PDA

View Full Version : A few more Qs

ezasfishin
08-05-2001, 10:07 PM
Thanks for everyone's advice om my toe rail questions.

My boat has a wood mast and boom. The mast is about 26 feet tall and I am told it is sitka spruce. It has been varnished with a product called "golden spar". I could find no soft spots or major damage. Do I just keep putting on more varnish as needed or should I be thinking about stripping it? If I do find some rot, is it repairable? I have seen many posts in this forum regarding CPES, what is that?
Many thanks, EZ

paladin
08-05-2001, 10:26 PM
CPES..Chuck Phillips Epoxy Solutions.....
You send all the money you have in your boat repair management fund and I will tell you how I'M gonna spend it...... http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif

PugetSound
08-05-2001, 11:45 PM
Eventually you might have to seriously consider 'wooding' the mast and spars and re-varnishing. Same deal with paint only because you don't repaint as often as varnish the question doesn't present itself as often. The big deal is that, once a finish gets too thick, it begins to act independently of the substrate (be it wood, metal, or whatever). Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are sanding a little bit each time you varnish. The primary reason most people have to go down to the wood is really because the finish failed (i.e. it wasn't maintained as regularly as it should have been).

As for CPES, while I am not sure of that specific product I should warn you that most epoxies do not have UV inhibitors in them so they would still have to be painted or varnished.

Of course, if you want to avoid the varnishing routine and you don't want to paint you can always go the KINKY route and try vaseline (see the thread on this site)!

paladin
08-06-2001, 05:31 AM
CPES=Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer....its a very low viscosity epoxy solution that will penetrate deep in the wood. Search the web under ROT DOCTOR and in this forum under that and CPES.

Scott Rosen
08-06-2001, 12:03 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you like the appearance of the spar, just give it an occassional light sanding and a fresh coat of varnish. Eventually the finish will fail and you'll have to take it down to the wood. When that day comes, you'll want to look into CPES under paint or varnish. But who knows? There may be an even better product available by then.