PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

switters
05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I'm taking Dunkirk if it's dry, not sure who if it is wet.

Mint Julep

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
good bourbon
Silver Julep Cups

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

no, I dont have silver julip cups, I have red plastic ones though:D

Paul Pless
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
After the last few years' heartbreaks, I doubt I'll ever watch it again.

Paul Pless
05-01-2009, 12:58 PM
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
Sprigs of fresh mint
Crushed ice
good bourbon
Silver Julep Cups

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes. Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of bourbon. Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint. why good bourbon?

switters
05-01-2009, 01:07 PM
you have a point, but I've learned that when the floppy hat crowd finishes off the julip mix, you might want to have a sip or two of the bourbon that's left over ice, I'm fond of Woodford reserve. But I will be spending my beer money on more erwin clamps this payday so it's probably early times for me.

Paul Pless
05-01-2009, 01:14 PM
you might want to have a sip or two of the bourbon that's left over iceOh!make it Wild Turkey for me then.

R.I.Singer30
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
old # 7

Paul Pless
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
old # 7This could be the beginning of a debate, ya know...;)

Tom Montgomery
05-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Dunkirk stumbled badly out of the gate.

This was what the Derby is about: a 50-1 shot comes from dead last along the rail to win by six lengths going away! All those sheiks and kajillionaires get shown up by an itty-bitty gelding purchased for $9500. The trainer went to college on a rodeo scholarship.

The trifecta paid off over $41,000 on a $2 bet.

I rarely drink any type of liquor, much less bourbon, but when I do it is two fingers of Maker's Mark over ice. If you ever get the chance visit the Maker's Mark distillery in Loretto, Kentucky. It is south of Bardstown and near the Trappist monastery of Gethsemani. Maker's Mark is the last remaining traditional bourbon distillery. The grounds are beautiful. You can actually stick your finger into a vat of "beer" and taste it prior to distilling. There is a barrel aging in the warehouse that has my brother's name on it... literally.

Mrleft8
05-02-2009, 06:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58VybmnCVg&feature=related
My mother died 1 minute after the derby 4 years ago..... She was a good woman.

Captain Intrepid
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
you have a point, but I've learned that when the floppy hat crowd finishes off the julip mix, you might want to have a sip or two of the bourbon that's left over ice, I'm fond of Woodford reserve.

Good choice! Hold the ice though. Ice is for cheap liquor.

rbgarr
05-02-2009, 07:23 PM
There was a brief shot of the field as they headed down the first stretch into the turn. One horse was way, way back of the pack, like ten lengths. Is that the horse that won??

Tom Montgomery
05-02-2009, 07:46 PM
There was a brief shot of the field as they headed down the first stretch into the turn. One horse was way, way back of the pack, like ten lengths. Is that the horse that won??
Yes!

I'm fairly sure it was also the smallest horse in the race.

George Jung
05-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Wasn't that jockey a riot? The guy was on cloud nine - and probably did more for the Derby than anything else I've seen in many years - put on a nice show, riding back in front of the stands, high-fiving anyone within reach. Where's he from? Sounded like louisiana. Heck of a jockey.

Tom Montgomery
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Yep, Calvin Borel (Cal Bo-rail) is a cajun and a favorite around here. It was great watching him high-fiving and being congratulated by every track worker in sight. Calvin has only a grade school education but tremendous horse sense. He scored his second Derby win in the last three years!

Cal lives here in Louisville and his popularity at Churchill Downs rivals that of, now retired, Pat Day.

switters
05-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Dunkirk stumbled badly out of the gate.

I rarely drink any type of liquor, much less bourbon, but when I do it is two fingers of Maker's Mark over ice. If you ever get the chance visit the Maker's Mark distillery in Loretto, Kentucky. It is south of Bardstown and near the Trappist monastery of Gethsemani. Maker's Mark is the last remaining traditional bourbon distillery. The grounds are beautiful. You can actually stick your finger into a vat of "beer" and taste it prior to distilling. There is a barrel aging in the warehouse that has my brother's name on it... literally.

can I pick em or what? Woodford still uses copper vats and grow their own oak. Which just made me think, how cool would it be to build a boat out of oak whiskey casks. At the least the smell would drive everyone crazy.:D

my tip for the day, don't bet on the horses.

paladin
05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Grandson got his first ticket ever...a $1.00...went home almost $50 Richer...he's one happy kid....I hope it doesn't start him on the rode to playing the horses.