PDA

View Full Version : Hatfields and McCoys

George Jung
06-20-2009, 05:16 PM
VW apparently is in position to control or take over Porsche, after Porsche found itself over-leveraged in their attempts to control VW. The recent economic involution may have done them in, and now they find themselves in need of a White Knight. For reasons that aren't clear, apparently VW is the only choice.... and there's no love lost between the two families that control the respective companies. I hadn't realized that the families were related - that somewhere further up the family tree, they share forbearers. The antagonism between the families - pretty incredible; interesting the families with so much intelligence/business savvy couldn't find common ground, at least looking at it superficially.

Anyone in the know? How's this going to affect each company? Will Porsche be taking a dive from the thin-air it occupies in the sportscar niche? Or are all the VW's going to get a boost?

Memphis Mike
06-20-2009, 05:21 PM
They do a very good open air play at a dinner theater of the Hatfields and McCoys at Bechwith WV every year.

JBreeze
06-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Maybe the family feud in business is a uniquely German thing.....two brothers that seem to hate each other formed Adidas and Puma.

"The term "sibling rivalry" doesn't quite do justice to the relationship between German shoemaking brothers Adolf and Rudolf Dassler, proprietors of the German athletic-shoe enterprise known as Dassler Brothers. During World War II, Rudolf was convinced that Adolf, better known as "Adi," contrived to have him sent to serve with German forces in Poland. After the German surrender, Rudolf retaliated by denouncing Adi to the Allies for allegedly assisting the Nazi war effort.

Bizarrely, the bickering brothers continued to share a villa, with their wives and children, in the Bavarian town of Herzogenaurach until 1948, when Rudolf and employees loyal to him formed a rival shoe company called Puma. Adi renamed his outfit Adidas (ADDYY). So great was the animosity between the brothers that the whole town became embroiled. Residents declared their loyalty to either Adidas or Puma according to the shoes they wore and sometimes refused to speak to members of the other side."

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_14/b4078120287801.htm?campaign_id=rss_null

George Jung
06-20-2009, 11:45 PM
JBreeze, that's pretty interesting - I'd never heard that before. Just another example of folks screwing up 'a too good to be true' deal.

Ian McColgin
06-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Is this a different topic from “David vs. Goliath or the other way around” (http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98601)

??

skuthorp
06-21-2009, 10:37 AM
I had the use of a '83 VW with a Porsche motor for some months. It still had VW brakes, somewhat of a handfull.

George Jung
06-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Ian - missed that one (by that much!)

It is, indeed. I'll delete.

skuthorp - that sounds like an anology for what folks were saying about the Dem party pre-election - all 'go' and no brakes! (hehe - it is the bilge). Also reminds me of a lot of motorcycles - the engines can get you into more trouble than the suspension can save you from. But I would've liked to drive that car.

skuthorp
06-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Wasn't too keen on going round corners in the wet or on gravel George, and you had to have soft touch at traffic lights if you wanted to avoid attention. I had it because the owner lost his licence for speeding.

George Jung
06-21-2009, 11:07 AM
:D From what I've read of Aussies, you're all like the guys I knew, as a teen, with hotrods and all....

but you guys didn't make the mistake of 'growing up'. (I'm with ya, btw. Growing up is over-rated)

paladin
06-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I had a '73 super beetle with a reworked engine...My brother in law at the time was working at the plant in Stuttgart, had me ship my super beetle to him on the ferry from Iceland....he was going to "fix it" for me as I used it for some of the "back hills road races"......
I thought he was going with a Porshe engine...he said no....the Porshe engine was already max tuned out as far as it could go and anything eles would destroy it.....however...the VW engine was operating at a small percentage of it's capability except for the crankcase, which was rather light.....he replaced the crankcase with a custom made machined one, with 2250 cc heads and pistons, CD ignition/dual plugs, new cam etc......when I left iceland I had no trouble selling the machine for far more than what was invested....

Rigadog
06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EYdeHflgyIg/RhaCH8nJ9dI/AAAAAAAAAYk/l9J2qwT9T24/s400/capt.b17bb2a688f04066b3b055b3c6e967ed.hatfield_mcc oy_secret_ny121.jpg

Ted Hoppe
06-21-2009, 12:36 PM
As I heard it... Porsche had made most of their money in the financial markets for the past decade. They didn't sideline the money during the recent collapse.
Interesting that they too did not stick to what they were good at. It seems it must be in the car makers DNA to deviate from good practices.