PDA

View Full Version : Merriman

pglonek
03-26-2002, 02:16 PM
My plans call for hardware from a company called Merriman in Boston. Can anyone give me information on them? Are old catalogs available so I can see what the referenced harware looked like? Who sells goosenecks, mast sheeves, etc for wooden masts now? Thanks

Thaddeus J. Van Gilder
03-26-2002, 02:18 PM
I am not sure if Merriman is still in existance, but you can get turnbuckle just like theirs from Jamestown distributers.

Art Read
03-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Ah... The "Holy Grail"... Traditional bronze fittings! I don't know if Merriman still exists, but I do see their logo on a lot of the bronze fittings I've been scrounging around through. Mostly turnbuckles. A lot of 'em are still "new", but that doesn't mean they haven't just been sitting on the shelf since the Eisenhower administration... I too would LOVE to get my hands on a "catalog" of their stuff if it such a thing exists. Anybody know?

(BTW... What design are you building? Anything that calls for "Merriman hardware" sounds interesting!)

paladin
03-26-2002, 02:57 PM
Merriman hardware is still being produced in limited quantities. I have the turnebuckles (Bronze bottles, stainless screwjacks and bronze toggles) and their hyfield levers...I do not have the catalog in front of me but it's "Just Rigging" in New England......

John B
03-26-2002, 03:20 PM
YEah, the grail. I look out for them too. Only ever found one good block but I'd buy anything I could get my hands on.

Carlsboats
03-29-2002, 06:36 PM
I have an old Merriman catalogue, ca 1970. Unfortunately it happens to be about 300 miles away. But within a month I will be making the trip, and if anyone has particular items they would like to see, I would be glad to photocopy appropriate pages and fax them out. e-mail me at rckauf@earthlink.net. Carlsboats

Dave Carnell
03-30-2002, 07:43 AM
Isn't it Merriam?

PilotArt
03-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Yes,

smile.gif Merriam 'bottom action' winch handle.

Art

sawcutmill
03-30-2002, 09:28 AM
Merriman bros. of boston is out of business as of 1974.There is several sources still available though....RigRite of Rhode Island located in east Greenwich has a store full of Merriman hardware,blocks,turnbuckles etc..also try MarineConsignment .com in Wickford,RI,they have a store full of used marine hardware.Good luck stephen.

Bob Cleek
03-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Kinda makes ya wonder why some smart guy hasn't gotten ahold of the Merriman line patterns and set up a bunch of little barefoot kids in India, China or Southeast Asia to start cranking them out of old shell casings... nothing like hand finished bronze!