PDA

View Full Version : I hope I'm not the only one...

Captain Intrepid
06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
...who falls to pieces during the last scene in Blackadder series 4. It never ceases to amaze me the perfect poignancy it captures. Right from the moment Darling shows up at the front lines I start to lose it, and my the time they share their final words, I'm bawling my eyes out. I just finished watching it again about 15 minutes ago and I'm still pulling myself together...

oznabrag
06-26-2009, 07:19 PM
My God, man, get ahold of yourself!

Pugwash
06-26-2009, 07:31 PM
"I have a cunning plan....."

Aye.

No youtube needed.

One of the best.

Captain Intrepid
06-26-2009, 07:41 PM
"I have a cunning plan....."

Well, I am afraid it will have to wait. Whatever it was, I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here? Good luck, everyone.

For those who haven't seen it, it's well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ba-64h6d6Q

Pugwash
06-26-2009, 07:52 PM
For those who haven't seen it, it's well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ba-64h6d6Q

Well, you have to watch Blackadder 1,2,3 &4.

To appreciate the relationship between Baldrick and Blackadder.

But then "going over the top" was a thought that always brought me out in a cold sweat. So maybe you don't have to.

Captain Intrepid
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, you have to watch Blackadder 1,2,3 &4.

To appreciate the relationship between Baldrick and Blackadder.

But then "going over the top" was a thought that always brought me out in a cold sweat. So maybe you don't have to.

Yeah, the history between the characters does add a lot, but in the end, it's the aweful bloody pointless mess that war is, and wwi was in particular that gets me.

seanz
06-26-2009, 08:08 PM
"The Great War, 1914 to 1917"

That line always got me.

bobbys
06-27-2009, 12:53 AM
...who falls to pieces during the last scene in Blackadder series 4. It never ceases to amaze me the perfect poignancy it captures. Right from the moment Darling shows up at the front lines I start to lose it, and my the time they share their final words, I'm bawling my eyes out. I just finished watching it again about 15 minutes ago and I'm still pulling myself together....

I have never seen this show, Is it a Weekly show in England????.

I get Summer wine, Or at least i think thats the name a bunch of older people with there antics, Im starting to like it or at least i like to see the town and country.

Captain Intrepid
06-27-2009, 02:11 AM

I have never seen this show, Is it a Weekly show in England????.

I get Summer wine, Or at least i think thats the name a bunch of older people with there antics, Im starting to like it or at least i like to see the town and country.

Yeah. The wikipedia explanation is pretty good.

"Although each series is set in a different time era, all follow the fortunes (or rather, misfortunes) of Edmund Blackadder (played by [Rowan[ Atkinson), who in each is a member of an English family dynasty present at many significant periods and places in British history. Although the character starts as being quite unintelligent in the first series and gradually becomes smarter and more perceptive through each passing generation (while decreasing in social status), each Blackadder is a cynical, cowardly opportunist concerned with maintaining and increasing his own status and fortunes, regardless of his surroundings. In each series, Blackadder is usually a cynical (almost modern) voice puncturing the pretensions and stupidity of those around him, and what might through modern eyes be seen as the more ludicrous and insane follies of history (from the medieval religious witch-hunts and the petty whims and insanities of various British monarchs to the bloodshed and horror of World War I).
The lives of each of the Blackadders are also entwined with their servants, all from the Baldrick family line (played by Tony Robinson). Each generation acts as the dogsbody to their respective Blackadder. They decrease in intelligence (and in personal hygiene standards) just as their masters' intellect increases. Each Blackadder and Baldrick are also saddled with the company of a dim-witted aristocrat whose presence Blackadder must somehow tolerate. This role was taken in the first two series by Lord Percy Percy (Tim McInnerny), in the third series by Prince George, Prince Regent, and in the fourth by Lieutenant George, the latter two played by Hugh Laurie."

Peerie Maa
06-27-2009, 08:45 AM
Yeah. The wikipedia explanation is pretty good.

"The lives of each of the Blackadders are also entwined with their servants, all from the Baldrick family line (played by Tony Robinson). Each generation acts as the dogsbody to their respective Blackadder. They decrease in intelligence (and in personal hygiene standards) just as their masters' intellect increases. "

That Wiki must have been written by Baldrick's grandson.:D My recollection is that Baldrick maintained the same ground zero level of intelligence, and if his culinary standards in "B4" were anything to go by his hygene did not improve iether.

Must watch series, Queen and Nurse in B2 were brilliant, as was the presence of Steven Fry and cameos by Rick Mayall.

isla
06-27-2009, 10:19 AM
...who falls to pieces during the last scene in Blackadder series 4. It never ceases to amaze me the perfect poignancy it captures. Right from the moment Darling shows up at the front lines I start to lose it, and my the time they share their final words, I'm bawling my eyes out. I just finished watching it again about 15 minutes ago and I'm still pulling myself together...

No you're not alone, it chokes me too. When they go over the top it is silent and the screen fills with poppies. For a comedy show to have such a moving scene is quite remarkable.