PDA

View Full Version : the student and the teacher

Phillip Allen
06-19-2009, 05:04 PM
This morning, my older brother called and asked for me to come over and help him put a new battery in his old truck. He fried the old one by getting it in with the poles reversed...

When I was a kid, Benny used to get me to help work on the cars and trucks of the family…he knew everything. I learned my mechanics from him and more importantly, my mechanics attitude.

When I was old enough he would take me on river floats and fishing trips. He would tell stories of bear hunting in the Cascade area and of getting lost in the San Juan Islands and many other things…he is 13 years older than me and I always felt like I missed out on wonderful adventures.

In the last 10 or 15 years, we had a falling out…not worth telling of but I have made an effort to reconcile and have felt like steady progress was being made.

We sat at Wal Mart while they installed the new battery as it turned out…had about an hour’s visit in their little air conditioned waiting room (slow mechanic…?).

We left, each for his own home, at about noon today.

I just got a call from our sister…Benny has had a stroke and paralyzed on one side…in hospital of course and everything is being done…

My family is fading fast it seems…one sister dead, one unable to get out of bed, one brother very frail and unable to take care of himself and now another brother in trouble…its down to the three youngest…one sister 64 (very fit…dance competition) the youngest of us (sister) is 56 and me in the middle…I’ll be next…

Hwyl
06-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Wow, good luck to Benny. I hope he recovers fully. Nice that you could get together. Do you think the confusion with the polarity was a sign?

Phillip Allen
06-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow, good luck to Benny. I hope he recovers fully. Nice that you could get together. Do you think the confusion with the polarity was a sign?

no...he has become frail himself and probably put it in on a day when he was too sick to be messing with it...someone had replaced the ground cable with a new...red...cable and Benny just didn't notice till it was too late. His age has been really slowing him down...74, I think. A bricklayer alll his life and it tears up the body

John Smith
06-19-2009, 05:28 PM
no...he has become frail himself and probably put it in on a day when he was too sick to be messing with it...someone had replaced the ground cable with a new...red...cable and Benny just didn't notice till it was too late. His age has been really slowing him down...74, I think. A bricklayer alll his life and it tears up the body
My best wishes. It's hell getting old.

johnw
06-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I hope he gets well. You take care of yourself.

Phillip Allen
06-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Morning:

well...I have two siblings in hospital this morning...Renalda (75): recovering from surgery to remove cancer from colon and Benny (74) from a stroke...interesting times...

Nanoose
06-20-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm so sorry, Phillip.
Strength and peace to you and yours.
Deb

Phillip Allen
06-20-2009, 09:11 AM
thanks to all who have expressed kindness...we all must pass eventually and I've come to take the attitude that it isn't tragedy, it's life

life is short but we tend to not notice this 'till we are on the short end of it

death and suffering is part of life...life is not tragedy...therefore, death and suffering is not tragedy...it's just the way it is

Paul Pless
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
You're in our thoughts Phillip.

Captain Blight
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Deepest sympathies here too, Philip.

Keith Wilson
06-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Very sorry to hear it. None of us get out of here alive, but that doesn't mean we have to like it. Tough stuff.

paladin
06-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Sorry for the news Phillip......just got the news the 8 year old granddaughter has swine flu....

Tom Montgomery
06-20-2009, 04:37 PM
My best wishes to you and yours, Phillip.

ishmael
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Hm. Sorry to hear of Benny's troubles. This life sucks, is trouble, toil, and at the end death. It's also sweetness and light. That opposition is just what we are given, I don't care to make metaphysical assumptions, but there is light in all of it.

Go be with him, as much as you can, Phillip.

skuthorp
06-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Very sorry to hear of your families health problems. Take care of yourself, forget about those 10 extra pounds too.