X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ishmael
    Banned
    • Jun 2000

Called or not, God is there

I can't remember where that comes from, the root, but Jung had it inscribed over the door to his retreat. I know, I know, people get tired of me talking about Jung, but what a cool thing to have inscribed over the door to your retreat!

The ghost thread is what got me thinking on it. Unless you're a necromancer you don't call up the spirits, but called or not they are there.

We better start recognizing the roots of our emotions, our thoughts, in this nether world.

We like to think of ourselves as in control, whereas the truth of our actions is far from it for most of us -- me included -- most moments.

Peace Brothers.

P.S. I just received a surprise letter in the mail. It's from a shipmate of Pop's. I've gotten into a circle of veterans from WW II who were together with my dad. He included some photographs. One shows Pop with his fellow officers, lolling on the beach, probably in the Philippines, each with a freshly cracked can of beer in their hand. They are all grinning. A bit of R n R.

It was so nice of this guy, who I don't know from Adam, to send it. It made my day.
  • Nanoose
    • Mar 2006

Re: Called or not, God is there

I've seen it as, "Bidden or not bidden, God is present"
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Comment

• bobbys
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by ishmael
      I can't remember where that comes from, the root, but Jung had it inscribed over the door to his retreat. I know, I know, people get tired of me talking about Jung, but what a cool thing to have inscribed over the door to your retreat!

The ghost thread is what got me thinking on it. Unless you're a necromancer you don't call up the spirits, but called or not they are there.

We better start recognizing the roots of our emotions, our thoughts, in this nether world.

We like to think of ourselves as in control, whereas the truth of our actions is far from it for most of us -- me included -- most moments.

Peace Brothers.

P.S. I just received a surprise letter in the mail. It's from a shipmate of Pop's. I've gotten into a circle of veterans from WW II who were together with my dad. He included some photographs. One shows Pop with his fellow officers, lolling on the beach, probably in the Philippines, each with a freshly cracked can of beer in their hand. They are all grinning. A bit of R n R.

It was so nice of this guy, who I don't know from Adam, to send it. It made my day.

I would like to see the pics if it should please you to do that!

Comment

• Kaa
        Wanderer
        • Sep 2006

Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

This is actually a statement that Jung discovered among the Latin writings of Desiderius Erasmus, who declared the statement had been an ancient Spartan proverb. Jung popularized it, having it inscribed over the doorway of his house, and upon his tomb.
        (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Carl_Jung)

Kaa

Comment

• ishmael
          Banned
          • Jun 2000

Now that you mention it, he he, it was on the door lintel to his home, not his retreat.

I don't think he used Latin. A few years ago and I could have told you just what the language was, but I don't think it was Latin.

Regardless, it is an interesting sentiment. It says, to me, that at each moment, even as we go about our business, are distracted by other things, this thing we call God is present.

Late in his life Jung consented to an interview by the BBC. It's worth a look. I believe it's presented as a film called "A Matter of Heart."

A great man. Questing right to the end.

Comment

• Kaa
            Wanderer
            • Sep 2006

(http://home.vicnet.net.au/~jungsoc/photos.html)

Kaa

Comment

• ishmael
              Banned
              • Jun 2000

As usual these days, I stand corrected.

Comment

Working...