PDA

View Full Version : Uses for this Tool

Scott Rosen
06-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I have some doors to hang at home, and I really want to get this butt mortise plane.

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/buttmortisenew.jpg

Problem is, I can't justify the cost of the tool just to hang a few doors.

Can you help me out and think of any other uses this tool could have, especially with boats?

Dale Genther
06-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Come on, I can tell you REALLY want it, buy it anyway!! You can always hang doors on boats with it. Also, if you really think about it, the dollars it costs does not go down no matter how many uses you have for it. It still costs the same!!

Wild Dingo
06-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Grab it Scott!!! gawd by the time were finished you will be all over the place planin doors!! mmmm Ive got a couple that could use your hexpertize... Scott Rosen come on down!! :D bring plane have work no pay great tucker free board start next week! :cool:

Paul Scheuer
06-11-2003, 12:57 PM
Nameboard background relief, although I'd go for a routing plane.

Scott Rosen
06-11-2003, 01:11 PM
I've got it!

This plane would be perfect for cutting the mortises for lifting rings and hinges on my cabin sole.

On the other hand, my cabin sole already has all of the lifting rings and hinges it needs.

Nicholas Carey
06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
L-N sells a scrub plane blade (convex cutting edge) as an option, so you can use it for surfacing/thicknessing lumber the Neanderthal™ Way (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~alf/en/frontpage.html) (Builds strong bodies 12 way :D ).

Bruce Taylor
06-11-2003, 02:57 PM
1) Buy a nice Lie-Nielsen block plane, or low angle smoother...whatever you fancy

2) Cut the hinge mortises with a chisel and marking gauge (a quick and pleasant job)

3) Hang your doors and enjoy your versatile new plane.

Jim Goodine
06-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Buy cheaper plywood with surface blemishes, cut out blems using your new toy, fit surface repair inlays. Money saved on plywood VERY quickly pays off new toy.... errr, I mean new tool. Or just buy it and take the heat. We can't justify all of our spending.

Concordia..41
06-11-2003, 08:48 PM
It would make a really cool paperweight to hold down a corner of your chart. It might also make a really unique - yet functional - bookend.

(I can justify anything ;) )

daddles
06-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Scott, I am blessed with an unerringly accurate ability to see into the future. In fifteen years, three months and four days time, at 1:13pm after eating a chocolate donut and drinking a revolting coffee made from burnt cork, you will fall in love with and purchase a white ketch of unkown design. Deep inside this vessel is a piece of white ash that you will, during its restoration, need to attack with something sharp but it is so situated that the only tool capable of performing the deed is the above photographed weapon. Grab it now while the opportunity strikes.

Until then, use it to hang doors and weigh down the corner of your chart.

Cheers
Richard
the only man with enough tools is dead.

JimConlin
06-11-2003, 11:54 PM
Can I suggest a(nother) router?
It's reported that Norm Abrams has a dozen.
For me, four is not nearly enough.

Cedarhill Boatworks
06-12-2003, 08:00 AM
With all due respect Scott, that plane is a real dinosaur. Using it is more time consuming and difficult that cutting the mortises with a dull chisel and a bent hammer.
The above however is NO reason not to buy a new tool. Especially one that no one knows how to use properly.
Buy a router jig and a some pilot bits and hang the doors.Then show off your new plane and tell everyone that you used it on the doors. None of us will rat you out.

km gresham
06-12-2003, 08:18 AM
It would look neat hanging on the wall smile.gif Specially with a few other hand tools. We have an old saw hanging on the wall in the den smile.gif

Kermit
06-12-2003, 09:39 AM
You can save some money by getting the old what's-its-number Stanley router plane, which I find far more useful for hinge mortices and the like. If you're good you can just do most of the work with a good, sharp paring chisel. You know, the same one you use to cut rolling gains when planking lapstrake-style. Use simple tools and a sharp eye, lad.

ishmael
06-12-2003, 09:50 AM
What Bruce said. Learn how to do mortises with a sharp chisel and a marking gauge. A good sharp knife is handy too, for setting the depth on the long line. It's a simple method, described in any good book on cabinetmaking or carpentry.

I've never used a mortising plane but they, frankly, looks a bit awkward.

Save your money for something you'll really use often.

Tom Dugan
06-12-2003, 11:25 AM
What Bruce & Margo said. I'm always loathe to discourage a new tool purchase, but you'll be better off with one of their block planes. Schweet! Already got one? Get another one! :D

-T

Scott Rosen
06-12-2003, 11:59 AM
I know I can cut the mortises with a chisel. That's not the problem. You see, I'm looking for an excuse to buy my first Lie-Neilsen plane, and the butt mortise plane is their least expensive at $99.

Truth is, the plane I really want is their low angle block rabbet plane. http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/605rabbet.jpg

I'd also like the chisel plane, because I'm not that great a wood-cutter and I need all the help I can get in cleaning up my cuts. http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/975.jpg

Ken Hutchins
06-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Scott, another option with a lot more uses a scraper plane, :D once you have it you never understand how you got along without it. :confused: I don't have a LN I have a Stanley, the LN is real nice, a friend has one, I've used it ;)

Bruce Taylor
06-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Truth is, the plane I really want is their low angle block rabbet plane. Well, sure. But if you buy that dorky specialty plane, you're $99 further away from the plane you ought to have.

By not wasting $99 you've essentially earned $99! That's free money, Scott. According to my accountants, you're entitled to spend every penny of that windfall--that shrewd investment, if you prefer--on tools!.

Put $99 in the Lie-Nielsen block plane fund. Or, if your chisel cuts are giving you trouble, buy some decent sharpening gear.

Tom Dugan
06-12-2003, 01:03 PM
AHA! So the truth finally comes out. So don't dink around with the butt mortise plane. Get the one you really want!

I got the
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/skewnew.jpg
and replaced the clunky front knob with a piece of cherry I turned myself. Your rabbet plane already comes with a nice bronze knob. Makes me kinda jealous, 'cept I got a half dozen non-rabbet Stanleys of older vintage with similar knobs.

So, again, what Bruce said. smile.gif

-T

Cedarhill Boatworks
06-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Bruces logic appears infallible. I am not going to buy the Lewmar 44's thereby saving the 2800.00, I will use that now to buy the 48's that I really want, and they will actually be cheaper than the 44's. I like this!

Scott Rosen
06-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Bruce used to work in the audit department at Enron.

Concordia..41
06-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Now that I think about it, a chart has four (4) corners to hold down. Better get 'em all :D

- M

Bob Cleek
06-12-2003, 09:12 PM
DEFINITELY, what Bruce says! Come on Scott, you'll use that plane once and hate yourself for buying it ever after. Nobody needs one of them unless they are a professional door hanger and even they all use routers and jigs these days. Use a funky old chisel and hammer, just be careful of the edges. You'll be covering the face of the cut with the hinge butts anyway, so nobody will ever know if you did a crappy job anyhow. You'll get a bunch more use out of the low angle block plane, although I don't know if I'd spring for the Lie Nielsen. They are pretty, to be sure, but their iron rusts the same as a Stanley/Record when you leave 'em out overnight, so what's the point? The way I figure it, you can sign a million dollar check just as easy with a sixty-nine cent Bic as you can with a Mont Blanc! LOL

ishmael
06-12-2003, 09:23 PM
Use a funky old chisel and hammer, just be careful of the edges. You'll be covering the face of the cut with the hinge butts anyway, I beg to disagree. While a hammer and any ole chisel might get a big door hung without panache, there is a small art to hanging doors on cabinets, and elsewhere, which involves a sharp chisel of the right size, at least. Beat on it with a rock if you want, but any ole skaggy chisel won't do. Assuming you, or anyone else, is going to have a close look. And on a cabinet, if you want it to work.

[ 06-12-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

Phil Young
06-12-2003, 09:39 PM
I reckon it'd make a great hammer, hold both ends and WHAM!

HOWdie
06-15-2003, 07:41 AM
On the brink of sounding like flaming. I would say that if you can't manage with a sharp chisel and hammer in combition with a marking gage than your probably not going to get any better results with the fancy plane. After thirty years in the construction business, I still use a chisel and hammer if I am only doing a couple of doors otherwise I get out the butt hinge gauge and router.

Scott Rosen
06-15-2003, 09:14 PM
Howdie,

I appreciate the sentiment. I can do fine with a chisel and hammer. In case you couldn't tell, I was looking for an excuse to buy a new tool.

Mr. Know It All
06-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Scott......You're the man of the house, the king of the castle. You don't need an excuse. You're a lawyer for crying out loud, you can afford it,just go buy it. :D Uh......but if you think of a good excuse, be sure to let the rest of us know.....OK? smile.gif

Kermit
06-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Uh, Scott? How many doors you gotta hang? What's the cost per door? Worth it to ya? Then buy it. Or didja already?

Rick Tyler
06-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Taylor:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Truth is, the plane I really want is their low angle block rabbet plane. Well, sure. But if you buy that dorky specialty plane, you're $99 further away from the plane you ought to have.

By not wasting $99 you've essentially earned $99! </font>[/QUOTE]Not true, Bruce. Before tax he would have to earn about $160 to pay for that mortise plane. Which is enough to buy the LN rabet plane he really wants! So, by not buying the mortise plane he will have enough to get what he wants RIGHT NOW!

Cool.

Now, let's see how to apply this logic to buying outboard motors...

- Rick

Rick Tyler
06-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Bruce Taylor:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Truth is, the plane I really want is their low angle block rabbet plane. Well, sure. But if you buy that dorky specialty plane, you're $99 further away from the plane you ought to have.

By not wasting $99 you've essentially earned $99! </font>[/QUOTE]Not true, Bruce. Before tax he would have to earn about $160 to pay for that mortise plane. Which is enough to buy the LN rabet plane he really wants! So, by not buying the mortise plane he will have enough to get what he wants RIGHT NOW!

Cool.

Now, let's see how to apply this logic to buying outboard motors...

- Rick

Rich VanValkenburg
06-17-2003, 04:08 PM
The kids got me a nice big, sectioned, layered, drawered, wheeled tool chest to use down at the yard and I put all my planes, and everything else boat-related that I needed into it.....and I couldn't lift it to get it into the truck. So, collect all the tools you want, but remember that one day you'll pay hell to lift 'em all.

Rich

:D

[ 06-17-2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Rich VanValkenburg ]