Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Jung
    • Jan 2004

The pen is mightier than the sword

Caught this interesting article in the Times http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/us...o.html?_r=1&hp

and thought it bilge-worthy. So... they're redefining the terms of the environmental movement, framing it in terms less likely to be discerned negatively. Probably a 'good thing', but still.... it's all sales!

"Global Warming....The term turns people off, fostering images of shaggy-haired liberals, economic sacrifice and complex scientific disputes, according to extensive polling and focus group sessions conducted by ecoAmerica, a nonprofit environmental marketing and messaging firm in Washington.
    Instead of grim warnings about global warming, the firm advises, talk about “our deteriorating atmosphere.” Drop discussions of carbon dioxide and bring up “moving away from the dirty fuels of the past.” Don’t confuse people with cap and trade; use terms like “cap and cash back” or “pollution reduction refund.”

I especially liked this: "A summary of the group’s latest findings and recommendations was accidentally sent by e-mail to a number of news organizations by someone who sat in this week on a briefing intended for government officials and environmental leaders."

It's in response to "The research directly parallels marketing studies conducted by oil companies, utilities and coal mining concerns that are trying to “green” their images with consumers and sway public policy."

It's a jungle out there - and the more you see behind the curtain, the more you realize how little control any of us actually have, and how little we know. Anyhow, not all that controversial, but a pretty good read.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....
  • Shang
    • Sep 2000

Re: The pen is mightier than the sword

When the ice caps melt the residents of Omaha may benefit from “shoreline reapportionment“ as Omaha becomes a sea port..

Comment

• George Jung
      • Jan 2004

Eh? Ya lost me there, Shang.

The meat of that article is towards the bottom, I'd say:

Robert J. Brulle of Drexel University, an expert on environmental communications, said ecoAmerica’s campaign was a mirror image of what industry and political conservatives were doing. “The form is the same; the message is just flipped,” he said. “You want to sell toothpaste, we’ll sell it. You want to sell global warming, we’ll sell that. It’s the use of advertising techniques to manipulate public opinion.”
      He said the approach was cynical and, worse, ineffective. “The right uses it, the left uses it, but it doesn’t engage people in a face-to-face manner,” he said, “and that’s the only way to achieve real, lasting social change.”

Something perhaps we could all agree to?
      There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

• Shang
        • Sep 2000

Originally posted by George Jung
        Eh? Ya lost me there, Shang.
        I was trying my hand at "redefining the terms of the environmental movement, framing it in terms less likely to be discerned negatively."

Comment

• rbgarr
          43.50.918 N, 69.38.583 W
          • Apr 1999

Today was our local town meeting. The warrants that attendees were to vote on had interesting titles, sort of along the lines of the linguistic methods outlined in the article. A budget item that was (at bottom) about hiring an additional police officer was referred to by some as the "Morale Improvement and Overtime Avoidance Measure".

Of course it passed! Meanwhile the per capita police force here is seven times the level of surrounding towns of similar size and enforcement needs and accounts for a third of the town's $2 million controllable (discretionary) budget.
          For the most part experience is making the same mistakes over and over again, only with greater confidence.

Comment

• John Smith
            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Shang
            I was trying my hand at "redefining the terms of the environmental movement, framing it in terms less likely to be discerned negatively."
            As Andy Griffin once said, "Shakespear said, 'You can change the name of a rose, but you can't do a thing with the smell.'"
            "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Michael Beckman
              • Apr 2008

Comment

• seafox
                • Feb 2001

and here we plan to ruin the economy when all the temp increase since 1940 has disipeared and we are back to the same level as in 1909.

further in spain for every 4 new jobs created by the green economy it has cost them 9 jobs in the old economy (may be off it might have been 9 lost for 5 gained for a net loss of 4)

you'd think solar cells would be a great goverment investment since once they are made and installed the power is free from then on but for the intrest

Comment

• Osborne Russell
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by seafox
                  and here we plan to ruin the economy when all the temp increase since 1940 has disipeared and we are back to the same level as in 1909.
                  dERE tOOPID
                  Do not speak of "our institutions" unless you make them yours by acting on their behalf.

Timothy Snyder, On Tyranny (2017)​

Comment

• George Jung
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shang

Yer good; you must be with the guvin'mint....

Comment

Working...