner of who can or cannot attend any EBS or do that they themselves are not the organizer of.

mind you its incredible that someone like Mark (or anyone else for that matter) would take any notice of an email like that... I mean I know he had a personal invitation to the EBS and personally I was looking forward to meeting him in person just as I was everyone else Ive met... yet he took that anomynous email as gospel and didnt attend?

Anyway aside from all that...

All the best Mark I hope the world turns out to be a great place for you and yours.

Weather or not we "like" someone on here doesnt mean we shouldnt at least take the opportunity to meet them in person... who knows they might acutally be able to teach us something if not then at least youve met them!

And Donn? I was wondering what happened to the old grumpy arsed Donn... you been on sabatical? good to see you again :cool:

Well said Shane!

The Bigfella
07-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Meanwhile...

Another previously pessimistic economic commentator shed his bear suit. Nouriel Roubini, a NYU professor said that the economy would emerge from recession toward the end of 2009. Roubini however has subsequently said his comments were taken out of context. Also known as Dr Doom, Roubini is regarded as having predicted the credit crisis.

Don't tell me his sources dried up, so that's why he left?

pcford
07-16-2009, 10:53 PM
One of the mysterious things of this life is how a person becomes a member of an online community to whom people attach positive feelings....and in particular why some would wish the pitiful paranoid Tylerdude's rants back here again.

People are strange.

Larks
07-16-2009, 11:31 PM
People are strange.

No, some people simply have some compassion and humanity

pcford
07-17-2009, 12:03 AM
No, some people simply have some compassion and humanity

Is that what you call it? There is a limit to the number of insults I will take and still regard someone positively. If that means I lack compassion, well, so be it.

If you are implying that the guy is truly mentally defective, that something else entirely. I might be mistaken, but I don't feel that way. Just an unpleasant character. But perhaps more important, not very entertaining.

oznabrag
07-17-2009, 12:08 AM
There is a limit to the number of insults I will take and still regard someone positively.

Even Newbies?

pcford
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Even Newbies?

Insults from newbies? Don't understand.

oznabrag
07-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Insults to newbies, and no, I don't reckon you do.

pcford
07-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Insults to newbies, and no, I don't reckon you do.

You don't seem to be making a lot of sense, but have a pleasant evening.

oznabrag
07-17-2009, 12:25 AM
You don't seem to be making a lot of sense, but have a pleasant evening.

Neither do you, but I hope you have a pleasant evening, yourself.

pcford
07-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Neither do you, but I hope you have a pleasant evening, yourself.

Ah, I remember, you were the guy talking tough on the infamous 50ft. thread. I went back and read some of it. If that is what is troubling your febrile brow, you might go back and read the thread yourself.

The people that needed correction were those that were advising the newcomer to rush and buy the boat. There were several that were advising caution; generally speaking these were the more experienced. Somehow you took offense to this and stated something about treating someone to a 2x4 to the kidneys. You furthermore said that if you produced enough cash you could get a person to work on a rotten and hopeless project. I cannot speak for others but I can tell you that I have turned down that kind of work. I believe that most of the professionals that I know would do the same. It's bad business for the repair guy after all.

There was some strong feelings on the thread. In my estimation they were directed toward the people advising jumping in on a rather dubious boat. In any event, I think a rereading of the thread will find my advice to be well considered. And I stand by it.

oznabrag
07-17-2009, 01:17 AM
[quote=oznabrag;2259188...I hope you have a pleasant evening, yourself.[/quote]

:):):D

LeeG
07-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Not to whip a dead horse, but Mark is one of us, with the same right to be here as the rest of us who obey the rules.

except he doesn't, so he isn't. Even the dog killer can manage to stay between the lines.

jack grebe
07-17-2009, 06:57 AM
He'll be back..........oh wait, his light is on now................