PDA

View Full Version : After Striping Hull ?

John Carbone
12-19-2003, 02:46 PM
I have a 55 lyman and i went out and bought a heat gun, well two for that matter after one broke, lol. i stripped the top which looks like a teek (sp) wood, and i stripped the hull. so what would be the next step ? epoxy ? and then paint ? whats a good brand paint ?

[ 12-19-2003, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: John Carbone ]

JimD
12-19-2003, 03:01 PM
You have a 55 teak Lyman? Man, are you lucky! :cool: And you are considering epoxying her? Man, are you trying to start a war??? :D Good luck, whatever you do. Sounds like a great project.

John Carbone
12-19-2003, 03:06 PM
lol no i am sorry, i am not good with explaining on the computer, the top looks like it could be teek, the hull is wood not sure what kind, bu the paint is off whats next ?

Paul Scheuer
12-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Pictures is always good. If you go to the Home Page (click at the bottom of this page) and click on "My Wooden Boat" you'll find lots of boats including a Lyman or two. Maybe you could point us to a similar one.

There's also lots of Lyman owners here who I'm sure will chime in.

My advice would be to thoroughly examine everything before you start finishing. I presume you are working indoors and you don't need to get it closed up quickly to protect it. Better to do all of the necessary work and finish it once.

John Carbone
12-21-2003, 05:24 AM
i will get you guys a pic soon thanks, its a 1955 lyman i believe is around 16ft, thanks

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
12-22-2003, 05:09 AM
The decking and hull are probably Mahogany plywood. After stripping the paint and varnish, I would consider "reclinching" the hull (tightening the fasteners).Some of the bronze screws and copper clinch nails might need replaced. I have a 1961 Lyman 16 foot Outboard/Runabout.

Here is a good Lyman website---> http://lymanboats.com/

You can get the original Lyman paint from Sandusky Paint Company. I'll find their website after work and post it for you. Read up on CPES and see if it's right for your boat project. Best of luck to you.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

P.S. What size is your boat? Does it look like this?
http://lymanboats.com/garrett.jpg

[ 12-22-2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Mr. Know It All ]

12-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Sandusky Paint Company supplied the original paint for your Lyman. This is their website--> http://www.sanpaco.com/

There has been some discussion that good porch paint and Kilz oil base primer will work pretty good too.

Kinda depends on your budget. :D

Please tell us more about your Lyman John. :cool:

rjoynt
12-31-2003, 05:52 PM
Kevin, nice looking Lyman! I've got a 1957 16-1/2 in the garage, cars sit outside where they belong.

Are you in the Cleveland area?

Bob

01-01-2004, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah, thats a nice boat. Nothing like the one I have in pieces in the gar....uh boatshop. :D I'm restoring a 1961 Lyman 16ft. outboard. I'm not far from Cleveland in Amherst,Ohio. Are you going to the Mid-American boatshow at the IX center this month? Happy New Year!
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

tommyB
01-01-2004, 09:13 PM
Kevin beautiful boat, one question,your lockers have a anchor in them, my chriscraft has them in all the lockers an drawers were they just on the lymans or are they standard for that era? thanks tommy