PDA

View Full Version : Interview!

botebum
05-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Interview in the morning. I guess it's a good thing that it's bath night. There's a timber frame company looking for help. I don't know exactly what they're looking for and I've never done timber frame but how different could it be? I know how to yell at Mexicans in Spanish and I know how to kiss an inspector's ass. What else could possibly be different?
It's got to be better than dusting. Paul?

Doug

The Bigfella
05-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Good luck Doug. I've got a meeting in town myself in a couple of hours to drum up this year's work....

Glen Longino
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
That could be interesting, Doug.
Good luck!

botebum
05-10-2009, 11:01 PM
I just gave myself a manicure. I do it everytime I have an interview. How anal is that?

Doug

J P
05-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Different than what? Stick framing?
I'd say it's generally more like a combination of structural steel work and (big) wood furniture building. Quality and style of work can vary a lot from company to company.

Good luck. It can be very satisfying work. I've been making a living at timber framing for 23 years ... and I still enjoy the erections ... er, raisings. :rolleyes:

BTW in our shop we discourage yelling (in any language) and ass kissing ... ;)

Going offline for a while now. Feel free to PM with any questions.

David G
05-11-2009, 12:33 AM
botebum,

I worked on a timber frame crew for a bit in my youth. I liked it a lot. It is a bit like building furniture. BIG furniture. Whole new set of tools. I'd never heard of a Mafell brand tool before. Or a worm-drive driven chain saw :rolleyes:

And they do call the install an "erection"... as in, "We're going to erect the Johnson frame week after next. Better finish up those bent laminations pronto." In fact (and keep in mind this was Eugene, Oregon in the fast & loose hippy days) the company tagline (not the biz name) was "Stylish Erections." The owners brother did pole barns. His actual biz name was "Quick Erections" :p

Good Luck. If you get the job, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up loving it.

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it. Plan more than you can do, then do it"

ishmael
05-11-2009, 01:27 AM
A friend and I, guy I worked for, built some timber frames. If you have a basic suss of woodworking it's simple as pie. Big tinker toys. The joints are easy. The hardest part for me was learning about big cranes. Big to me anyway.

Good luck.

Phillip Allen
05-11-2009, 02:15 AM
be careful...timber framers think of themselves as artists and will want you to worship at their feet...

BrianW
05-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Let's see...

Have good background info on the company.

Ask some questions yourself. What's the 401k like? Is the job long term? Is safety a priority? Are there future contracts?

Dress at least one level above the job you're interviewing for.

Be early.

Have a copy of your resume, or at least the cover letter.

Sit up straight.

Look'em in the eye, but don't stare them down.

Always be polite to the receptionist! (secretaries hold immense power)

...best of luck my friend!

The Bigfella
05-11-2009, 05:00 AM
Always be polite to the receptionist! (secretaries hold immense power)

I used to often ask the receptionist whether she would hire someone I'd just interviewed. If they don't make an impression with the first person they meet, it ain't gunna happen.

switters
05-11-2009, 09:18 AM
best of luck,

Paul Pless
05-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Seriously, Good luck Doug!
It's got to be better than dusting. Paul?

DougI've been banned from dusting.:D

Why not play up your experience on the construction of those big schooners you worked on. Some of that joinery, has got to be applicable.

botebum
05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Why not play up your experience on the construction of those big schooners you worked on. Some of that joinery, has got to be applicable.I did bring up my expeience building Friendship and he was suitably impressed. I think it went well. He said he'd be calling tomorrow one way or the other.
They build all over the world. The first job is in Maryland and starts in a couple weeks. Then home for two weeks prepping for the next job in Quebec. Do I need a passport to get into/out of Canada? I'll need to get one anyway but is it possible to get one that fast?

Doug

Mrleft8
05-11-2009, 10:21 AM
It is possible, and yes, you'll need one. Sounds like it has possibilities... Are these guys doing everything prefab in a giant warehouse, then dissassembling, bringing to site, and reassembling? Or just making parts and assembling everything on site?

High C
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
...I've been banned from dusting.:D

I see you took our advice. :D

I live in a crude timber frame home. I say crude because the joints are simple notches, fastened with large bolts. She barely wavered in Hurricane Katrina. Rrrrrrrrrrr

J P
05-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I did bring up my expeience building Friendship and he was suitably impressed. I think it went well. He said he'd be calling tomorrow one way or the other.
They build all over the world. The first job is in Maryland and starts in a couple weeks. Then home for two weeks prepping for the next job in Quebec. Do I need a passport to get into/out of Canada? I'll need to get one anyway but is it possible to get one that fast?

Doug

You can pay extra for expediting a passport. Not sure what the time frame is.

Does this shop feed a Hundegger?

be careful...timber framers think of themselves as artists and will want you to worship at their feet...

... what is it with masons? ;)

botebum
05-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Are these guys doing everything prefab in a giant warehouse, then dissassembling, bringing to site, and reassembling? Or just making parts and assembling everything on site?What I understand is that they make parts and ship to the site where everything is assembled.

Doug

Phillip Allen
05-11-2009, 10:51 AM
You can pay extra for expediting a passport. Not sure what the time frame is.

Does this shop feed a Hundegger?

... what is it with masons? ;)

masonry is an arcane sport. It is attended with a certain mystery such as: "What was I thinking???"

J P
05-11-2009, 11:55 AM
... think of themselves as artists ...

"One who works with his hands - is a laborer.
One who works with his hands & his head - is a craftsman.
One who works with his hands, his head & his heart - is an artist."

I've known a few masons who are artists though they are too humble to admit it.
It takes all kinds though and I'm thankful people have different inclinations and abilities - a shop full of "artists" would suck. :)

Good luck Doug. There are some books and publications available. The Timber Framers Guild website has some available and they have online forums.

Robbie 2
05-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Good luck Doug...I knew that things would work out for you if you just hung in there.

jack grebe
05-12-2009, 03:07 AM
I see you took our advice. :D

I live in a crude timber frame home. I say crude because the joints are simple notches, fastened with large bolts. She barely wavered in Hurricane Katrina. Rrrrrrrrrrr
I wouldn't say "crude", you have a beautiful home.I think
rustic would be a better choice of words.

The Bigfella
05-12-2009, 03:24 AM
Result?

botebum
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Just got the call! I go in to do paperwork a week from Friday! I start on the Monday following. That's exactly a year to the day out of work.

Doug

Phillip Allen
05-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Hoo Ray...!!!

pcford
05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Just got the call! I go in to do paperwork a week from Friday! I start on the Monday following. That's exactly a year to the day out of work.

Doug

That's great dude....did a run at being unemployed several years ago. Ain't no fun.

JimM
05-12-2009, 01:13 PM
You can get into and out of Canada with a passport or and enhanced drivers license. The enhanced drivers license would be quicker if you are in a hurry.

botebum
05-12-2009, 01:25 PM
You can get into and out of Canada with a passport or and enhanced drivers license. The enhanced drivers license would be quicker if you are in a hurry.Is the "enhanced DL" available in all states? I haven't heard of it until now.

Doug

Gary E
05-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Congratz Doug
Your new employer wil know how to get your passport done fast... they usually have connections..

SMARTINSEN
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
Congratulations and good luck with the new job.

Show us some pictures of your new work.

Timber frame houses rock.

Uncle Duke
05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Excellent news!
And... that gives you time to recover from Dingo's visit before you have to start work....
:D

Tylerdurden
05-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Congrats Dude!

abe
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Nice to read about some good news around here. Congratulations Doug

abe

P.L.Lenihan
05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Then home for two weeks prepping for the next job in Quebec. Doug

Quebec? QUEBEC! Hey ,that's my home province Doug!!!Whereabouts are they shipping you? Anywhere nearish Montreal,the Paris of North America? I can offer cheap translation services,say like a beer per paragraph :D

If you do end up kinda close by, I'll have to come and get ya and give you the ROYAL tour of my bowshed(royal means Port and lots of it! We'll leave the beer for the pedestrian classes for now,working man! :))

Cheers!

Peter

Congrats on the good employment news!!!!

Dave Gray
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Doug

Yahoo! Great news Doug, I hope it works out for lasting employment!

botebum
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
He just called back to inform me that he is chronologically impaired. Paperwork is the 29th and MD is the 1st. So I guess we can change that to 53 weeks out of work.
Peter, Quebec is a pretty big province but if I go with that crew and I'm anywhere near you I'd love to visit.
Tonya got a job last week and now me. Can you say "high cotton"?:D

Doug

J P
05-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Excellent!

Must have been the manicure ... "artists" look for that kind of thing ya know. sheesh

Got a good sharp 1 1/2" chisel?

Actually, I'm finding those 1" fold-up pocket chisels pretty handy to keep in the tool bag on raisings for light work. Or are you going to wear a tool bag ... or just yell at people, and kiss ass? ;)

botebum
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM
... or just yell at people, and kiss ass? ;)Looks like I'm going to be learning and relearning skills. I actually will be working for a living instead of telling others:eek:

Doug

Tom Montgomery
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Terrific news, Doug! I was keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Keith Wilson
05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Excellent! Congratulations! http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.woodenboat.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

J P
05-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Looks like I'm going to be learning and relearning skills. I actually will be working for a living instead of telling others:eek:

Doug

You might enjoy the work. A lot of it should be pretty straight forward but there's usually some challenging opportunites that crop up, especially if they're doing custom work. Compound roof framing gets interesting. I wish I was spending more time in the shop and less in my office but it's nice to get out on the job sites now and then. Heading to one in about an hour in fact.

Work 'smart', timbers are heavy (and expensive). What species of wood does this company mostly use?

P.L.Lenihan
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Peter, Quebec is a pretty big province but if I go with that crew and I'm anywhere near you I'd love to visit.
Doug

I know it's big Doug but most of the population is concentrated along either side of the St.Lawrence river.....unless it is one of those construction projects way up in Northern Quebec accessible only by plane, then I hope you'll be close enough :)

If you can, see if you can find out the name of the town this project is located at and for how long. At your convenience!

HIGH COTTON!!...there, I said it too :D

Cheer!

Peter

botebum
05-12-2009, 03:37 PM
What species of wood does this company mostly use?
Eastern White Pine and Hemlock are in the base pricing but other species are available.

Doug

JimM
05-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I think that enhanced driver's licenses are available in most if not all states. Call you local state agency that issues driver's license.
You have to present a birth certificate and maybe some additional documents.

John Meachen
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Congratulations!Not just a new job,the chance to enjoy several new experiences eh.

seanz
05-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Goodonya Doug.
:)

oznabrag
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Life sure takes her own, sweet time, it seems.

Congratulations!!

StevenBauer
05-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Great news, Doug! All this talk of starting work assumes you'll survive Shane's visit though. Good luck!

:D

Steven

Jim Ledger
05-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Congratulations, Doug. The job sounds like something I'd like to try.

I hope you'll make a thread about what goes on. Lots of pictures and all.

Good Luck

Jim

The Bigfella
05-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Fabulous news Doug.

Chris Coose
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
great news.

switters
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
sweet, there goes all of your boat building time, congratulations

bamamick
05-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Congratulations, Doug. You can expedite a passport in pretty short order if you are willing to pay the extra $40 or whatever it is now. As far as I know you can go on line and find out anything you need to know. Folks here get the package from the main post office in Mobile and just mail it in, but if we need it in a hurry you can drive to New Orleans and usually get it that day. It's pretty easy to do, and honestly EVERYONE should have a passport. You never know what might come up that not having one will knock you out of.

Congrats again on the job. I have worked at this same company for 26 years. The idea of job hunting scares the beejeezus out of me.

Mickey Lake

David G
05-13-2009, 01:18 AM
B'Bum-

Sounds like it could be a great gig. Good Luck!