PDA

View Full Version : Watching a person die

ishmael
07-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I told this story a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it's been on my mind.

A summer evening, about this time of year, we had a friend over for dinner. A very pleasant woman, a friend of my mother. We're just about to sit down to eat when there was a commotion out front. We all went to see what was happening, and there was a kid lying in the street, a twisted bicycle next to him. The SOB in the car hadn't stopped.

My mother's friend was an RN. She knew not move him. There was nothing much she could do. The kid was terrified, wide awake, didn't know what was going on. The woman knelt next to him, stroked his hair, and said it was going to be OK. Before the ambulance arrived the light went out of his eyes.

I know death comes to us all. Both my parents are dead, my brother is dead. But that's the only time I've watched it happen, actually watched the light go out of a person's eyes. One moment there was this terrified kid lying in the road all busted up, and the next he was gone.

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Now tell us a morbid story, Jack!

StevenBauer
07-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Are you okay, Jack?

Steven

John of Phoenix
07-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you okay, Jack?

Steven
No kidding.

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I assume Jack is just being Jack, looking for the poetry in all things, even death.
At least I hope so!:)

LeeG
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Jesus effing Christ someone should slap you silly for finding meaning through stories on an anonymous forum. The moment anyone comes up with validating stories for you to suck off of you'll dissapear with a flip, "I'm over it!". I'm guessing you're wondering if anyone will witness your passing, maybe, maybe not.

now what?

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 01:23 PM
"now what?"
Jack will delete the thread?

ishmael
07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm OK. Just telling stories, mostly true ones. That's my metier. I hope I told that one well and true. It deserves good telling. You tell me if it rang true or not.

That boy deserves nothing less. It was true as near as I could come, and it has affected me ever since I watched him die. Watching the light grow dim, then go out, isn't something you forget.

LeeG
07-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Jack, it "rings true". You are real, you exist.

Now what?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I know the feeling. One minute, Tylerbirdie was here cut and pasting... then he was gone.

StevenBauer
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Jack, I meant what I asked above. Are things alright with you? Should we be worried? You've mentioned some health issues and your posts seem a little different. What's up?

Steven

Chris Coose
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
He's really wondering whether he'll be hauled off in an ambulance, put on life support for a brief time and then rolled to the morgue or if it will be coroner making the bedside pronouncement and a direct shippment to the morgue.

The former depends on somebody finding him with a pulse.
The latter is probably one of us calling the cops after we notice his absense for a couple months.

huisjen
07-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Where I grew up there was this little asswipe named Joel. His parents were obese and didn't have the time to tend to him, so they'd clip him out on a cable and pulley dog run in the back yard. Eventually he learned to reach around and un-clip himself, then he'd wander around the neighborhood wearing this dog harness thing.

Within a couple years he took to "borrowing" this other kid's bike. One day he rode straight out into Main Street on it, right in front of a semi. I was told of this a couple of minutes after it happened, but by the time I got there they'd scraped most of him up with a spatula and they were hosing the rest of him off the semi's wheels and into the storm drain. His parents were sad but none of us other kids particularly cared.

Joel's parents never did replace the ruined bike.

What the hell is "metier"? Did I tell that one well and true Jack? You got our attention, but then so did Joel some days. How will the rest of the world react when they're "washing you off the semi's wheels"?

Dan

Glen Longino
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
That story is sooo sad, Dan! I barely got through it without LMAO, even if it is true!
metier is like forte----some activity that one excels at

Tom Montgomery
07-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm curious: do ya'll think you are somehow helping Jack? Do you believe expressions of contempt, ridicule and insult amounts to "tough love" that will benefit him?

Or are you simply fed up with him as a human being? In that case I would think ignoring him by not opening his threads would be the most effective choice.

You see, I have the feeling some of you enjoy sticking it to Jack at every opportunity. That it has evolved into a form of entertainment.

huisjen
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
If that's the definition then Jack misuses the word. Yes, the story is all true.

Dan

huisjen
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Tom, Jack is a writer. I'm a critic. It's that simple.

Dan

LeeG
07-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes Tom, I think I"m helping Jack. I'm recognizing his existance. That is the basis for his posts. If you look into any of his posts over the years the content of his posts evaporates fairly soon once it's addressed. At least posts like these with ghoulish appearances don't lead into his memories of sexual attraction between pre-pubescent children.

BTW Jack is fine, his proliferation of new "what stories do you have?" is a clue he's feeling chipper and excited with potential decisions.

bobbys
07-02-2009, 03:57 PM
I told this story a couple of weeks ago, but for some reason it's been on my mind.

A summer evening, about this time of year, we had a friend over for dinner. A very pleasant woman, a friend of my mother. We're just about to sit down to eat when there was a commotion out front. We all went to see what was happening, and there was a kid lying in the street, a twisted bicycle next to him. The SOB in the car hadn't stopped.

My mother's friend was an RN. She knew not move him. There was nothing much she could do. The kid was terrified, wide awake, didn't know what was going on. The woman knelt next to him, stroked his hair, and said it was going to be OK. Before the ambulance arrived the light went out of his eyes.

I know death comes to us all. Both my parents are dead, my brother is dead. But that's the only time I've watched it happen, actually watched the light go out of a person's eyes. One moment there was this terrified kid lying in the road all busted up, and the next he was gone..

Now im very sad and i wuz having a good day, Im gonna go hug my puppy now:(

Rigadog
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Weird...