PDA

View Full Version : Student denied diploma for pretty simple expression of happiness

rbgarr
06-16-2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.wmtw.com/education/19763059/detail.html

John Smith
06-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Good grief!

Keith Wilson
06-16-2009, 02:50 PM
I often suspect that most school administrators are hired as part of a program for find jobs for the mentally deficient.

Kaa
06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I often suspect that most school administrators are hired as part of a program for find jobs for the mentally deficient.

Not only, there's a requirement for being a petty vindictive control freak.

Kaa

Flying Orca
06-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Hey now - most of the mentally deficient folks I know are much too nice to be public school administrators.

BarnacleGrim
06-16-2009, 02:58 PM
What does the ceremony have to do with actually getting the diploma or not?

One thing I liked about the International Baccalaureate system was the proper protocol. Everything was sent to Cardiff to be assessed and revised, without any bias or asshole superintendents interfering.

John Smith
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM

One thing I liked about the International Baccalaureate system was the proper protocol. Everything was sent to Cardiff to be assessed and revised, without any bias or asshole superintendents interfering.
It can get worse.

In Montclair, a student was throwing grapes at lunch. A teacher simply took the grapes. Parents sued. Teacher got suspended.

Eventual outcome? I don't know, as I'm no longer in Montclair.

As to the incident described, graduation is a reason to celebrate. Was anyone injured by the balls?

Tylerdurden
06-16-2009, 03:07 PM
I did work at that school, everyone is super uptight. We had to change out an oven and after it was ripped out one of the principals said we would have to leave during lunch as we didn't have background checks on file. Of course the fact we were bonded didn't cut it. Now we were in the kitchen separated by a wall and door from the students. It was unfortunate for them as we didn't come back for three days though they called everyday asking for it. We just told them we had to schedule it around their lunches.
Finally the super called and said there was no requirement for background checks for outside service and to just ignore him.

I did notice they had DARE signs everywhere.:rolleyes:

I, Rowboat
06-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I didn't go to my high school graduation. I had much more important things to attend to, like climbing in Yosemite for a month. :cool:

John Smith
06-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I did work at that school, everyone is super uptight. We had to change out an oven and after it was ripped out one of the principals said we would have to leave during lunch as we didn't have background checks on file. Of course the fact we were bonded didn't cut it. Now we were in the kitchen separated by a wall and door from the students. It was unfortunate for them as we didn't come back for three days though they called everyday asking for it. We just told them we had to schedule it around their lunches.
Finally the super called and said there was no requirement for background checks for outside service and to just ignore him.

I did notice they had DARE signs everywhere.:rolleyes:

Good for you. When the people on Greenwood Ave. called the cops to complain about letter carriers parked there all day in "two hours" zones, I tried to get the postmaster to not deliver their mail. When they called, say, "Sorry, but your carrier couldn't find a place to park."

He never would.

rbgarr
06-16-2009, 03:20 PM

All students got their diplomas, just not at the actual ceremony. Here's another link with more detail: http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=262415&ac=PHnws&pg=2

In the US the graduation ceremony has become an important celebratory event for students and their parents. It's also a habit for students to spring some kind of prank on the school, which is usually kind of childish, sometimes destructive, and almost always couched in terms of a way to 'get back at the administration'. At one of my kids graduation all the boys had ping-pong balls in their right palms when they shook the principal's as they were handed their diplomas. Then they all lit up stogies on the march out at the end. Childish, kind of lame, but was all taken in good stride.

At the same time many graduating classes make a gift to the school of some kind.

George Roberts
06-16-2009, 03:54 PM
How about this for a prank --- the administrators set their stuff down and walk out.

Now what do the students get - what they deserve: nothing.

Being civil is something each kid needs to learn before graduating.

Keith Wilson
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Orca, you're quite right. Sorry, it was an insult to the mentally deficient. Kaa has it right.

Rum_Pirate
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
and what do we think the most lingering message (think lesson) to the students will be?

Superintendent Suzanne Lukas is an ars<hole

and that probably many people in authority should not be in that position.

ALTERNATIVELY

People in authority like Superintendent Suzanne Lukas also have their

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd80/Rum_Pirate/waa2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rDkBAMP1POg/SfnpFuO6uYI/AAAAAAAAAZc/6zaS0wO5RJc/s400/head_up_your_ass.jpg

BarnacleGrim
06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Our IB school actually had a pretty competent administration, and so were the teachers, for the most part. It was a whole different story in the school where I spent my first year of high school. Those childish pranks may be a very good indicator of how competent the school's employees are. It's valuable feedback.

Bill R
06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
To quote my father, a lifelong high school teacher, college professor and student teacher mentor:

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach become administrators. Those who can't even be administrators become politicians."

The school administration in this case IMO seems to be infected with a bad case of Cranial Rectosis.

Crap like that is why my father left teaching high school after 35 years (a job he absolutely loved). If it weren't for the administration, he would still be teaching.

Tom Galyen
06-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I recently went to a high school graduation where the school board declared that the students could not throw their morter boards up in the air because the year before one of the graduates was hit in the eye by one. There was no serious injury and no lawsuit, but the board did not want to take any chances.

On graduation day just as the seniors were getting ready to process into the gym for the ceremony, the superintendent and the highschool principal showed up with a large box and gave each senior a can of "silly string" to squirt into the air at the proper time. The seniors kept them hidden in the sleeves of their gowns and then filled the air with the stuff getting it all over them selves as well. The spectators went wild.

Don't blame all school administrators because of the over zealousness of a few. I could just as well say that all Mainers are nuts because of this incident, which is just as wrong.

John Smith
06-16-2009, 05:58 PM
What I hated about graduations is alphabetical order.

Always start with the "A"s, and some of those parents left when their kid got the diploma. Then the "B"s, and some of those parents left......etc.

Least they could do, I think, is pick a letter from a hat, and start there. Maybe "M", then go M to L (M - Z, A - L)

Chris Coose
06-17-2009, 05:22 AM
Casco Bay High school, where my daughter teaches, got the kids teachers and administrators involved in some swell performances at their graduation to demonstrate their care for each other.

You keeps kids down and it's like squeezing a balloon. Then the adults get nuts and blame the kids.

Them bad kids should be sent to war to give their lives for their country in a very horrible death.

John Smith
06-17-2009, 06:57 AM
I think the silly string was a good idea.

I'd be inclined to think that as long as "prank" doesn't have the possibility of totally embarassing someone or harming someone, pretty much anything would go.

Rocket balloons might be fun!

huisjen
06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
It makes you wonder what the Bonny Eagle High School Class of 2010 will have up their sleeves. Vengeance is mine, sayeth the students.

And the students shouldn't have rocket balloons. Leave that to the parents.

Dan

Ian McColgin
06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm with Chris and others who think there's something really wrong here with the principal.

Yeah pranks may happen. A stupidly repressive atmosphere will foster pranks that go beyond.

If I lived in that town I'd be all over the school board to start by dumping the principal. Followed by realizing that they hired the schmuck and may need a rest themselves.

Peter Kalshoven
06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
During my son's graduation last year, they arrested 6 people for clapping after their graduate's name was called. (http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/1396321.html) None this year. It felt like a police state last year.
My daughter graduates in 3 years. My father-in-law is a retired aerospace engineer. I'm thinking of sitting quietly in my seat, and triggering off radio controlled confetti cannons. But I promise, I won't clap.

Chris Coose
06-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Apparently it is the superintendent and not the principal.

Bad reviews on this woman from everywhere she has administered in the past.

Town's people are calling for her head. I saw a poll this morning on a local newspaper website and it was about 95% for her to be 86ed.

2MeterTroll
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
yepper land of the free. just makes you feel proud to hear of all this.

S B
06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Definitely doesn't deserve a diploma, they left a spark of independance. Teacher incompetence.

Peter Kalshoven
06-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Definitely doesn't deserve a diploma, they left a spark of independance. Teacher incompetence.

Now that there's funny!

Phillip Allen
06-18-2009, 07:17 AM
is it possible this is an extention of the homeland security attitude...the patriot act come home to roost???

Hwyl
06-18-2009, 07:28 AM
The school is actually the laughing stock of the area. They're desperately trying to pull it up by it's bootlaces. My guess is this student had accumulated a few points against him. It was a mistake by the authorities, but an understandable one, give it a rest.

Rum_Pirate
06-18-2009, 07:54 AM
The school is actually the laughing stock of the area. They're desperately trying to pull it up by it's bootlaces. My guess is this student had accumulated a few points against him. It was a mistake by the authorities, but an understandable one, give it a rest.

Why?

So that they can continue to make mistakes without any consequences?