PDA

View Full Version : Car stereos

BarnacleGrim
06-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I went to Media Markt, shopping for a new car stereo today, the old one is in pretty lousy condition.

What kind of car stereos do they make nowadays? Most of them seem to be made for people who somehow got a driver's license in spite of having a mental age of 6! Annoying blue lights, flashing displays, badly placed buttons, ungraspable dials and generally tacky design.

I want something nice, clean with red light to match the instrument panel, with MP3 and AAC playback, and RDS radio with traffic announcements. Where can I find something like this?

Dan McCosh
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Might buy a new car. Such features are pretty much standard these days, from suppliers like Bose, Infiniti and Alpine.

Popeye
06-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Might buy a new car. Such features are pretty much standard these daysyup , and order up a gps / dvd and bluetooth while you're at it

forget xm

Dan McCosh
06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Truthfully, the main issue with ordering a factory installation is the integration into the instrument panel--aftermarket kits tend to look a bit undone.

Popeye
06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
my bud got a indash back-up camera built in on his new nissan , surprisingly useful with lining up a trailer hitch

Paul Pless
06-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Might buy a new car. Such features are pretty much standard these days, from suppliers like Bose, Infiniti and Alpine.
yup , and order up a gps / dvd and bluetooth while you're at it

forget xmor just get an iphone

Tylerdurden
06-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Depending n the make and model some very good factory units are available at your auto wrecking yard. I am of the same ilk as far as the new stuff goes so I found that my year model is current with the new stuff available in later models. If you have already chopped the wiring pick up the factory mollex and ask a local mechanic for a print out of radio wiring from Alldata.

BarnacleGrim
06-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I'm not quite sure what factory unit the 1995 Audi A6 had, but I'm sure it's not the Pioneer I have now. It's 1 DIN height, but the original must have had a wider bezel. I'd like a nice, clean look for my car, but the original unit must be quite outdated by now.

I really need a head unit that's not made for a boy racer. I need one that won't look too out of place in an old executive car.

Edit:
http://www.pioneer.se/images/products/caraudio/pioneer/deh2100ub_main1_gallery.jpg
These Pioneers - although tacky - are the least so that I have found so far. And they do come in red. No AAC, though, which is really stupid seeing it's just a software issue.

Wayne Jeffers
06-24-2009, 02:41 PM
I recently bought my first aftermarket car radio, for my old pickup truck. The cassette player in the OEM unit crapped out and I wanted a CD player.

I discovered that some models also play music written to a flash drive. Cool! Hours of music and no changing media. Works great, except . . .

It has a little multi-control that is essentially impossible to operate with 60-year-old, slightly arthritic hands. :( This multi-control is some flat little disk on a stem that is barely standing proud of the face of the unit. Itís a Pioneer unit similar to the one that BarnacleGrim posted. I am supposed to turn this disk to change volume, tilt left-and-right or up-and-down to control various things. Around the perimeter at the base of this disk is a ring that changes other things when you touch it in different places. There is no way I can change the sound level with this thing without mucking up something else, especially if I am driving down the road. (Admittedly, a ĺ-ton truck doesnít provide the smoothest ride for attempting this operation, but still . . .)

The thing came with a remote control. My first reaction was that the remote was a waste; if I want to change something, the radio itself is within armís reach. Wrong! The little remote is the only way Iíve found that I can turn the sound up or down, change channels, etc., without making a mess of things.

/Rant

Wayne

Tylerdurden
06-24-2009, 02:48 PM
If you email these guys they may have some ideas for you.

http://replacementradios.com/

1 din is hard to find these days in what you are looking for but some of the earlier premiums may do it.

BarnacleGrim
06-24-2009, 03:03 PM
I am supposed to turn this disk to change volume, tilt left-and-right or up-and-down to control various things. Around the perimeter at the base of this disk is a ring that changes other things when you touch it in different places. There is no way I can change the sound level with this thing without mucking up something else, especially if I am driving down the road.
That's why I want to try out all the knobs in the store before I buy it. Some of these are not only annoying, but downright dangerous to put in a car.

I was just out to have a look at it. I pulled out the head unit, which uncovered a terrible mess of cut-off wires everywhere. Whoever installed that thing did an awful job. That must be why the front speakers aren't working. But I've been putting off fixing it for so long now.

cs
06-24-2009, 03:47 PM
I have one similar to the one below and it is great. It doesn't light up like a Christmas tree and the remote has bigger buttons and is easy to use.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9284/9284892_sa.jpg

Chad

Wayne Jeffers
06-25-2009, 06:43 PM
That's why I want to try out all the knobs in the store before I buy it. . .

Excellent advice. I wish I had thought of that before I bought.

Anyhow, I was in a big box store today and happened to pass by the display of car stereos, the kind where they have one of each mounted to a display and you can try them. I discovered a couple of Sony models in the display which 1) donít overwhelm with the lights, etc., and 2) have controls which seem straight-forward and easy to use.

. . . the remote has bigger buttons and is easy to use.

Sure, but it ought not require a remote. Besides, my remote is about the size of a credit card and itís hard to keep track of it in the truck. I stuck the hook side of a glue-on Velcro strip on the back of it. This causes it to stick a bit to the fabric seatcover. Still a PITA, IMO.

Wayne

Beowolf
06-25-2009, 07:33 PM
It seems like most of the radios that have all the features that you're looking for usually come with the ability to change colors to match you car's gauge lighting.

Here's some quick snaps of the system that I installed about a year and a half ago. I bought the pioneer unit that has the iPod integration prebuilt into it. I keep an iPod in the glove box and listen to it and NPR exclusively.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Z7X9UlIdDso/R8BDzhDTARI/AAAAAAAAAfU/hWIClhTkZb8/s576/IMG_0874.JPG

I opted for a dash adapter kit with a pocket built into the blank space. It's a great place to keep the remote control. The remote has more controls than the head unit and it's fairly intuitive, even with the iPod controls, after about 1 hour of use.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Z7X9UlIdDso/R8BD0hDTASI/AAAAAAAAAfc/QSQo374oZio/s576/IMG_0875.JPG

These speakers went in at all four corners to replace the factory units whose foam surrounds had deteriorated.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Z7X9UlIdDso/R8BD1xDTATI/AAAAAAAAAfk/RA_UdgOYHjk/s576/IMG_0876.JPG

I designed and built the sub enclosure to bolt securely to the front wall of the trunk, use a minimum of trunk volume, and provide space to mount the amps. I've still got room for a week's worth of groceries for a family of four. (But it's best if the eggs ride up front with me!!! :eek:)

BarnacleGrim
06-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Not bad. What model car is that?

I thought I'd replace the factory mounted 6x9 rear speakers, and once I can find the wires I'll see if the front ones are still good to go. I don't think I'll need a subwoofer or any extra amplification, but that should be easy enough to put in later. I looked at a few Sony models, they look a bit less futuristic, which may be just as good in a 14 year old car.

Beowolf
06-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Most of the reviews that I read when I was researching this panned on the Sony models. It seems it's one end of the electronics market where they are hoping that brand name alone will carry them.

Beowolf
06-25-2009, 08:53 PM
also, it's a '99 Nissan Altima. It's my daily commuter. Not much to look at from the outside, but like people, it's what's inside that counts. ;)