PDA

View Full Version : calling all or any firemen?

floatingkiwi
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Is there any firemen out there? Volunteer or not.
I have a question for you guys.
Do you dislike it when locals put out fires before you arrive?
Of course, a blaze left burning for any time longer than it is able to be extinguished , poses threat to all and I am sure nobody wants unnecessary injury or damage or worse. That is not my point here. My point is the fact that you must be bummed, gettin the word and dropping everything and hittin it. Adrenaline is pumping, maybe, then there is smoke, you are the first there, everything goes smooth, nobody is parked over the hydrant,y'all have a job and they are all being done just like you have trained for time and time again and then....hello, some dude covered in crap with a garden hose emerges from the rear of the house where the fire was, saying, " I think I got it".
Do you want to give him a few gallons in the face, pat him on the back. What are your views/opinions here?

2MeterTroll
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
nope dont bother me at all. what i hate is the guy who has a no trespassing sign and then bitches about his house burning down.

used to pack a bag of marshmallows or just such occasions.

LeeG
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm not a firefighter but I sleep with one. I'm guessing they'd do their job instead of relying on a person with a garden house to assess the situation for them. In other words the guy with the garden hose is pretty much irrelevant, they have to stomp around and make sure what is going on.

You could be standing there chattering away but there's already firefighters running around the property laying out hoses on the street, etc.

If you're a cheery fellow who saved his place and prevented a forest fire,,great,, they'll appreciate your effort. If you're drunk or nutzo and the firefighters are cleaning up for a guy who is using a 3/4" garden hose to keep his house from burning down the valley they'll probably be too busy doing their job and leave the feedback to who ever is talking to you.

Basically the fire is the priority, stories are for later.

StevenBauer
05-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Alright, I'll be the one to ask. So how did you set your house on fire? :D

When I was in college my girlfriend and I scored a bunch of eggplant at a farm stand. Great, we thought, we'll cook up a bunch of Eggplant Parmesan and stick the leftovers in the freezer. That involved cooking lots of breaded eggplant in a tiny kitchen with no exhaust fan. By the time the third batch of eggplant was fried the crumbs that had fallen off the first batch were burning pretty good in the pan so it started to get a little smokey in the apartment. We put a fan in the window but that didn't do much. The apartment was in an old wooden hotel with transom windows above the front doors. Ours was open of course so we were filling the whole building up with smoke. Let's just say that those firefighters were not very happy after they burst in the door with their breathing gear on and axes in hand only to find us in the kitchen drinking beer and frying eggplant. :D

Steven

Phillip Allen
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
never bothered me any...I only remember one time when a guy "tried" before we got there and he got hurt (not bad though)

Mrleft8
05-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Didn't bother me at all when I was a fire fighter.... What did bother me was idiots burning brush on a windy day during a drought.

botebum
05-16-2009, 09:13 AM
When I was a volunteer we had a lot of people that used to burn down old outbuildings. We'd get a call from a neighbor and rush over to find some idiot pouring diesel on the fire. We had one that wanted to argue with the chief and when the chief told him that we could either put it out or have him arrested for arson and obstruction and still put it out he finally backed off. Usually when they do it they invite all their friends over and make it a party. If they'd just call us beforehand and let us know what they want to do, many times we could schedule it as a training exercise and do it for them.

Doug

paladin
05-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Let me have the place for 20 minutes and I betcha I can have it down before anyone can respond.......

Captain Blight
05-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Let me have the place for 20 minutes
Slowpoke.