PDA

View Full Version : US vs Brasil

Dave Gray
06-28-2009, 03:10 PM
I don't have ESPN. Just checked on line, the score is 2-2, with the US scoring two goals in the first half. Hope they hang on!

Dave Gray
06-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Rats, Brasil won 3-2. Kudos to the US for rallying back from being eliminated in the first round.

The Bigfella
06-28-2009, 05:37 PM
An amazing result.

bamamick
06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Just had dinner with my soccer expert: my 21 year old daughter who played about 12 years of soccer before heading off to college (we had always thought she would walk-on at college but she never did). She was blown away that the US didn't hold that lead, and to be honest I am as well. You'd think that you could block things up enough to stop three goals in a half no matter how good the other team. Kudos to the Brasilians for doing what everyone thought they would (Yahoo Sports had a poll asking how people thought the game would go. 23% thought the US would win).

I really don't know where this leaves the US team. Honestly I don't see us as any sort of threat in international competition regardless of the win over Spain, but if you are a fervent supporter of the US international team I suppose you have to be encouraged.

Mickey Lake

Uncle Duke
06-28-2009, 08:20 PM
You'd think that you could block things up enough to stop three goals in a half...
Four, actually - the one that Howard batted out from inside the goal was obviously inside, on TV-replay.
My hope was that the U.S. would not be embarrassed - and they certainly were not. A great effort against a superior team.

Honestly I don't see us as any sort of threat in international competition regardless of the win over Spain, but if you are a fervent supporter of the US international team I suppose you have to be encouraged.
I am a fervent supporter - but I don't think we are quite at the "threat" level yet. One more generation, though, and we will be very strong. We are just now starting to see a pool of people who know soccer well, who are acting as coaches in youth leagues, high schools, college, etc. The product of these coaches (as opposed to the vastly clueless coaching from my generation) will become very good indeed.

A friend from Europe once said to me: "You think Europeans hate Americans now? Just wait until the U.S. wins the World Cup - that will send people over the edge!".:D

Dave Gray
06-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I remember my coach, a Welshman, showing us a film of Real Madrid playing Manchester United (I think) for the European cup. I am hazy about the year but it might have been 1960, 1956? I think back then clubs represented the countries with national talent rather than having a national team.

The Spanish team was laden with players that played all over the globe and were heavily favored. In the first half, the British team scored three, perhaps four goals, Spain nothing. The announcers were apoplectic. In the second half the Spanish put on a clinic, winning seven to three (or four). In the final ten or so minutes of the game you could see the demoralized British on their third of the field playing defense while the Spanish casually flicked the ball around the perimeter, showing off their best moves.

It was an amazing film to watch and I still remember it, if somewhat murkily, over thirty years later.