PDA

View Full Version : oreders from Classic Marine

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
05-23-2002, 11:26 AM
I just ordered a masthead and a stern oil lamp from classic marine in Britain. do any of you guys have any idea how long this takes to get to the eastern half of the US? I have never ordered from Europe before.

Thad

Ken Hall
05-23-2002, 11:38 AM
Did you remember to order extra stern oil? ;) (sorry, the thread over in Misc. is starting to escape)

Don Olney
05-23-2002, 11:50 AM
Depends upon how you had it shipped. I seem to recall that my stuff took less than 2 weeks to NYC.

Classic Marine can give you an estimate on the delivery time.

info@classicmarine.co.uk

Don Maurer
05-23-2002, 12:26 PM
I've ordered from them twice. The first time was last November and took over a month to clear customs, but that was right after 9/11 and during the christmas season. The second time, last January arrived much quicker, maybe 2 weeks.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
05-23-2002, 02:08 PM
If you have any problems, let me know and I will drop in and abuse them - I used to live over the road from them, but I am now about half a mile away! They are excellent people.

casem
05-23-2002, 05:27 PM
I've made two orders over the last 6 months and both arrived within two weeks.

NormMessinger
05-23-2002, 05:37 PM
Don't remember but it was not very long. Two weeks sounds about right. They refused to ship to me one time. They said, you don't need to buy these from us since we import them from the US, and then proceeded to give me the name of the US mfg.

Good people!

--Norm

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
05-24-2002, 06:50 AM
This all sounds like good stuff!

Sometime I just feel like going to Britain on a boat shopping trip. It seems like all of the cool stuff Is sold over there and not here!

Ian G Wright
05-24-2002, 05:43 PM
Anyone who pops over here to enjoy buying all our good stuff,,,,,,,,,, please bring a gallon each of Teka A and B and a couple of pounds of TSP.
Give me a few more days notice and I'll add a few dozen items to the list.

IanW.

JMB
05-26-2002, 04:32 PM
No question there are a lot of great boats on the East Coast -- and boatyards. Just bring a Herreshoff or Concordia over -- They'd fit in nicely.

Meerkat
05-27-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Ian G Wright:
Anyone who pops over here to enjoy buying all our good stuff,,,,,,,,,, please bring a gallon each of Teka A and B and a couple of pounds of TSP.
IanW.Don't forget bushels of cash too. While all those great used boats tend to be inexpensive even when converted to US $, I get the distinct impression (from reading Watercraft and the occasional Classic Boat) that wood, metal, paint and putty (as it where) are all tend to have higher numbers even before you convert from pounds to dollars. I wonder if you go over to the <ahem> mainland if the stuff isn't cheaper - like you guys do for plonk ;)

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
05-28-2002, 07:02 AM
you can't get Teka over there?

It is made 1 mile from where I grew up in lovely Montgomeryville (monkeyville, Pa)

Hugh Paterson
05-28-2002, 08:04 PM
Thad, and Co, have you had a look at the Davey Catalogue.
Tel No +44 (0)1206 500945
Lots n Lots of goodies to drool over, now if only you could build a boat for all of it?

Shuggie.

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
06-11-2002, 07:58 AM
OK, so It's been three weeks, and the order still isn't here, I have sent these guys 2 e-mails and they aren't responding.

Should I worry?

Thad

jkoutras
06-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Nope, I just spoke with them yesterday. They're still around smile.gif Give 'em a call

Hugh Paterson
06-11-2002, 02:39 PM
Thad, our biggest supplier of stock for UK and worldwide supplies to chandlers, a firm called Sowester/Simpson Lawrence went into liquidation a couple of months back here in "Blighty". The knock on effect has meant that loads n loads of people are having to source items from other outlets direct, and it is causing chaos in delivery timescales, I suspect that might have a wee bit to do with your delayed delivery. I have been waiting for bits n pieces for weeks as well.
:( Four and a half weeks and counting?
See ya

Shuggie.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Thad, I can call in to see them tomorrow morning - just give me something to idnetify your order with. It IS their busiest time of year, which is why emails are not getting replied to just now.

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
06-12-2002, 07:21 AM
The order # is 1163 .

does that help?

I would call myself, but It seems that I would have to call about 2 in the morning, and It would probably cost a fierce amount to do it.

NormMessinger
06-12-2002, 08:24 AM
With the right AT&T calling plan one can call England for a dime a minute. :cool:

--Norm

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
06-12-2002, 08:43 AM
But they speak English over there...

Not our english, ENGLISH english.

I might not know what they are saying.... tongue.gif

Andrew Craig-Bennett
06-12-2002, 03:59 PM
Actually, Moray McPhail is a Scotsman.

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
06-13-2002, 01:14 PM
well that's different...
I do have scotch in my blood!

Bob Cleek
06-13-2002, 04:34 PM
Holey Moley! Simpson Lawrence went in the tank? That's horrible. We're talking Whale Gusher pumps, CQR anchors, Simpson Lawrence windlasses... gee... I'd have thought they ought to be doing well. Time for somebody to buy them up and maybe make a few bucks. I thought they were the bastion of British quality maritime stuff.

BTW, I've seen just about everything that Classic Marine has in there catalog in the Davey and Co. catalog. I've never ordered from Classic, but have had excellent service from Davey all the way out here in CA. I almost thought that Classic Marine was Davey's "classic yacht" subsidiary, or so it seemed. Somebody really ought to duplicate Davey's line here in the USA. If Davey can make a go of it in the UK for the more than 100 (or is it 200) years they've been in business, somebody ought to be able to make of go of it here, no? ANYTHING would be better than WasteMarine! LOL

Meerkat
06-13-2002, 08:00 PM
There's a store in Port Townsend, WA that offers the entire Davies product line. I'll try to find it if there's interest.