PDA

View Full Version : Must I ?

imported_Sean
03-18-2002, 01:40 PM
I hope you folks are'nt tired of talking about decks.

In the fall I ripped the canvas off the cockpit of my 55 year old sloop because water had gotten under it in places. Just in time !

Now its nice and dry and awaiting my attention. I removed all the hardware etc. The coamings are staying on as they are part of the sheer plank (like a crocker stonehorse)

So now I have wide cedar planks with seams which are really in pretty good shape. I see sailing season looming - Should I put plywood over this then cloth, then epoxy ? Can I just use cloth and epoxy ?

The cockpit is ten feet long by about four wide.

Thanks folks...

htom
03-18-2002, 02:12 PM
As I understand it, there are only two ways that are going to meet with approval:

a) old-fashioned canvas and paint

or

b) plywood, Dynel fabric, and epoxy.

You can't (again, as I understand it) use the epoxied fabric on the planks because they'll move. Fitting plywood into the coamings would be a pain.

Canvas would probably be faster to finish, much less work, easier to repair, and possibly less expensive. Your boat, you choose.

Bob Cleek
03-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Htom is absolutely right. Check the search engine in here and you'll see discussions on canvassing vs. Dynel and epoxy. The critical point is that you can't put the Dynel and epoxy over planking, which will move and crack the coating. I would caution you, however, about recanvassing. If I understand you correctly, your cockpit coaming is the shear plank carried up above the level of the deck. When you removed the canvas, how was the edge fastened? To lay canvas, you have to stretch it over the surface. This is usually done by tacking one side and then stretching from the other side, OVER THE EDGE of the deck or cabin top or whatever, with a canvas stretcher, a tool I'm not going to try to describe, except to say it's a broad hammerheaded sort of pliers with a fulcrum on it that grabs the canvas and lets you pull down on it, thereby stretching it across the edge. I would think it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to get a good edge on a canvas job if it has to be butted up against the inside of the coaming. Usually, canvas is laid across the deck and the coaming is set on top of it. Like I said, how they did it before will give you some idea of how hard it is going to be to do again. Dynel, which doesn't have to be stretched like canvas, may be a much easier fix.