PDA

View Full Version : Centerboard Case

Otter
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm thinking of having a centerboard case put in our dinghy. Its an oak on oak dinghy about 10' - 12'.

Generally, what am I looking at in terms of modifications?

Ian McColgin
01-29-2004, 05:54 PM
The only real problem is to relate the size, shape and location of your board to the sail area. Easiest if it's a dagger board as if it prooves inadequate, very easy to add depth.

Generally not too tough a job, though much depends on whether you make a real pivoting center board or a dagger board and whether you need to be able to sit atop it to row and whether the mast thwart will be at the forward edge.

Thing is, you might consider the alternative of one board on the side. Most folk think of lee boards, one per side, but dinks are mostly sailed flat and it really does not take that much strength to keep it in one place. Build out a flattened area on the hull from right under the gunnel to maybe just clearing the water with a modest heel - 8" top to bottom or so. Top of the board round, hole on 4" radius in the top of the board and through the hull a tad over 4" below the gunnel. Pin and key so's the board will be rotated by rotating the pin, which runs into hull and is threaded so as to allow the board to be secured up or down - nice nut let into a wooden handle will do that - and end of pin have a couple of nuts with faces alligned and pierced to pin in place and make a nice wooden lever over that and presto.

No trunk to leak or spew water when towing.

Put it on the starboard side so it's not in the way when boarding the big boat.

G'luck

Buddy
01-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Are you putting it thru the keelson-is it fat enough to have sufficient wood on either side left?
You could go offset to one side of the keel or keelson. Best to incorporate the leading edge or forward half into a thwart for sturdiness- but then is the existing thwart located in the proper fore and aft location to put the centerboard where it is needed to balance your sail plan?

ahp
01-29-2004, 06:09 PM
You might think about lee boards. They work, and were very common in Europe on dingies. They are a little bother to use, but much easier to install.

Otter
01-30-2004, 04:42 AM
Let me say up front that I'm no boatbuilder.

The dinghy is at a professional boatbuilder in another city who has agreed to repair it at no cost. I was just curious as to whether to ask him to install a centerboard / daggerboard case.

I guess from what I'm hearing is that its not all too difficult. I will probably go look at the dinghy next week and take some measurements.

Just sort of "having ideas" and playing with the idea and thought I'd bounce it off of some of you guys. It sure would be nice to have a daggerboard.