PDA

View Full Version : Steering repair

geeman
03-16-2006, 07:17 PM
On our boat we have and old push/pull steering system.Someone (not me) installed a system for a 16 or 18 foot boat on a 14 footer.this boat will never see more the maybe 10 knots in the future as long as I own it so,,,,,,,Is there any way to cut through and shorten the cable without replacing it,keeping in mind that it'l never see a huge demand on it with the trolling motor set up we have. This is due to budget demands so we can get on the water this year and not have to set another year out.thanks guys.

ssor
03-16-2006, 08:59 PM
You just want to cut the cable?

geeman
03-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Ssor,, what we need to do is,,end up with the cable about 2 to 3 feet shorter then it is.I know thats not the proper way to go about solving the problem but due to wifes illnesses, and mine,money is a bit tight ,,( truth is ,,we dont know how long she will hold out health wise) so we dont want to miss another minute on the water that we can.If that makes any sense at all .I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the cable and then splice it back together and still have a safe steering set up,,considering the boat will only be moving on the average 3 to 4 knots.

epoxyboy
03-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Assuming the existing cable is in good condition , can you do something quick and dirty like a nice big radius loop somewhere, or put a few big zigzags in the cable route to use up the extra length?

Pete

bainbridgeisland
03-16-2006, 11:21 PM
Sorry to hear your Wife is not well. I can certainly understand how budget concerns can be a problem.

Others in the Forum may know better but I have never seen a push-pull OB motor steering cable shortened.

How long of a cable do you need? I may be able to scrounge one up for you (I have an extra that sombody really ought to use).

geeman
03-16-2006, 11:35 PM
I didnt mean to sound morbid guys,,,sorry about that.The wife had a heart attack summer before last and had to go back for another stent a cple months after that,,she now has a small blockage that they dont make a stent small enough to fit.So she always tired,As much as I'd like to think we'l be together forever,,life is not like that always. So that is the reason what I guess is almost a panic/manic wish to get out on the water.Our boat is a 14 ft runabout which had the even older pull cable steering just before I picked the boat up from the used car lot several years ago.WE ran a 55hp johnson on it for 3 years until the motor said it was too tired to do another season.3 summers ago i mounted a trolling motor on the transom that a friend gave us to get us back out there,,that was pre heart attack,last summer wife was afraid to get out on the water (afraid she'd get sick n I wouldnt be able to get her back in time. this year shes decided much as I have I think,,tho we havent discussed it in "it might be our last year terms" . Thanks for the offer of the cable Bainbridge! but your way over on the left coast,,a little too far lol.Maybe it wont be our last year,,but that lil panic feeling keeps me up nite with U guys .Not that your THAT bad a company lol I dont know how a push pull cable is built,,so i dont know if it feasable to try a cut/splice operation on it.

geeman
03-16-2006, 11:39 PM
My whole last post looked like 1 of those ""HELP ME I"M BROKE N NEED HELP" things we see all the time Know that I didnt mean it that way at all,We're fine ,,just need some suggestions on how to do a work around on something ya shouldnt work around in the 1st place lol

Mike Vogdes
03-17-2006, 06:32 AM
What size cable do you need? I think I have one laying around somewhere.

geeman
03-17-2006, 10:40 AM
Well the boat is a 14 footer,,do I need to measure from a certain point to point?Never installed 1 before,,And if i get yours <<let me know how much you need for it.thanks guys

geeman
03-17-2006, 10:43 AM
OOOPS,,entire post ,didnt,,it left off "if I get yours ,,how much do you want for it"?

paladin
03-17-2006, 11:10 AM
get a piece of water hose and run it from the steering station along the route that you would use to run the steering cable...measure the cable to within 6-8 inches to allow for the place where the movable part exits....a quick and easy way to measure. Cutting and resplicing a morse steering cable is not practical without the proper tools...

geeman
03-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Paladin,,thanks,,something like that is what I was thinking I might try.I have some left over flex hose that might work for that.Agreed ,,not the perfect solution,but considering the almost ""no speeds" we'll be going,,I just might be able to rig a reasonably safe system.3 or 4 knots aint gonna get us there fast,,but when we're on the water ,,we're in no hurry anyway.We just want to be out there flying our state flag n stars n stripes ,,with my jaunty capt's hat on ,steering with my home made wooden wheel,silently crusing along watching the rest of the world go by.