PDA

View Full Version : Oh Joy repair question

CharlieCobra
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Aft on the Starboard quarter, there's an issue with fitment of the bulwarks. This area had been filled with some type of goop and had come loose. On pulling the screws and spreading the wood apart, I found a gap in the deck to sheer plank join as shown by this photo:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/CharlieCobra03/Refit%206/014.jpg

Should I leave that for air circulation under the repaired bulwarks or seal it up?

Also, when the bulwarks is in place, there's a gap of about 1/4". Any suggestions on filling this? I was thinking of using a piece of mahogany in there and epoxied to both sides or maybe a good wood glue if I ever wanted it to come apart again.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee13/CharlieCobra03/Refit%206/015.jpg

Suggestions here are appreciated as well.

CharlieCobra
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
What? No suggestions, complaints or idle comments?

davidagage
06-18-2009, 07:32 PM
great detail shots..
Can you give us a little bit wider angle. I can't see the forest for the trees.:D
but then again, I cant see the trees except as lumber!:eek:

dg

John B
06-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, you've got an encapsulated boat already Charlie, so you should continue with that principle and fully seal it. Is that apron to be varnished or painted?

CharlieCobra
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
The wood that was bright will be bright again. I suppose I could seal that crack with the stuff from Sanitred for that purpose. It is waterproof, flexible and the best part, that area is out of sight. I was just wondering whether to leave the crack open for drainage to the bilge (by design maybe) or seal it. I suppose since it'll be sealed at the bulwark deck joint and is glassed outboard of the sheer plank, there's no reason to leave it open.

CharlieCobra
06-18-2009, 07:57 PM
great detail shots..
Can you give us a little bit wider angle. I can't see the forest for the trees.:D
but then again, I cant see the trees except as lumber!:eek:

dg

Some of the other Oh Joy threads (and there's a bunch of 'em) have wider shots of the boat.

boattruck
06-18-2009, 08:11 PM
C Cobra, It appears as if this will all get a cap rail on top of it... if so, fill the gap at the shear plank with Sikaflex or the like, fill the gap between the knee and the bulwarks with mohog. shim, epoxy and screw, then carry on with the cap rail, should go for a good few more years! Cheers

CharlieCobra
06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
C Cobra, It appears as if this will all get a cap rail on top of it... if so, fill the gap at the shear plank with Sikaflex or the like, fill the gap between the knee and the bulwarks with mohog. shim, epoxy and screw, then carry on with the cap rail, should go for a good few more years! Cheers

That's what I was figuring, just wasn't sure what to use to glue the shim since I might wanna pull it apart some day and epoxy would make that damned near impossible. Maybe I should use epoxy on the knee side and resourcinal on the bulwark side. I did soak everything down in there with CPES though...